Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7744 7745 [7746] 7747 7748 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8471151 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #116175 on: June 28, 2019, 07:37:17 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:17:54 pm by dragdeler »
let

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #116176 on: June 29, 2019, 06:53:44 pm »

On a related note I'm starting to think bbq is overrated and d'toute  facon omnnium pecatum est
reee
Burn the heretic.

I laid down for a second and ended up sleeping for some hours during the afternoon. Lost my whole day it feels.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116177 on: June 30, 2019, 05:50:53 pm »

I often find myself thinking back to something my mother said when I was a kid, not to me, but to my eldest brother, with whom she was arguing.
This was one of those vicious sorts of argument where both parties dig deep and say the nastiest, cruellest things they can come up with to upset the other person and "win" the argument, scorched-earth style. My brother, for almost as long as I've been alive he's been... well, a slacker; living with our mother most of the time and rarely leaving the house except to buy cigarettes, complete whatever employment-related activities the government requires him to do, or (more recently) pick up his kids on the occasions he gets time with them - and according to her, getting him to perform even the simplest of household tasks is like getting blood from a stone, if said stone had vocal chords and the ability to complain bitterly all the while.       
Now this was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure the fight sparked off over something to do with his general idleness.

Anyway, this argument was raging steadily until my mother came up with this gem, the killing blow: "You're just waiting to die."    
Whoa. Pretty harsh, no? From what I remember she sought him out later, once tempers had cooled, and apologised profusely, as she often does after eviscerating someone with words.    
This was many years before I heard Townes Van Zandt's classic song, Waiting 'Round To Die, but it was a powerful phrase nonetheless and it has always stuck with me. Nowadays, in my current state of almost-constant apathy and malaise, it springs to mind more and more often. That's basically what I do with myself. It feels like it's more true than I realise, certainly more true than I can express.

How better to describe these days where I lie in bed half the day, dreading to even leave my room lest my housemates see me and sense from my disheveled appearance what an embarrassingly bad place I'm in? The sun rose a little while ago - I was up early, since I woke up hours before my alarm and figured it better to just stay awake rather than going back to sleep and risk sleeping through another whole day - and I thought to myself,"...what am I going to do today?"
Nothing came to mind. Sure, if I think abstractly, there are plenty of things I could or even should be doing, but it's not as though there's any hope of me actually doing so. So I guess it'll just be another day of sitting around wallowing in self-loathing, or as mi madre so succinctly put it all those years ago, waiting to die.

I'm only 26, just how long will I have to wait?
Will I ever get out of this rut, find something worthwhile to do to pass the time with my allotted time? I dunno. This post is probably way too angsty, I dread to even scroll up and proof-read it. I blame being half-asleep. #feltexistentialmightdeletelater
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116178 on: June 30, 2019, 06:36:35 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:17:57 pm by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116179 on: June 30, 2019, 06:47:29 pm »

And once you've done it for so long that you're out of news, especially good news, to tell the people you meet regularly, you begin to avoid them even more.
Wow, dude, you really hit at least one of these nails right on the head, there. That's probably one of the biggest factors to all of my feelbads.   
Anxiety and depression are self-feeding sicknesses. The more they affect your life, the more you're embarrassed by those effects being observed, the more you isolate yaself, and the worse the whole dang thing gets. Bleh. Thanks for the kind words, hope things improve on your end sometime soon as well.   

Maybe I should try learning an instrument again...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #116180 on: June 30, 2019, 07:57:04 pm »

Ah, these things; I have things I want to say to perhaps offer you perspective, but I fear that what works for me won’t work for someone else. Perhaps my fear is more shining a light on how little ambition I have and the means through which I make my life easier, rather than better...

... but anyway, changing perspective might be a useful, if challenging thing. Rather than figuring out what things would make your life... more, I guess is the right word? Rather than that, figure out how to be happy with what you are and what you have.

