Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7886 7887 [7888] 7889 7890 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8471644 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118305 on: June 02, 2020, 03:37:36 pm »

I meant the discussion earlier.

"No amount of protection afforded to white people is worth the horror we continue to perpetuate in this country against millions in marginalized communities."

What protection are they referring to?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118306 on: June 02, 2020, 06:03:00 pm »

I miss Max and his saws. Also still worried about Hans..... also I spent 12+ hours on a queue for nothing today.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118307 on: June 02, 2020, 06:17:14 pm »

I meant the discussion earlier.

"No amount of protection afforded to white people is worth the horror we continue to perpetuate in this country against millions in marginalized communities."

What protection are they referring to?

Around where I live? Cops showed up to my apartment, started to kick down the door, saw I was white, took their fingers off their triggers, turned the safeties back on, put the guns away, and politely asked questions. I don't live in a white neighborhood, so I know what they were planning.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118308 on: June 02, 2020, 06:27:05 pm »

Well, I understand that there can be extra "protection" or prejudice of that sort given to white people by police over other ethnicities, just I don't see how that fits semantically/logically into that particular sentence... Toady seems to be implying this "protection" he's referring to is on the surface desirable but is not worth the continued persecution of minorities in this country, which doesn't fit with that sort of protection you were talking about.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118309 on: June 02, 2020, 06:29:37 pm »

I’ve wanted to get into art for my entire life. But I just can’t. I can’t bring myself to pick up a pencil and do it. My birthday is in a while, and I thought that the prospect of getting another year older would be enough to scare me into doing it would be enough, but apparently not. The closest thing to a reason I’ve been able to find is that I doubt that any amount of practice or work would ever be able to make my drawing skills even passable. Would anyone have any advice? I’d stick this on the life advice subforum but posting a second thread there feels like a much worse social crime than just sticking it here, and it’s definitely making me sad, so overall I feel no guilt for this, at least not yet. Give it a few minutes and I’ll be paranoid that everyone’s judging me.

I'm not an artist in any capacity, so I don't really know what getting into art would necessarily mean or what your objectives are. All that I can say is that this post reminded me of life in school, and how for at least half my life drawing was a small part of most days (doodling all over notes during class), but at some point I stopped and haven't drawn anything since. It's actually made me sad myself to realize it; I think I'll try getting in the habit of doodling again.

Maybe try starting again back where you left off, in an off-hand moment rather than trying to focus 100% on it.

Here's my first attempt:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 06:31:25 pm by WealthyRadish »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118310 on: June 02, 2020, 06:59:49 pm »

I’ve wanted to get into art for my entire life. But I just can’t. I can’t bring myself to pick up a pencil and do it. My birthday is in a while, and I thought that the prospect of getting another year older would be enough to scare me into doing it would be enough, but apparently not. The closest thing to a reason I’ve been able to find is that I doubt that any amount of practice or work would ever be able to make my drawing skills even passable. Would anyone have any advice? I’d stick this on the life advice subforum but posting a second thread there feels like a much worse social crime than just sticking it here, and it’s definitely making me sad, so overall I feel no guilt for this, at least not yet. Give it a few minutes and I’ll be paranoid that everyone’s judging me.
If you can't get into art, get into politics instead.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118311 on: June 02, 2020, 07:38:24 pm »

But only after you survive a world war. How do you feel about huge square tanks?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118312 on: June 02, 2020, 09:39:06 pm »

I have the same issue basically, I'm good as music and programming, would like to do art but I don't have the basic skills to get started to the point where I could draw something that I'd feel was remotely passable. Like you, not really sure how to go about "getting into it".

Still working this out myself, but with programming, the best way to get started, initially, is to have some thing you want to make. You'll fail at making it but attempting to make it will get you started learning to program, because you'll see what's missing then have to research and experiment with stuff to make it work. After this first mega-project invariable explodes into flames you're best-off making a bunch of mini-projects and following a bunch of tutorials, but you kind need the big-project-that-fails first before you just jump in and do tutorials. Just doing a bunch of programming tutorials to "learn to be a programmer" without any idea what you want to program afterwards will likely be fruitless and you'll give up since you won't see where it's all heading. The reason it works in a classroom setting is that the teachers force you to do the work, else fail. But if you're learning yourself, you can't follow the "classroom model" since that relies on an external agent forcing you to do drills in a guided fashion. For self-learning you need to be project-based.

