Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7781 7782 [7783] 7784 7785 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8474267 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #116730 on: September 20, 2019, 07:31:23 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:23:00 pm by dragdeler »
let

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116731 on: September 20, 2019, 08:44:56 am »

I'm viscerally depressed on an existential level.

... pretty sure I had a nervous breakdown after this
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #116732 on: September 20, 2019, 09:34:03 am »

I guess we got a bit caught up in the energy discussion. Sorry  :(

How are you Hans?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116733 on: September 20, 2019, 11:47:22 am »

Better I suppose. I got to talk to B12 discord peeps and that helped.  (Shoutout to Tiruin and Flame 99, thanks y'all)

I'm just stressed.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #116734 on: September 20, 2019, 01:01:14 pm »

If I remember correctly (from the fitness thread) you were hard at work, preparing for some kind of military test right?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116735 on: September 20, 2019, 01:08:16 pm »

Yeah. I actually eased off into a plateau cuz I'm physically where I need to be. I'm stressed because work changed and instead of fewer hours going into winter, I'm doing like 10 to 15 hours of overtime a week and unloading ALL the trucks instead of two or three.

Plus my paperwork for the navy is in the middle of the "this is where we'd say no" approval process and I'm waiting for news about it.  On top of two babies and no sleep last night.
He's fucking with us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116736 on: September 20, 2019, 01:25:58 pm »

I just got off the phone with my own Navy Recruiter, and I've been turned down for some medical issue... nothing specific given... I'm just fucking demoralized, I was really relying on this for a better future. I was also turned down by the Air Force... Like, can't I get a fucking foot in anywhere? Just anything to give me the slightest purpose? I just have no fucking clue what to do with my life.

I've been working really hard too, harder than ever before, just because I want to finally make some headway and get somewhere. GUESS THAT'S NOT ENOUGH, SCREAMING THAT I'M WILLING TO WORK HARD AND DO ANYTHING AND IMPROVE MYSELF AND MAKE A CONTRIBUTION JUST ISN'T ENOUGH; BECAUSE OF SMALL SHIT FROM YEARS AGO JUST HELD AGAINST ME FOR FUCKING EVER LIKE I'M A CONVICT ...

Is... is this where I get fucking desperate and insane? If I'm going to get the kind of change I want in life, I'm just going to have to destroy it; as any kind of sane transition is increasingly impossible, and it's obvious the rest of the world wants it to be impossible.

I just don't know what to do.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116737 on: September 20, 2019, 02:48:26 pm »

Shit Josh, that really sucks.
He's fucking with us.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116738 on: September 20, 2019, 04:40:37 pm »

Could you get a doctor's note or something to clear the medical refusal?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116739 on: September 20, 2019, 11:32:40 pm »

I wasn't given a clear reason, but if it wasn't for the childhood asthma, then it might have been because I blabbed about having seen a counselor, and then had to pony up my medical records regarding those, and while I don't think it was *too* vilifying, it might have given them enough of a glimpse to conclude that I'm an anxious, neurotic nutcase... Such that the reason the Air Force DQ'd me was summed up in a single word: "Unstable"
God that fucking digs under my skin. Like, if I could get even just a little bit of what I want out of life, I'm certain that I'd be 100% fine; but I don't, and so over the course of my difficult and joyless life I've been accumulating mental problems and suffering for it, until I was forced to reach out to a counselor for any kind of relief, and then subsequently I'm punished for it by being denied what I want out of life. Heads you win, tails I lose.

I just don't know what kind of perfect male specimen they wanted me to be; and I didn't want to lie to them by omitting knowledge of my medical history when asked; and it hurts extra bad because I'm perhaps the healthiest I've ever been, and I just can't prove it. They're not even interested in any kind of proof as far as I can see; they just see a potential red flag far off in the distance, and Madagascar shuts everything down just to be safe.

Of course, without being able to see the exact reasoning that went on behind the scenes in the military medical offices, I can't know the exact reason, but that's my best guess as to what happened; I accept that maybe I'm being bitter and angry over my own hyperbolic guesses. Who knows.

There was a caveat with the Navy Recruiter however, that I can try again "Next year when the system changes" or something to that effect, so I guess there's still hope in that department. Far off, possibly imaginary hope, but hope. Right now though, I'm trying to tabulate what my current options are, cause up to this point I've been foolishly overconfident in assuming I'd be able to join up, and so put all my eggs in one basket, and now I'm just bawling cause my basket got dropped and all my eggs are smashed. When you boil it down, my current distress and anguish is, once again, my fault. I just gotta figure out what I can do, and just keep going forward I guess.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:57:13 pm by JoshuaFH »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116740 on: September 21, 2019, 12:30:28 am »

No one is born “a worthless peon and a shithead.” Shit happens in life, and it can easily snowball like you described. It’s nothing about you. It’s just the RNG rolled his dice and decided you were going to suffer that day. Then it snowballs, as things naturally do. It’s hard to go up against nature’s snowballs. It’s in no way your fault that you didn’t win against them yet or didn’t anticipate the next die roll or dared to have hope. All you have to do is keep going. Every bad day has to end eventually, right? Strength to you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 12:32:04 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116741 on: September 21, 2019, 01:37:45 am »

A lot of things are down to pure luck. I saw on a gaming TV show about this guy who got a job as an animator for a gaming company. He thought he must have submitted an awesome demo reel, later he found out his was the only application they received. This is why submitting resumes can pay off. Maybe they got 100 people applying, maybe they got nobody.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116742 on: September 21, 2019, 03:12:55 am »

I wasn't given a clear reason, but if it wasn't for the childhood asthma, then it might have been because I blabbed about having seen a counselor, and then had to pony up my medical records regarding those
Let me give you a hint: you don't have to mention every hangnail you ever had at occupational healthcare. Focus on stuff that's relevant because it's recent, ongoing, or chronic.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116743 on: September 21, 2019, 04:34:53 am »

Yeah, I realize that now, but I was just too damn naive and nervous; and apparently no amount of "But it was never a big deal and it's all completely resolved now" is enough to get them to believe me.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116744 on: September 21, 2019, 04:40:13 am »

That's funny, I told the army that I suffered from depression and the doc at the health checkpoint quizzed me about it before determining that I "Wasn't really depressed", and then clearing me through.

(Anxiety + depression + army life = Bro I'm straight up not having a good time), as it were.

Then I also had a friend who got expressly denied because he'd had what was diagnosed as an epileptic seizure one time when he was 8.
Pages: 1 ... 7781 7782 [7783] 7784 7785 ... 8153