It is at this point the yawning chasm between what that actually means and how to do it rears its head. Mindfulness is a most important skill to have, particularly when it comes to being aware of your own thoughts, motivations, and changing them.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116181 on: June 30, 2019, 08:19:49 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:18:02 pm by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116182 on: July 01, 2019, 10:49:04 am »

A lot of my countrymen didn't knew the meaning of xenophobia a few years ago. A lot of them know it now. It's sad, this country used to receive virtually anyone with open arms and the saving grace of this place was despite the violence and corruption we never EVER had a sliver of racism or xenophobia. Welp, cet's la vide mon ami.

Also didn't managed to get back but a single movie besides the ones saved on a flashdrive. At least that's enough for peter we the power is in.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116183 on: July 05, 2019, 08:43:41 am »

Maybe I should try learning an instrument again...   

Or get a needy pet. Like a herding dog. It's way easier to give a shit about someone else (especially a pet, because they aren't usually dicks) than yourself, and it's a motivation to get up and do things. Mine has a chair next to my computer chair, so she can let me know when I've been there too long (which is most of the time, if I'm being honest).

Mindfulness is a most important skill to have, particularly when it comes to being aware of your own thoughts, motivations, and changing them.

Unless you've got some sort of trauma thing, like PTSD. Mindfulness is not great when your thoughts, motivations, etc. are mostly terror.

A lot of my countrymen didn't knew the meaning of xenophobia a few years ago. A lot of them know it now. It's sad, this country used to receive virtually anyone with open arms and the saving grace of this place was despite the violence and corruption we never EVER had a sliver of racism or xenophobia. Welp, cet's la vide mon ami.

Racism and xenophobia are tools used by people in power to keep the citizens fighting each other instead of the people in power. The rise in it makes it look like a lot of governments are afraid of their citizens right now.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116184 on: July 05, 2019, 12:53:39 pm »

Who the actual fuck designed bowties?

Secondary question: Who the actual fuck designed all these guides on how to tie bowties? They all seem to have a single step that is very much "Draw the rest of the owl". I can do all the folds, but nothing goes into depth about the fucking loop you stick the second bow into. NOTHING. I can't find a fucking loop. Even better, one fucking guide I found assumes that you're somehow able to make the fucking bow tie go *inside* your chest to get that second bow. It took me some time to work that one out.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116185 on: July 05, 2019, 01:12:49 pm »

"The bow tie originated among Croatian mercenaries during the Thirty Years' War of the 17th century: the Croat mercenaries used a scarf around the neck to hold together the opening of their shirts."

There you go. Let me know if you''d like any other overly literal answers to your clearly rhetorical questions.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116186 on: July 05, 2019, 01:17:08 pm »

Who the actual fuck designed bowties?

Secondary question: Who the actual fuck designed all these guides on how to tie bowties? They all seem to have a single step that is very much "Draw the rest of the owl". I can do all the folds, but nothing goes into depth about the fucking loop you stick the second bow into. NOTHING. I can't find a fucking loop. Even better, one fucking guide I found assumes that you're somehow able to make the fucking bow tie go *inside* your chest to get that second bow. It took me some time to work that one out.
You silly lunatic, you. You don't tie bow ties. You clip them onto your shirt with that handy clip they have.
And if your bow tie doesn't have a clip, then it's broken and you should file a complaint to the vendor that sold it to you (to get a refund), a second one to the Smug Fancymen's Neckfrills Association (for promoting this shit), and yet another to your senator (to hopefully ban it).

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116187 on: July 05, 2019, 03:04:51 pm »

Yes, I made an emergency clip bow tie purchase because fuck that noise.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116188 on: July 05, 2019, 04:40:04 pm »

...Why are we talking to what is clearly an impostor of a dear and treasured forum member?
Love, scriver~

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116189 on: July 05, 2019, 05:39:33 pm »

...Why are we talking to what is clearly an impostor of a dear and treasured forum member?

Does it matter, if we are all Pathos in the end?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 7744 7745 [7746] 7747 7748 ... 8153