Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7793 7794 [7795] 7796 7797 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8473680 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #116910 on: October 09, 2019, 05:28:30 pm »

The Geneva convention specifically mentions giving food unworthy of human consumption to the local populace as cruel and unusual punishment and therefore a war crime. Doomblade187 is absolutely right
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116911 on: October 09, 2019, 05:31:59 pm »

If circus peanuts are unfit for human consumption, why are they sold to humans as edible?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116912 on: October 09, 2019, 05:32:41 pm »

There are countries that did not sign it. There are others that did not ratify it. Russia and Japan, respectively.

The convention is still the standard for how those things are reacted to. For instance, Syria signed but did not ratify the convention. We still blew them the hell up a couple years back in retaliation for the use of chemical weapons.

So yeah if we wanted to we could point to the Geneva Convention as a standard and act upon it based on the idea that a government force feeding circus peanuts to a prisoner is a violation of human rights.

Also whatever Taco Bell is allowed to exist. They don't serve food.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116913 on: October 09, 2019, 05:33:51 pm »

EXCUSE ME.

Taco Bell serves real food, and it is real good.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116914 on: October 09, 2019, 05:36:53 pm »

I don’t think serving circus peanuts is a crime, though. My question was trying to make the point that if it is edible and not poisonous, it is fit for human consumption, so circus peanuts and Taco Bell are not violating the Geneva Convention

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116915 on: October 09, 2019, 06:14:47 pm »

Its not a matter of it being poisonous per se, it's the psychological torture inflicted.

Plus we dont know the effects they had on his guts. Those peanuts might well be poison
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116916 on: October 09, 2019, 07:01:29 pm »

Let's just ban the Geneva convention already. What a fuckin' joke.

I'm still pretty drunk right now but I would totally agree with this sentiment whilst sober, so whatever.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #116917 on: October 09, 2019, 07:08:19 pm »

I don’t think serving circus peanuts is a crime, though. My question was trying to make the point that if it is edible and not poisonous, it is fit for human consumption, so circus peanuts and Taco Bell are not violating the Geneva Convention

But you can commit war crimes with something not intended for that purpose, can you not?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116918 on: October 09, 2019, 07:10:06 pm »

You could, but I don’t think feeding peanuts to people is a violation of human rights

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #116919 on: October 09, 2019, 07:10:16 pm »

1. Actual sad/worrying thing: I am not an incel, but it seems I do share many traits with "nice guys"; i.e. the nasty r/nice guys type.
2. I realized this a long time ago, but didn't have a name for it, and didn't try to change it ... nor do I really know how to change it now either.

3. It's almost certainly linked to a general issue with low empathy as well, which I'm also not sure how to resolve.

4.The thing is I know that all these are issues and not okay. I could explain to you perfectly well why each of these things aren't normal. If someone asked me what I believed about each of these topics, I'd hold to the position that these stances (incel-dom, niceguy-ism) on the topics are wrong. But that doesn't help me in actually resolving them.

Again: pointers?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 07:26:04 pm by Eschar »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #116920 on: October 09, 2019, 07:24:39 pm »

Do countries IRL even follow it? I’m not sure if they do or not, It would be nice if they did, but I don’t think all of them do.

The Geneva (regulating treatment of civilians, prisoners of war, and non-combat personnel such as chaplains and medics) and Hague (regulating which weapons are permissible in what contexts) conventions are very much followed IRL. Where things get messy is dealing with insurgents, terrorists, and non-state combatants - these are not explicitly protected by the Conventions, and most countries have a... less than stellar record of humane treatment of such persons. There is, of course, a great deal of misconception on what the Conventions actually cover, sometimes making their way into actual military training, but those tend to be more strict than the actual text, not less.

The purpose of the Conventions is that certain tactics (bombing hospitals, strafing refugee columns, poisoning water supplies, permitting no prisoners) and weapons (poison gas, blinding lasers, small explosive bullets, etc.) will give a significant advantage if one side is using them, but the advantage will cancel out completely if all sides are doing so. Thus, the only thing they do is make war much nastier for everybody without changing the outcome of the war even slightly. Thus, almost everyone agreed to a set of "we won't do this as long as you don't" treaties to keep the nastiness down.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116921 on: October 09, 2019, 08:35:24 pm »

Do countries IRL even follow it? I’m not sure if they do or not, It would be nice if they did, but I don’t think all of them do.

The Geneva (regulating treatment of civilians, prisoners of war, and non-combat personnel such as chaplains and medics) and Hague (regulating which weapons are permissible in what contexts) conventions are very much followed IRL. Where things get messy is dealing with insurgents, terrorists, and non-state combatants - these are not explicitly protected by the Conventions, and most countries have a... less than stellar record of humane treatment of such persons. There is, of course, a great deal of misconception on what the Conventions actually cover, sometimes making their way into actual military training, but those tend to be more strict than the actual text, not less.

The purpose of the Conventions is that certain tactics (bombing hospitals, strafing refugee columns, poisoning water supplies, permitting no prisoners) and weapons (poison gas, blinding lasers, small explosive bullets, etc.) will give a significant advantage if one side is using them, but the advantage will cancel out completely if all sides are doing so. Thus, the only thing they do is make war much nastier for everybody without changing the outcome of the war even slightly. Thus, almost everyone agreed to a set of "we won't do this as long as you don't" treaties to keep the nastiness down.
Thank you for the information

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116922 on: October 09, 2019, 09:33:42 pm »

1. Actual sad/worrying thing: I am not an incel, but it seems I do share many traits with "nice guys"; i.e. the nasty r/nice guys type.
2. I realized this a long time ago, but didn't have a name for it, and didn't try to change it ... nor do I really know how to change it now either.

3. It's almost certainly linked to a general issue with low empathy as well, which I'm also not sure how to resolve.

4.The thing is I know that all these are issues and not okay. I could explain to you perfectly well why each of these things aren't normal. If someone asked me what I believed about each of these topics, I'd hold to the position that these stances (incel-dom, niceguy-ism) on the topics are wrong. But that doesn't help me in actually resolving them.

Well, I personally don't know the exact issues or the resolution, but as a person who struggles with empathy sometimes, I just imagine myself being treated that way and then adjust my behavior, or use what I know about someone to adapt my behavior to be acceptable to them, very conciously. Inact different around different people, some people get more consideration than others.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116923 on: October 09, 2019, 10:57:00 pm »

If you want advice for that, you need to be more specific. What kind of "nice guy" are you? Example:

When you act "nice" to women and they don't end up liking you, do you:

A) accept it and move on
B) Silently resent them for not appreciating you
C) Send them angry texts about how they're dumb bitches who don't know what they're  missing

The distinction isn't just an issue of gauging severity. The kind of nice guy who answers C is usually quite different from the nice guy that answers B. Sometimes specific women really are bitches and in that case answering A would be the wrong choice since that would make you a doormat and also the kind of person who is vulnerable to entering abusive relationships. As a man, you've gotta balance treating others with respect with treating yourself with respect (among other things).

Please talk more about this, actually. I've been dealing with these kinds of issues for many years so I'm sure I've got a few useful tips.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116924 on: October 10, 2019, 12:31:12 am »

Can I recommend the book "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Robert Glover? I honestly really love it.
Pages: 1 ... 7793 7794 [7795] 7796 7797 ... 8153