Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7735 7736 [7737] 7738 7739 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8569108 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #116040 on: May 20, 2019, 12:13:45 pm »

What age were you? And where were the fractures?
I've been looking for some papers comparing incidences and surgery vs xonventional, and thia is the only paper I found that fits the bill

https://www.injuryjournal.com/article/S0020-1383(09)00301-5/fulltext

A summary would be that before 16 and younger around 40% of fractures require surgery (which is a hefty percentage), whereas older than 16  (which outnumber the young)the vast majority require surgery (over 90%). There is an obvious selection bias there (I mean most of those "older than 16" are likely older than 60 as well) but I dont think it changes things very much. I stand by my point: most bone fractures require surgery, and even in selected populations (eg children) a surprisingly high (but not most) number of fractures end up in surgery
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116041 on: May 20, 2019, 04:43:34 pm »

I don't remember the exact ages. I feel like I was in single-digit years (7, maybe?) for the first one, and in my...junior year of high school for the second (possibly sophomore). Both fractures were in my forearms: right arm for the first and left for the second.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116042 on: May 21, 2019, 12:21:34 am »

Do the professional definition of surgery include procedures the layman may not think of as surgery?

I have a fairly "it's only surgery if they cut you open" opinion about the term myself, you see.
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116043 on: May 21, 2019, 12:33:54 am »

-
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 01:24:27 am by JoshuaFH »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #116044 on: May 21, 2019, 03:37:18 am »

Rip Niki Lauda. Hadn't been following F1 in years but that dude was a damn pillar of that sport in terms of dedication and performance.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116045 on: May 21, 2019, 05:29:25 am »

I was thinking he looked much older than 70 in pics, then I read that he had two kidney transplants and a lung transplant. There are no details but it seems he was quite sick
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116046 on: May 21, 2019, 12:22:49 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:13:39 pm by dragdeler »
let

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #116047 on: May 23, 2019, 02:27:36 pm »

I've been having pretty consistent nightmares since I got home from the hospital. Genius me decided to stay up one night, so now I'm sleep deprived and what little sleep I have is full of bad dreams.

AND my computer blue screened for the first time since Windows XP. Because why just have the big things go wrong? A truly awful day hits every spectrum of every moment in being awful.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:35:38 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116048 on: May 23, 2019, 08:56:01 pm »

Oh god.

Everything.

Fuck it all.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #116049 on: May 23, 2019, 09:20:04 pm »

Do the professional definition of surgery include procedures the layman may not think of as surgery?

I have a fairly "it's only surgery if they cut you open" opinion about the term myself, you see.

There's laparoscopic surgery, where they basically poke the tools inside of you via something akin to a giant needle without actually making an incision. I learned that from My 600lb Life.

There's also surgeries where they put needles into places you would not think needles could go, like bone marrow biopsies.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116050 on: May 24, 2019, 04:05:14 am »

Thats pretty cool; I was thinking more in the way of "yes we doctors say setting bones and splints and casts are surgeries" though ;)
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116051 on: May 24, 2019, 12:26:46 pm »

I did a a stupid fuckup thing at work and some poor underprivileged kid very nearly didn't get his special gift outfit stuff for his prom :D

I'm a piece of shit :D
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116052 on: May 24, 2019, 02:42:36 pm »

Actually in reference to the article I linked no, with surgery they mean stuff lile fixing fractures with nails and metal things.

In laparoscopic surgery they totally cut you though. In fact one reason why lapa is not popular for appendixes is that they need to do two incisions instead of one (appendectomies are not terribly invasive to begin with)

Also: I'd barely regard a bone marrow biopsy as surgery, though I guess it'd technically qualify as minor surgery.
(For that matter I'd say that calling those needles "needles" is a bit misguiding :p )

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116053 on: May 25, 2019, 03:15:20 pm »

Completed the current story line of Guild Wars 2. It's a very happy moment, but after thinking about it it means I'm likely to never see my favorite character in the game ever again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 03:18:06 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #116054 on: May 25, 2019, 09:41:44 pm »

Blergh, seemed to have caught a stomach bug of some sort, barely slept an hour because of it and now I'll have to do some five hours of driving, fun fun fun :I
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 7735 7736 [7737] 7738 7739 ... 8156