Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7799 7800 [7801] 7802 7803 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8541582 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #117000 on: October 20, 2019, 05:46:20 am »

But it's not a mild sad, so normal text doesn't cover it. It seems both more and less sad.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #117001 on: October 20, 2019, 06:08:20 am »

But it's not a mild sad, so normal text doesn't cover it. It seems both more and less sad.

PoSt In MiXeD cAsE

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117002 on: October 20, 2019, 06:44:13 am »

mY lIFe Is iN EXisteNtiAL mELtDowN
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SupremeSandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117003 on: October 20, 2019, 05:02:50 pm »

Got nothing going on, nothing interesting on the horizon and am being pressured to get into teaching (a career I equate to torture) by people who want me to do a nice safe job so they don't have to worry about me. As over dramatic as it sounds I think they're okay with me dying on the inside so long as I'm safe on the outside.

Get a degree they said, it'll open up interesting shit they said. Seems like an English degree is only useful for teaching other people the things you were taught on the degree. Just about the only thing holding my interest at the moment is videogames and lurking on this forum (as pathetic as that makes me sound).

If you've read this sorry for wasting your time :)
Training enormous always-burning baby elephant gladiators, who wield inanimate lions.

This is literally possible.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117004 on: October 20, 2019, 05:26:28 pm »

Why do you think teaching is torture?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117005 on: October 20, 2019, 05:28:40 pm »

Hah, that's relatable. My mother is pushing for me to do a PGCE.

No.

Why do you think teaching is torture?
It's not for everyone. I think I'd be good at it, actually, but the idea of it seems tedious and unrewarding. It's just somewhere to throw people after they finish a degree which has no jobs at the end.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117006 on: October 20, 2019, 05:29:25 pm »

Oh

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #117007 on: October 21, 2019, 02:34:06 am »

Teaching is a passion job. The pay's terrible, the hours are absurd, you don't get leave outside of school holidays, and you have to work with kids. If you don't want to do it, you'll hate it and as a result almost certainly be bad at it, sooner or later.

Some jobs you can get by with putting no emotional investment in and just using them to get money so you can live a real life after hours, but between the pay and the nature of the job, teaching isn't one of them.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117008 on: October 21, 2019, 09:51:27 am »

Get a degree they said, it'll open up interesting shit they said. Seems like an English degree is only useful for teaching other people the things you were taught on the degree.

That's not true. They can also instill a lifelong hatred of reading by making it a joyless experience for the sake of passing a test. That's not 100% on the teachers, but a lot of them seem very dedicated to it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #117009 on: October 21, 2019, 12:04:50 pm »

Get a degree they said, it'll open up interesting shit they said. Seems like an English degree is only useful for teaching other people the things you were taught on the degree.

That's not true. They can also instill a lifelong hatred of reading by making it a joyless experience for the sake of passing a test. That's not 100% on the teachers, but a lot of them seem very dedicated to it.

That was my high school experience of English. Loved reading before that, didn't read much during high school, rediscovered it shortly thereafter.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117010 on: October 21, 2019, 12:39:38 pm »

My job becomes more kafkian by the minute
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #117011 on: October 21, 2019, 12:42:18 pm »

Are you metamorphosing into a giant roach?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117012 on: October 21, 2019, 12:49:20 pm »

I think his job is turning other people into giant roaches.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117013 on: October 21, 2019, 12:52:15 pm »

That explains the gesticulating roaches in people clothes wandering around the city. I assumed it was an improv group.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117014 on: October 21, 2019, 01:01:19 pm »

Might as well be.

All I know is that three months ago, I was running my own clinics, planning chemotherapy, doing my lab-work, etc... all by myself. And it was appretiated. Even in my last job (which I left because I was unhappy with their behavior towards me) there were no complaints and there was implicit approval of my praxis.

Here? I came in theory to develop and take over a specialized technique. Not only am I not doing that (and I honestly doubt it was in the books) but I have no real role here. Just wait for someone to fall sick to cover the gap.   I suspect I could spend most of my workday in the coffee shop and none would be the wiser

I dont think they truly had a plan for me beyond keeping me as a spare tire. This would probably suit perfectly someone right out of training to get practice. But I have quite a bit of mileage already and it just frustrates me.

I want to try to stay a bit longer just so that it looks better in my CV. But odds are that I'll leave early 2020. Back to Ireland if I can. If not back to Euskadi.

I suppose its possible this will do an U turn before that but I kind of doubt it.

I think his job is turning other people into giant roaches.
Well I'm, of course, a devoted servant of the Outer Gods and Their Messenger, Heart and Soul who is Nyarlathotep. But I meant my more mundane job
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:05:04 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7799 7800 [7801] 7802 7803 ... 8155