Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7843 7844 [7845] 7846 7847 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8540714 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #117660 on: January 18, 2020, 07:57:23 pm »

Christopher Tolkien passed away and that makes me very sad.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117661 on: January 18, 2020, 08:10:12 pm »

It occurs to me now that I don't think I'm cut out to continue pursuing my major. As a Journalism major, I'm currently taking a class that requires me to write a minimum of 2 articles a week.

I'm having difficulty just writing one, and part of that is because I can't come up with any ideas for stories so the one I came up with was kind of last-minute and ill-prepared. I'm sitting at my desk right now with barely 15 minutes worth of interviews (probably less since some of that recording is silence) and I have no idea how to put that into a cohesive story that isn't extremely dry.

Real journalists don't really "come up with ideas" very often. They'll have templates for the kind of stories they can use to pad the paper. Go into pretty much any small business when they're not too busy, ask the owner about what they think of the local government rules that affect their business. Get a chatty person and you'll probably get hours of recording on a variety of topics. The key would probably be to ask "open" questions at first. Don't go in with a pre-prepared list of "closed" questions, because then you'll get short answers you probably won't be able to use. If you get more than one topic from a conversations, split it up and use the material to craft multiple weeks worth of stories. That'll give you some topics you didn't know about so you can fine-tune it by interviewing different people about it, or doing research and quoting other publications. And keep any quotes around from the first interview to pad out more than one story. Nobody ever said you can't quote the same person in two different stories and just omit the fact that both quotes came from the same interview.

For ideas about types of stories that you can write when you have nothing to write about, go read small town papers. That's suitably local for the type of stuff a journalism student can write. Also, go look for any student council, campus clubs, classes, workshops, meetup.com things etc that are running in your vicinity. You don't need "breaking news" two times a week. There are all types of subcultures, band fans, D&D/boardgame/videogame players, sports fans etc. Interview people about hobbies and interests. Also consider hanging round a cinema and interview people about a movie or about how often they go to the cinema.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:22:31 pm by Reelya »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #117662 on: January 18, 2020, 09:41:13 pm »

Still thinking of going to have my major changed, but if I do decide to stay the course, I'll keep that advice in mind.  Thanks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117663 on: January 18, 2020, 11:09:41 pm »

Still no offers from the HSE  :-\
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tingle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117664 on: January 19, 2020, 12:39:10 am »

Look at the bullshit modern professional journalists get away with, and copy that.

This is horrible advice.
Journalism needs revitalising not the continuation of its culture.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117665 on: January 19, 2020, 03:56:08 am »

It certainly does!

I don't think telling that to the professor is going to work though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117666 on: January 19, 2020, 03:31:49 pm »

No jobs expected in Cork in the next few months ☹
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #117667 on: January 19, 2020, 04:52:02 pm »

Quite a change in industry there, Poo.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117668 on: January 19, 2020, 04:57:56 pm »

This really isn't the thread for bottling it up.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117669 on: January 19, 2020, 08:18:10 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:37:33 pm by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117670 on: January 19, 2020, 08:57:25 pm »

It's time to go to the authorities and file a complaint or something drag. Be smart and don't let your anger boggle your mind.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117671 on: January 19, 2020, 09:34:42 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:38:07 pm by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117672 on: January 20, 2020, 08:08:39 am »

Typed out this rant earlier, when my internet decided not to work. Might as well post it now.

I really hate how passive I am.

Just now hours ago in the daytime when I wrote this, I was heading back from some stupid appointment and it occurred to me that I should hit up this great local bakery that I'm more-or-less a regular at.
This is a venture that for me is generally fraught with anxiety, but I figured I really ought to do so since I hadn't been in some months now, plus I have a tab there that my dad paid for and I would like to eat my way through that before I (presumably) move away from the area next month and it ceases to be so convenient.   

So I turned down the appropriate street and made my way along it in search of tasty baked goods.
The first obstacle was not long in coming: midway along the street I was almost run down by a derro on a pushbike (one of those kids' ones with the wide tyres, no less). At first I made to hold my ground, since this dickhead was riding on the wrong side of the footpath, but I saw in his tweaker eyes and dull-witted expression that he wasn't likely to alter his course for anything.
I scurried out of his path, hating myself for it. Should have held firm and shoved him off his stupid bike if he tried to collide with me. I consoled myself with the thought that I wasn't looking for trouble, I was just trying to get to the bakery with a minimum of fuss added to this already-stressful journery - and so thinking, I pressed on.

Before long, I made it, struggling through the irritating plastic flaps guarding the entrance with something close to relief. But my relief was short-lived - the inside of the cafe was mildly crowded, and one of the other customers had brought along a friggin' pram. The inconsiderate bitch had left it parked right in the walkway you're supposed to queue in, no less, blocking most of the space between a set of tables and the counter.
At first I decided to keep my distance and wait it out 'til I could be served, and so I occupied myself intently studying various legumes, cake mixes and tubs of spices along a nearby set of shelves. This didn't end well at all, since a couple more customers entered the shop and breezed past me before the first gronk had even finished ordering.
Hating myself for shooting myself in the foot like that, I made my way closer to the front counter. I didn't want to stand immediately next to the obstructing pram, since I wanted nothing to do with this lady's disgusting little crotch-goblin, so I hung back a bit - but not so far that it wasn't very clear that I was waiting to be served.   

Then, to my utter shock, some bogan clad in high-vis and wearing a trilby decorated with metal studs pushes past me and makes his way up to the front. Now and appropriate response here would have been to hamstring the rude fuck and stand on his head, or at the very least raise my voice and tell him not to push in, but instead... I simply turned and left. I went home with no tasty Lebanese baked goods, just a rotten mood and increased levels of self-loathing.     
Perhaps violence is "not the answer", but it's certainly a damn sight better than the ones I tend to come up with.   

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117673 on: January 20, 2020, 09:03:23 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:38:11 pm by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117674 on: January 20, 2020, 09:50:00 am »

In my quest to develop a social life and join the community of the living, I have unwittingly become the confidant of several friends. I apparently have "one of those faces" that people can talk to.

I am now full of secrets. Dark, poisonous secrets. About and from the people I looked up to and hoped to emulate in the attempt to make an actual life for myself.

Don't get me wrong; I like being able to help, and I do appreciate the trust they place in me... But damn.
Pages: 1 ... 7843 7844 [7845] 7846 7847 ... 8155