Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7875 7876 [7877] 7878 7879 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8470884 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118140 on: April 09, 2020, 08:36:21 am »

Anything stretching dragons beyond snakes is pretty much reaching too far

But snakes they are, of course

Since they're big fucking snakes

The origin may have been a snake, but snakes don't have wings and legs. The origin being "big snake" doesn't preclude the idea that other aspects were added from other animals, and that these additions were related to other primal fears (carnivora and birds of prey).

Dragons have only had legs for like, 500 years out of what, thousands or tens of thousands? It's not even a dragon if it's got legs, really

(like I said, the "they're just snakes" thing doesn't actually contradict the basic premise)

I have no idea how you could interpret my post in such a way

A 2001 study at the Karolinska Institute

Karolinska is not a accreditable institute to reference, these are the people who basically let a an Italian Russian guy for years operate plastic pipes into people's throats for shits and giggles
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118141 on: April 09, 2020, 08:42:44 am »

(like I said, the "they're just snakes" thing doesn't actually contradict the basic premise)

Maybe the bits where you said

"stretching dragons beyond snakes is pretty much reaching too far"

and "snakes they are, of course"

and "they're big fucking snakes"

So what you said was that saying dragons represent anything except snakes is going too far, and I paraphrased that as "they're just snakes". It really is the same exact thing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:46:09 am by Reelya »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #118142 on: April 09, 2020, 08:44:40 am »

Hmm. Serpentine dragons are common across Asia, but that is supposed to be a connection to water and rivers rather than serpents. And they're not feared, but revered. Not sure if that supports or detracts from Reelya, though.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118143 on: April 09, 2020, 08:48:33 am »

No living reptile has wings, so those definitely don't stem from fear of reptiles.
No living piranha has wings, but the flying piranhas in Piranha 2: Flying Killers definitely stem from fear of piranhas. Adding wings is just your worst fear, but made worse.

And fish jumping out of the water, even ones not called "flying" fish, is a not-rare occurrence.

Also, Trogdor is a dragon.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118144 on: April 09, 2020, 08:48:46 am »

Hmm. Serpentine dragons are common across Asia, but that is supposed to be a connection to water and rivers rather than serpents. And they're not feared, but revered. Not sure if that supports or detracts from Reelya, though.

Chinese dragons generally have legs however. There's also Quetzalcoatl or similar, winged feathered snake from Aztec myth.

Dragons have only had legs for like, 500 years out of what, thousands or tens of thousands?

That's not necessarily a fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu%C5%A1%E1%B8%ABu%C5%A1%C5%A1u

The mušḫuššu (𒈲𒄭𒄊; formerly also read as sirrušu, sirrush) or Mushkhushshu (pronounced "Mush·khush·shu"), is a creature from ancient Mesopotamian mythology. A mythological hybrid, it is a scaly animal with hind legs resembling the talons of an eagle, lion-like forelimbs, a long neck and tail, a horned head, a snake-like tongue, and a crest.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:07:29 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118145 on: April 09, 2020, 08:58:16 am »

So what you said was that saying dragons represent anything except snakes is going too far, and I paraphrased that as "they're just snakes". It really is the same exact thing.

Yes, But the you started going on about snakeophobia. As if me saying they're just snakes means I don't think it has anything to do with phobia

There's no contradiction, because there was no contradiction. You're inventing an argument that doesn't exist
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118146 on: April 09, 2020, 09:00:19 am »

I can't feel safe at my job anymore, and they won't let me keep my apartment much longer. I don't have anywhere I can go anymore.

I also wish insurance would allow me back on my PTSD meds. It's...unpleasant.

Edit: Supervisor called to yell at me this morning. I may have solved the "having a job" thing by telling him that the way I've been treated is insulting and illegal, and that he will only speak to me through my union rep in the future. A panic attack is not a good time to have someone call to yell at you.

Edit2: I didn't know I could still cry. I've had people try to kill me, I've watched people murdered and then had guns pointed at me, I've had had near-constant abuse at a job for over a yera, I've felt the bullethole from where my best friend died, and for some reason *this* is what breaks me?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 10:07:41 am by Iduno »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118147 on: April 09, 2020, 11:36:56 am »

Yes, But the you started going on about snakeophobia. As if me saying they're just snakes means I don't think it has anything to do with phobia

There's no contradiction, because there was no contradiction. You're inventing an argument that doesn't exist

But that was in response to the point by Il Palazzo, who was in fact disputing the phobia-based reasoning. I wasn't even responding to you in that post, and i didn't really focus on the phobia part in the direct response I did make to you before that.

Point being: the bit you're upset about wasn't even in a post responding to you. All I said was that

the "they're just snakes" thing doesn't actually contradict the basic premise

Right, that is just stating, to someone else, that your "they're just snakes" thing doesn't contradict the phobia thing. Does it say you contradicted the phobia thing? No, it doesn't.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 11:45:37 am by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #118148 on: April 09, 2020, 12:06:24 pm »

Edit: Supervisor called to yell at me this morning. I may have solved the "having a job" thing by telling him that the way I've been treated is insulting and illegal, and that he will only speak to me through my union rep in the future. A panic attack is not a good time to have someone call to yell at you.

Retaliation for demanding union representation is not just prohibited by all union contracts, it is outright illegal almost everywhere.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118149 on: April 09, 2020, 12:28:43 pm »

Retaliation for demanding union representation is not just prohibited by all union contracts, it is outright illegal almost everywhere.

Yeah, that's why we have a law that says you don't need to say why you fired someone.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #118150 on: April 09, 2020, 12:52:51 pm »

If you have a union, you have a contract. "At will employment" exists only in the absence of a contract, no matter what your employer makes you sign.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118151 on: April 09, 2020, 01:05:22 pm »

Talk to your union rep now, and let them know that you asked your boss to go through them for everything. Attach any emails and a description of the telephone call. Gives them a heads up on the situation. Also ask about unemployment help from the union.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118152 on: April 10, 2020, 03:23:01 pm »

Talk to your union rep now, and let them know that you asked your boss to go through them for everything. Attach any emails and a description of the telephone call. Gives them a heads up on the situation. Also ask about unemployment help from the union.

On a phone call with my supervisor right now about me having a multi-hour panic attack without approval being insubordinate. I let me supervisor know that I would need time off before I was supposed to start work, then sent an admittedly-poorly worded email at the start of the panic attack saying I would not be able to work the rest of the day.

My arm hurts from making the JO motion, which is the thing they should actually be bothered by, but don't know about. I'm not a perfect employee, but all of their complaints about me are stupid bullshit or things I can prove didn't happen. To be fair, they don't call anyone out on things they actually do, which is probably why I have a bad attitude about my job.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #118153 on: April 10, 2020, 06:30:58 pm »

Out of curiosity, I looked up average # of deaths per day in April in the US and compared it to the covid numbers. Very sobering.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118154 on: April 10, 2020, 07:23:36 pm »

Concerning stuff. I have family that's immunocompromised, so I've been avoiding them.

I've actually been staying at my mom's boyfriend's for the past few weeks, since my landlady got sick and is still in isolation. A coworker also has to take time off, since his wife has a severe fever. That was probably a wake-up call to management; they're a lot more serious about keeping things clean now.

It feels busier than ever at work, but we can't actually ship much, since most customers are closed.
Pages: 1 ... 7875 7876 [7877] 7878 7879 ... 8153