Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7759 7760 [7761] 7762 7763 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8471219 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #116400 on: August 21, 2019, 04:20:35 pm »

Yep, absolutely zero news coverage, only found out about it because a bunch of folks I know on FB are into wierd shit like environmental conservation and having a liveable planet that they started sharing stuff about it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116401 on: August 25, 2019, 12:32:02 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:18:38 pm by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116402 on: August 25, 2019, 02:33:55 am »

Establish dominance by wearing hotpants better than she does.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #116403 on: August 25, 2019, 07:02:54 am »

I don't seem to ever reset from anxiety these days, unless I take meds for it; and even then, it only helps a little. For bonus points, it's become bad enough that if I'm not stressed, it stresses me; because the natural state now is that I should be anxious, so if I'm not something must be wrong.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116404 on: August 25, 2019, 07:30:27 am »

No-deal brexit looks more and more likely, it's looking shittier and shittier, and people are still supporting it because they just cover their ears and go "FAKE NEWS! REMOANERS! PROJECT FEAR!"

At this point I think our country fucking deserves it. Maybe being smacked across the head by a hammer that says "This is your fault" will make some of them actually realise that denial isn't the best course of action. Of course, I know how it's actually going to go. 20 years down the line nobody will have voted to leave much like how when it went to shit nobody ever supported the Iraq war, because if there's one thing people are good at, it's changing their own memories so they don't have to face the fact that they fucked up.

What the fuck's happened to political discourse? Or has it always been this shit and my entire life has just been a series of steadily unfolding revelations as to how fucking stupid and malicious humanity is?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116405 on: August 25, 2019, 08:14:54 am »

Twenty years from now the EU will either have fallen apart or become a single state and the UK won't regret having left it.

It's the immediate future that is going to be harsh on your populace.

Ironically, and regretfully for those of us staying in it, the only thing that could have prevent either of these from happening was the UK staying in the EU and digging their heels in against the federalisation fervor of Germany and France.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #116406 on: August 25, 2019, 09:34:53 am »

Yep. Britain aims for the long term, but Remainers can't stop fixating on the short term. Personally I see it as a case of differing priorities, very (extremely) loosely divided between those who value economic stability and those who favour institutional change and reform. Of course, it is much easier to label the last as "the ignorant and deluded"  ::)

What the fuck's happened to political discourse? Or has it always been this shit and my entire life has just been a series of steadily unfolding revelations as to how fucking stupid and malicious humanity is?

Frankly, people like you have. Judgmental and completely, aye unassailably, convinced of your utter correctness. Another side disagrees with me? They're stupid! Ignorant! Misled! Anything other than simply being possessed of differing values and political ideas!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116407 on: August 25, 2019, 09:58:54 am »

I don't see a lot of benefits to Brexit from an economic perspective, but this would be better taken to the EU thread and not here. However one point I came across:

A 2019 analysis found that British firms substantially increased offshoring to the European Union after the Brexit referendum, whereas European firms reduced new investments in the UK.

So, from what I hear the main benefit of Brexit is to stop poorer immigrants coming over. It's kind of predictable that the result of achieving that would be that the jobs go in the other direction - towards where those poorer immigrants are.

Also, good work on having record labor shortages in the UK. The problem with being anti-immigrant is that you quickly use up the pool of available labor and are left with only the absolutely unemployable in the labor pool. So, the promise of jobs for Brits would probably quickly backfire and you end up in a high-inflation / economic stagnation scenario.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/03/uk-manufacturers-face-biggest-worker-shortage-in-30-years-brexit
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 10:07:02 am by Reelya »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116408 on: August 25, 2019, 10:05:49 am »

The "those who value economic stability" ones are the Remainers. I'm certain there will be short term issues.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116409 on: August 25, 2019, 10:08:00 am »

The end result would probably be that your economy is more like that of Japan, if you restrict immigration. There really aren't any example of nations which restricted immigration, then that had some amazingly good effect on the economy. They don't exist.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116410 on: August 25, 2019, 10:58:02 am »

This is somewhat tangential, but I found it amusing to read:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/Research/controlling-immigration-good-democracy

Modus morons indeed.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #116411 on: August 25, 2019, 12:39:46 pm »

For an article entitled “controlling immigrants is good for democracy” one would expect an article that actually explains how controlling immigrants is good for democracy. He doesn’t even do that in the five paragraphs he wrote on democracy and immigration, at the very end of the article.

It was an interesting enough read, if a little shaky in the logic department.

What sort of institutional change are you expecting, when everything else remains the same? The same parties, controlled by the same people, with the same electorate?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116412 on: August 25, 2019, 12:43:30 pm »

Alright, I know I started it but I'm saying we should move this into the EU thread. I was having a bit of a rant at the whole political discourse with the EU being what's on my mind specifically, better not to gum up this thread.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116413 on: August 25, 2019, 01:28:17 pm »

Alright, different thing for me to be sad about unrelated to the above.

I am a complete psychological mess. This summer has been fairly shit (looking up the past few weeks though, I suspect that's down to my medication working), what with the anxiety and depression. Thing is, that's fixable. I can get past that. I've been in therapy for it, and while it's unpleasant I can deal with it.

What I can't deal with is the self loathing. Which I think may actually be inducing the anxiety and depression that I then have to drag myself out of. Whenever something goes wrong I can't help but kick myself over it for months. There's stuff that happened last November that I'm still gnawing on. If someone asked me what I thought was good about myself, I'd be stumped because I don't think there's anything good about myself. I hate my appearance, I hate my personality, I hate my social skills, and I hate that I hate myself. I need a fucking therapist but I can either pay out of my arse for a private one (Not gonna fucking happen, I'm a jobless student) or I can wait months for a therapist on the NHS, all the while the people I'm talking to in order to try and get a therapist are going to try to convince me to go with some other method that won't work like online CBT (I've been doing that, all it's doing is teaching me stuff I already knew which is pretty sodding useless) or the utterly fucking useless powerpoint presentation they got me to go to last time this happened (I mean it was useless. It would only be useful for people with just enough introspective ability to take it in board, but not enough to do any actual introspection). Until that point I'm just stuck here in a pit made of my own self-loathing that's only alleviated every so often, predominantly by friends that I'm unable to see very often right now. And sometimes my brain just decides that being with my friends will make it worse, as in the case of my depressive episode that lasted from January to March.

And the suicidal ideation that started in July hasn't so much abated as reduced in frequency. I still get the occasional thought from the back of my head asking me about it.

EDIT: THinking about it, perhaps this is why I'm getting increasingly frustrated with other people. I'd be unsurprised if I was going around projecting my self-loathing onto everything I come across.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 01:47:13 pm by Great Order »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #116414 on: August 25, 2019, 10:47:21 pm »

I am lonely again. I honestly thought this was going away.
Am I going to have to deal with this for the rest of my life?
No, really. Am I? Anyone have information/speculation?
Pages: 1 ... 7759 7760 [7761] 7762 7763 ... 8153