Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7866 7867 [7868] 7869 7870 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8649120 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118005 on: March 10, 2020, 04:08:27 pm »

I don't really have $150 discretionary cash either.

Plus I don't consider paying "more" to Apple paying for the logo - I consider it buying something instead of paying for it with advertising.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #118006 on: March 10, 2020, 09:17:45 pm »

Most Android tablets don't have advertising (above and beyond what you find everywhere on the Internet), once you uninstall the bloatware. Apple hardware is more expensive solely and entirely because Apple makes it, and they know their cultists will buy anything with their logo.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118007 on: March 10, 2020, 09:29:19 pm »

What are some examples of “bloatware” I am assuming bloatware means software that serves no purpose and takes up space

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118008 on: March 10, 2020, 09:41:13 pm »

What are some examples of “bloatware” I am assuming bloatware means software that serves no purpose and takes up space

Like maybe 60% of the software PCs come with out-of-the-box.  The anti-virus that's kinda half there just to sell you the rest of it.  A lot of bloatware is just stuff the PC manufaturer thought somebody wanted or stuff that people want to sell you.

Probably the best (as in least shit) bloatware was one of my old PCs came with an "arcade" that was a bunch of demos from I think Wild Tangent.  Most of the games were kinda low budget shovelware type games, but one of them was a Diablo one clone called Fate.  Fate was actually pretty fun and I even ended up buying the full game when I found it way later.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118009 on: March 10, 2020, 09:42:37 pm »

Yeah, Fate was pretty fun. :) And definitely go Android over Apple for tablet cost effectiveness. Main thing to watch for is OS version - some can't run the newest apps.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118010 on: March 10, 2020, 10:19:59 pm »

I might have played the demo of Fate, though I don’t remember much of it

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #118011 on: March 10, 2020, 10:41:41 pm »

If its the Fate im thinking of, yeah
Fate is great.

I wish I could find that disc of Fate three I had.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #118012 on: March 10, 2020, 10:43:27 pm »

Main thing to watch for is OS version - some can't run the newest apps.
In my experience, anything Lolipop (5.x) or newer is pretty much needed to get decent app support. KitKat (4.4.x), the version right before it, is poorly supported as far as apps go. (The Play Store doesn't let you install the last version of an app supported by your device, either. It just doesn't show up at all.)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118013 on: March 11, 2020, 05:38:49 am »

In my experience, anything Lolipop (5.x) or newer is pretty much needed to get decent app support. KitKat (4.4.x), the version right before it, is poorly supported as far as apps go. (The Play Store doesn't let you install the last version of an app supported by your device, either. It just doesn't show up at all.)
Lollipop? KitKat? What’s the newest version called? Are all versions named after food?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118014 on: March 11, 2020, 05:47:39 am »

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're all named after foods, specifically desserts.   
I remember crying tears of blood over my old smartphone being incompatible with the Oreo version or something, which meant I couldn't save things directly to an SD card. Was a right pain in the arse. >.>   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #118015 on: March 11, 2020, 05:54:21 am »

Lollipop? KitKat? What’s the newest version called? Are all versions named after food?
Lolipop and KitKat are version codenames for Android, versions 5.x and 4.4.x respectively. The newest version is Android 10. They stopped after Pie (9.x) because it got harder and harder to find desserts that started with the letter they wanted that would also be recognizable by everyone.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:19:40 am by methylatedspirit »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118016 on: March 11, 2020, 07:14:41 am »

Don't be so harsh on the IPay brand. I mean they probably could be less expensive but they also provide a GREAT costumer service and backup and recovery options that are really premium and not so reliable on Android. I never have had a Apple device but they are fine. The other downside is the rushed programmed obsolescence on their devices but on Android you'll see brands that indulge on it too.

Like always, it depends a great deal on your tastes, needs and budget.

In my free time (I get to have genuine free time again) I'm trying to collect as much Warhammer FB and 40K android games as I can, specially the ones that are gone. So far I have the latest version of Battlefleet Gothic Leviathan, Legacy of Dorn: Herald of Oblivion, 40K Regicide, Warhammer Doomwheel, Warhammer Snotling Fling, Warhammer Quest and Warhammer Quest 2 all full and "purchases unlocked", without need of root. Currently working on Battle of Tallarn.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:19:40 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118017 on: March 11, 2020, 08:10:30 am »

Kid's (gen 2, so very old and way beyond any warranty) iPad met concrete at substantial velocity.

I don't have $350 to replace it right now, so now I get to deal with fights about one kid having an iPad while the other doesn't.

>:( ::) :'(

There's always more concrete? I don't have any good advice for this one.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118018 on: March 11, 2020, 09:07:34 am »

Oh as an advice try to get one of those thick foam cases, avoid the silicon ones and get the foam. The diference is like a flak jacket and a terminator armor.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118019 on: March 14, 2020, 02:15:10 am »

I have at least two more surgeries pending. On Tuesday, I go and get a buttload of imaging done. Neck, upper back, lower back again, hips. My SI joints (where your spine meets your pelvis,) are both falling apart, my labrums may be seriously damaged, and I have good reason to believe that my second set of screws are rejecting again. One day, when I can sit up long enough to do a decent amount of work, I'll start a Patreon page and write RPG scenarios for my little world...so that I can pay some medical bills down.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 7866 7867 [7868] 7869 7870 ... 8156