Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7763 7764 [7765] 7766 7767 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8472519 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #116461 on: August 30, 2019, 03:27:41 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:19:29 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116462 on: August 30, 2019, 04:29:15 am »

One step up from that is COMPOSITE video - the yellow plug. This is superior in every way to RF, due to having a cleaner signal to begin with and because the connector is much better. You still get a lot of artifacting and color bleed, so it isn't perfect. This is the "default" connection in the modern era.

The other day I learnt via a video, that a lot of really old CGA (4 color) games were in fact supposed to play through the CGA composite out, which color-blending and gave effectively 16 colors on the screen. later cards lacked the composite out, so you had to run CGA games through RGB out, which doesn't allow the color-blending effect. Things you learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116463 on: August 30, 2019, 04:43:07 am »

It was more an artifact of the CGA refresh signal, with interleaving causing blended colors-- but yes. :P

it was a voodoo dark art.

Then came EGA, and the art died.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116464 on: August 30, 2019, 06:53:56 am »

Human civilization will collapse soon because we trapped ourselves in an unsustainable system that is slowly killing us

The best part is how people that refuse to admit how fast everything could go downhill, are generally the same that are shitting their pants when there is like 5% more immigration than an average year. They're willing to go full hunger games if there is a  handful of brown people too many, yet they think our society is capable of mastering a real catastrophe, just fucking lol.

Or you know, the refusal to acknowledge that more climate change => more migration. You want less immigration, I want less people to have to leave their homes. Sounds like we have a common goal, but no
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116465 on: August 30, 2019, 07:08:26 am »

Because less climate change == no vroom room sounding car, and damnit, their sexual insecurities have to be placated! Those electric vehicles are for liberal pansies too afraid to eat meat!

/s

You would be surprised the number of people who call me a liar, when I honestly say I am willing to live with dark age furnishings rather than kill the planet. With existing knowledge, we could make that mode of living quite tolerable. It just means giving up disposable packaging, highly artificial  building materials, and willfully letting populations decline instead of intervening medically for everything.

A 6fold reduction in living standards would naturally result in such a population contraction, because keeping people around on permanent medical intervention would be too resource expensive. It's completely unapproachable politically, but mother nature doesn't give a fuck, and neither does the grim spectre of reality.

This kind of violent throw down of civilization has happened before (resource depletion, followed by catastrophic collapse, that is) but never at this scale. Humanity has been systemically unwilling to learn it's lesson on this, and always does the same things, over and over again.  This time, we might kill the whole world down to germs with us. 

Are you willing to live in a mud hut, without heating or air conditioning, and without running water? If you say no, you aren't thinking about this realistically.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:20:35 am by wierd »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #116466 on: August 30, 2019, 07:22:54 am »

and willfully letting populations decline instead of intervening medically for everything.
Is the bit I can't agree with there. I'm certain the costs of modern medicine on the environment could be handled.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116467 on: August 30, 2019, 07:27:18 am »

No.

To make the medicines requires highly refined catalysts, highly refined source materials, often times requires refined petroleum products, very chemically clean glassware, sterile conditions requiring the use of germicides, etc.. etc..

No. Modern levels of medical care would be obscenely expensive.

EDIT:

Think about this kind of scenario: Without the hard work of immunologists, (Who are very specialized workers, who require the support of modern civilization to do their work, and would be unable to do that work without modern civilization), there would be no yearly flu vaccine.

What do you suppose would happen, the next major flu season hits?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:10:17 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116468 on: August 30, 2019, 07:50:38 am »

I'm not going to call you a lair unless you've got a night creature living in your innards
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116469 on: August 30, 2019, 07:55:32 am »

A little late on your witty riposte, I have already corrected it prior to your posting. :P (by about a half hour I might add!)

You can thank my phone for helpfully correcting my spelling of LIAR with LAIR.

Go figure.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116470 on: August 30, 2019, 08:04:27 am »

I actually tried to post it immediately, but the df site decided to not work for a bit so it had to languish in my clipout space for a bit. Oh well!
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #116471 on: August 30, 2019, 08:44:28 am »

Think about this kind of scenario: Without the hard work of immunologists, (Who are very specialized workers, who require the support of modern civilization to do their work, and would be unable to do that work without modern civilization), there would be no yearly flu vaccine.

What do you suppose would happen, the next major flu season hits?

The hell kinda 0th world country do you live in where people actually get flu vaccines? I've heard of it, but you can colour me very surprised if the average African has been vaccinated since their childhood.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116472 on: August 30, 2019, 08:48:43 am »

The average african does not live in a megacity that sprawls and sprawls and sprawls either.

(~4 million people live in Los Angeles, or a little over 1% of the US population total. In ONE city. When you then consider places like NewYork (8.6million, or ~2% of US population, in one city.) as well, along with how contagious influenza is, coupled with a sharp reduction in medicines to treat the fevers, coughs, and other ailments that promote its spread, and directly contribute to fatalities, it paints a very different picture very quickly.)

If people DIDNT get vaccinations each year, there would be absurd numbers of deaths, simply because of how many people are crammed into so tiny a space.  The countries that are most off-put by the notion of a 6 fold reduction in standard of living, are the ones with such mega cities, and the ones that would have such huge die-offs.

The african countries would only have to deal with the bad weather changes. Not highly contagious plagues, and mobs of people looking for resources.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:58:19 am by wierd »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #116473 on: August 30, 2019, 09:16:11 am »

and willfully letting populations decline instead of intervening medically for everything.

Anyone supporting such opinions can start with themselves.

For those that are interested in electric vehicles, an interesting aspect that is (at least in my experience) oftenly ignored is that as long as the necessary energy to use them comes from combustion based technologies (which is what the majority of power plant currently use) then no matter what anyone's marketing campaign says,  they will be as damaging for the environment as the current petrol/oil using ones.

The only thing that we could achieve if we were to swap our fuel using cars for electric ones overnight, would be to improve the situation near large population centers while damning the area and population near every power producing site. So no it's not only about our dick sizes.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116474 on: August 30, 2019, 09:21:31 am »

The majority of US population (total) fits that description.
https://www.governing.com/gov-data/population-density-land-area-cities-map.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/12/18/americans-say-theres-not-much-appeal-big-city-living-why-do-so-many-us-live-there/?noredirect=on

The US is a major offender for CO2 emissions.
https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/each-countrys-share-of-co2.html

AND-- since you brought it up--

Even IF all the power generated going into EVs was generated by coal, the efficiency increase over gasoline engines would at the least cut (our) CO2 emissions in half.
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/10/electric-car-myth-buster-efficiency/

So yeah, its mostly about the dicks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 09:32:50 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 7763 7764 [7765] 7766 7767 ... 8153