Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7885 7886 [7887] 7888 7889 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8552302 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118290 on: June 01, 2020, 01:25:35 pm »

I wish people, when they make plans with me, would actually bloody tell me that they aren't going through with them at some point before it starts. I've had it four times now in the past two weeks where I've made solid plans, only to find out an hour or two *after* they were supposed to start that the other person couldn't/didn't want to do it.

I'm not crazy for expecting this am I?
you’re not crazy for expecting this, it makes sense to want to know if someone’s not going through with the plan

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118291 on: June 01, 2020, 01:47:14 pm »

I wish people, when they make plans with me, would actually bloody tell me that they aren't going through with them at some point before it starts. I've had it four times now in the past two weeks where I've made solid plans, only to find out an hour or two *after* they were supposed to start that the other person couldn't/didn't want to do it.

I'm not crazy for expecting this am I?

No, you're being reasonable.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118292 on: June 02, 2020, 01:36:30 am »

Well, in Eye of the Beholder 3 I discovered there's a magic item *right near the start of the game* that effectively lets you hack your way to maximum levels and effectively infinite HP with very little time and effort (as in you can spend less than 1 hour and have a character from level 1 to level 20, with much more levels / XP than 50 hours across the other two games). It's not deliberate, it's just broken by sloppy code that they didn't test.

I liked the other two games, the third one literally wrecks the series in that it puts stuff in their that breaks the game and makes all previous efforts to level up the characters entirely moot. I *heard* this sequel sucked and was rushed out by the publishers (not the original developers) but I had no idea it would be this broken.

Yeah, so even for completioninsts, probably don't play Eye of the Beholder 3.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:47:30 am by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #118293 on: June 02, 2020, 05:15:51 am »

Have you considered simply not exploiting that?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118294 on: June 02, 2020, 05:24:51 am »

Have you considered simply not exploiting that?

The point is that it's only the first thing that's broken. Everything else is equally broken.

And if you know there's an easy way to achieve something in the game then any hard-earned levels just become clearly an exercise in self-flagellation. Just makes all previous effort pointless when you for example find a magical font of free money and ammo in a game where you've been carefully conserving supplies up to that point, you know the sort of thing I mean. You could play the first two games for weeks grinding up to beat game three in this case, then you find there's an instant-levels button right near the start, and it's hard not to run into it, since it's one of the main quest items in the dungeon.

EDIT: Also, you find the item right at the end of the level with the Wights in it, so you've probably lost a lot of levels by then unless you were carefully save-scumming. Then, when you finally get the Rod at the end, you've probably gained at least a few normal levels. Then using the Rod of Restoration even once breaks your character, since your HP total will pretty much certainly exceed the official rules.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:31:21 am by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #118295 on: June 02, 2020, 05:30:43 am »

Something that's in-game content working as designed -like using the buffing fountains in the old Might And Magic games to grind ludicrously easily- , I can see your "feels dumb not to use it" point. Something that's clearly and obviously a bug? Don't agree at all.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118296 on: June 02, 2020, 05:32:30 am »

Read my edit. You find it right at the end of a large level with the level-draining critters. If you even gain one level during that time after your first level-drain then using the Rod delivers you a rules-breaking character with too much HP for their level. Like I said before, I found this out by getting an NPC drained from level 8 down to level 1, then manually-releveled him to Level 7. Then used the Rod the first time, and he's suddenly turned into a level 14 character. (then I restored the game to before he used the rod, so he's still level 7 now).

So you can't even use it normally without breaking the rules-as-written.

I used it for one purpose however, which was to exceed the racial level limits, since my chars couldn't level any higher than they already were, and the first two games manuals lied about level limits (saying there were none, when they mean none in those particular games, then they spring the limits on you in game 3. Except, surprise, the level limits are actually broken by an in-game object :/). I'm not going to restart 100+ hours of gameplay so that I can get a level 20 cleric and mage, if I don't have to.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:45:44 am by Reelya »

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118297 on: June 02, 2020, 05:41:35 am »

This sentence.

"No amount of protection afforded to white people is worth the horror we continue to perpetuate in this country against millions in marginalized communities."

Don't imply that white people as a group are to blame for this. There are enough people trying to incite racial division across the world already. Perpetrating it further with irresponsible sentences like this does nothing to bring us together or solve the problems at hand, it just makes it worse. The vast majority of white people are good, normal people and it is unjust to label them as the problem for every marginalized group in the US, since it leads to them being targeted simply for being white.

As to why I'm sad, I will be disappointed to miss out on the graphical steam release, but I can't give money in good faith while that statement is up.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118298 on: June 02, 2020, 05:49:04 am »

Classifying people into groups and ascribing traits to that group as a whole just perpetuates the problem, as you've outlined. It doesn't matter which way the group-defining goes, it's part of the same cycle.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118299 on: June 02, 2020, 06:02:00 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:44:43 pm by dragdeler »
let

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #118300 on: June 02, 2020, 03:09:14 pm »

I’ve wanted to get into art for my entire life. But I just can’t. I can’t bring myself to pick up a pencil and do it. My birthday is in a while, and I thought that the prospect of getting another year older would be enough to scare me into doing it would be enough, but apparently not. The closest thing to a reason I’ve been able to find is that I doubt that any amount of practice or work would ever be able to make my drawing skills even passable. Would anyone have any advice? I’d stick this on the life advice subforum but posting a second thread there feels like a much worse social crime than just sticking it here, and it’s definitely making me sad, so overall I feel no guilt for this, at least not yet. Give it a few minutes and I’ll be paranoid that everyone’s judging me.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118301 on: June 02, 2020, 03:12:28 pm »

To be honest, I don't understand what Toady/Threetoe are saying or implying in that sentence...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118302 on: June 02, 2020, 03:25:23 pm »

To be honest, I don't understand what Toady/Threetoe are saying or implying in that sentence...
what do you mean? That was Imic, not Toady

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118303 on: June 02, 2020, 03:32:06 pm »

If you mean the moderation bit about how people should be less racist and strange, it was because some guy posted something that was both racist and strange
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #118304 on: June 02, 2020, 03:36:35 pm »

I suspect
is related to
This sentence.

"No amount of protection afforded to white people is worth the horror we continue to perpetuate in this country against millions in marginalized communities."
Which was posted in the dwarf fortress dev blog for 6/1/20
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 7885 7886 [7887] 7888 7889 ... 8155