Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7884 7885 [7886] 7887 7888 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8472154 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118275 on: May 27, 2020, 05:13:03 pm »

And that's perfectly fine and understandable.

However, I would hesitate to call it the "least-sympathetic" motive for murder. I'd still rank crimes of passion underneath crimes of boredom in that regard.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118276 on: May 27, 2020, 05:19:33 pm »

Sure there are far sinister motives for murder, but for me it's like choosing between two pieces of rancid turd, I see them both equal even when one might be crawling with parasites and flies and the other don't, both pieces are shit at the end of the day. Then end result it's the same, the very unnecessary death of an innocent.

Granted she's not Charles Manson or Hitler but still is a monster in my book.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118277 on: May 27, 2020, 06:30:49 pm »

Well, I can weigh in on a personal level. In addition to my son, my brother was severely disabled, including but certainly not limited to brain-damage and autism both.

First of all: there's no excuse for this person who murdered her own child. Simple as that. Murdering a child, or your child, is inexcusable.

Second: It's a wall of text, yeah, sorry.

There's also not really a way to easily describe the mental strain of raising a child with severe autism, or with any serious mental disability for that matter. I don't know if my own son will ever make a real friend. He's afraid of other kids his own age, because they are unpredictable. I don't know if he'll ever be able to connect with another person on the level of a peer at all. He might feel lonely all the time, and not be able to tell me. He might not even be able to understand why he feels that way, ever. He might never graduate from any sort of education save for the kind that... well, doesn't have any real-world practical value, to put it bluntly. Children with autism are often impacted cognitively, but I've never met one that didn't know enough to know he was different. They understand there's something wrong, but sometimes can't know what.

There are tests, and grades, and official spectrums, but you don't really know what he's feeling or what he's capable of the same way you can with another child, not when he can't communicate. This, right now, could be my life forever. This could be HIS life forever. He could be a 2 year old equivalent for his entire life, because in the end no matter how much therapy you apply or how much special help he gets, there will be limits. There might not be any happy ending for you, or for your spouse, or worst of all for your child, and then you die, and then your child will be institutionalized who knows where because there's noone left to take care of them, if they haven't died from some other complication by then.

And through all of this, you watch your friends and family with their own children. Their children do things like graduate kindergarten, whereas yours doesn't meet the requirements for enrollment. TV shows all these happy children in commercials, and shows, and they are all so normal. They can all talk to their parents, and it's taken for granted, like this is what everyone's life is like. For a while you hope that the therapy will help, and the special education will just let them start their childhood later, or enter an equivalent program in a few years. But then, really you know it won't. All of society is geared toward helping everyone but your child live a life. Your friends with their normal kids find reasons not to spend time with you and yours. You can't even pursue a career or hobby to help with the stress, in some cases.

And how are you supposed to feel about this? Do you feel guilty? Rationally resigned? Are you being selfish? How do you know it isn't something you did? They don't know what causes autism, not really. They've had theories for decades. Could you have prevented it? Is it your fault? Did you do this? Would he be telling you about his day at the park right now instead of crying if you had been better, or more attentive? Nobody can conclusively tell you no. Or even yes.

Everything single thing in the world becomes a reminder of how alone you really are, and how your child will never really be happy the way they could have been. The world has everything for them, but they can't touch it. There really isn't a word to describe the kind of mental horror that this life eventually entails. I've seen the places where they keep the kids that they think don't have a chance of thriving. My brother died there. They are bright, and cheery, and safe, and utterly hopeless.

So I can easily empathize, but I could never, ever condone. My son can't tell me if he had fun at the park today, but I know he loves his blue striped blanket best, and big dinosaurs, and his favorite game on his tablet is Cat in the Hat. His favorite foods are grilled cheese and pizza. He doesn't like TV as much as he likes books and video games, even though he can't read. He likes cats, doesn't like dogs. His favorite playground thing is the biggest slide there. If I asked another parent to tell me about their kid, they'd give exactly the same kind of report. So in the end, I DO have a son, and he does matter, to me and to himself, and I'll be fucked if I'm not going to provide him the best opportunities and joys in his life as I can as his parent, even if it's different. I didn't make a child contingent on the idea that he graduates, or achieves certain things. When I held him for the first time in the hospital i decided to love him based on who he is, not what I wanted him to be one day. Whatever his happiness is, I intend to help him find it. Even if it's that same damn blanket until he's 20.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118278 on: May 27, 2020, 06:48:55 pm »

First of all: there's no excuse for this person who murdered her own child. Simple as that. Murdering a child, or your child, is inexcusable

What about murdering future Hitler?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #118279 on: May 27, 2020, 06:56:06 pm »

Then he's not current Hitler, so you don't know if he'll become the Hitler. There are (near) infinite ways of knocking him off that course other than killing him. Heck, don't do anything to him but arrange things so the Nazi Party can't arrange the Reichstag Fire. Or any other options. There would be a million ways.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118280 on: May 28, 2020, 12:46:06 am »

First of all: there's no excuse for this person who murdered her own child. Simple as that. Murdering a child, or your child, is inexcusable

What about murdering future Hitler?

I hear spiking the heels together and leaving them for dead on the road somewhere is a pretty good solution to this.

And yeah, what Duna said. What she did was inexcusable, but I can still definitely recognize some very human thought processes underneath it.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118281 on: May 28, 2020, 03:03:52 am »

I'd support Kidler's dreams of being an artist. Then crush them because he's evil and deserves it. His newfound empathy for failure would surely direct him to some kind of meaningful politics, perhaps some kind of German party for workers.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #118282 on: May 28, 2020, 08:13:57 am »

But Hitler killed Hitler! If you kill Hitler, who will kill Hitler?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #118283 on: May 28, 2020, 08:49:18 am »

And if Hitler killed Hitler... you don't want to be like Hitler, do you?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118284 on: May 28, 2020, 10:12:48 am »

Clone Hitlers then it's ok to kill them because they're Hitler. Use the meat for a chain of Hitler burger shops.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118285 on: May 29, 2020, 06:47:18 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:44:40 pm by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118286 on: May 29, 2020, 06:54:33 am »

Clone Hitlers then it's ok to kill them because they're Hitler. Use the meat for a chain of Hitler burger shops.

"Welcome to Übermunch, can I take your executive order?"

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #118287 on: May 30, 2020, 02:00:09 pm »

Returning to our regularly scheduled sad thread, after a long blessed hiatus I feel depressed and broken again. Fun.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118288 on: June 01, 2020, 01:01:58 pm »

I wish people, when they make plans with me, would actually bloody tell me that they aren't going through with them at some point before it starts. I've had it four times now in the past two weeks where I've made solid plans, only to find out an hour or two *after* they were supposed to start that the other person couldn't/didn't want to do it.

I'm not crazy for expecting this am I?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #118289 on: June 01, 2020, 01:06:54 pm »

Returning to our regularly scheduled sad thread, after a long blessed hiatus I feel depressed and broken again. Fun.
saaaame
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.
Pages: 1 ... 7884 7885 [7886] 7887 7888 ... 8153