The same with e.g. learning guitar. If you just did a bunch of guitar practice drills and scales without any idea of what type of music you want to make, i can see that exploding in flames too. You have to play shitty metal or shitty punk, then you do the practice stuff, and you apply those skills back to the style you want to do.

I'm guessing drawing is the same, you need to have some reason, some thing you want to draw, before you get started. Like, start a story and draw a really bad comic. Then drawing the next panel of the comic is what keeps you going. Then rather than just doing drawing tutorials for the sake of "drawing skills" you'd be picking up new skills then working out how to apply them to your "comic" (which nobody other than yourself may ever read).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 09:53:09 pm by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118313 on: June 02, 2020, 09:49:16 pm »

Well, I understand that there can be extra "protection" or prejudice of that sort given to white people by police over other ethnicities, just I don't see how that fits semantically/logically into that particular sentence... Toady seems to be implying this "protection" he's referring to is on the surface desirable but is not worth the continued persecution of minorities in this country, which doesn't fit with that sort of protection you were talking about.

If "not getting murdered when other people would have been" isn't a good enough protection, then why does anyone care about superman?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118314 on: June 03, 2020, 01:17:09 am »

Clone Hitlers then it's ok to kill them because they're Hitler. Use the meat for a chain of Hitler burger shops.

"Welcome to Übermunch, can I take your executive order?"
I've just started re-watching Santa Clarita Diet and this is very relevant.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118315 on: June 03, 2020, 08:19:09 am »

Clone Hitlers then it's ok to kill them because they're Hitler. Use the meat for a chain of Hitler burger shops.

"Welcome to Übermunch, can I take your executive order?"
I've just started re-watching Santa Clarita Diet and this is very relevant.   
It’s sad that that show ended

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118316 on: June 04, 2020, 07:40:30 pm »

I dreamed of my old crush from back at university today
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118317 on: June 04, 2020, 07:45:09 pm »

Remember back when people all felt like 2016 was the worst year ever? Oh how young and naive we were.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118318 on: June 04, 2020, 07:54:15 pm »

It wasnt a bad year for me.

Though I had those feelings about 2019, which was fucking horrible for me and now seems so bland

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118319 on: June 04, 2020, 09:09:42 pm »

Hello again, /bay/. Something told me that you might need me around now, so I'll be around for a bit. Don't expect me to be around long-term, I've got other shit to do... but lucky for you, the pandemic has made my life boring as fuck lately.

Well, anyway, does anyone know why I'm here again? Any guesses? Anyone remember what I did on this board last time? Do ya think age has mellowed me out?

. . . . . . Right, here we go.

Don't imply that white people as a group are to blame for this. There are enough people trying to incite racial division across the world already. Perpetrating it further with irresponsible sentences like this does nothing to bring us together or solve the problems at hand, it just makes it worse. The vast majority of white people are good, normal people and it is unjust to label them as the problem for every marginalized group in the US, since it leads to them being targeted simply for being white.

Hi,

First, I'm gonna say: you're a good kid and I am happy you're here thinking about some difficult things. That's what people should do, engage with interesting ideas. Please also note that although my profile says I'm more than 1,000 years old, I'm actually in my 30s and calling people older than me "kids" is one of my favorite ways to make everyone else miserable. So while you are probably not actually a kid, just like I'm not actually older than sand, please bear with me for a minute.

Compliments aside, I have some facts to drop, not just for your sake and my ego, but so everyone lurking around reading Bay can have a long think about who they are and what they're doing on this disaster-planet. I am 100% aware that you are not the only person who is making posts like this right now, and I am only picking on you because your quote is the first one I saw. In fact, this has nothing to do with you as an individual (I have no idea who you are, and you probably don't know me), but I'm going to indulge myself anyway.

-> The power structures in this country (USA) were created by white people for the unilateral benefit of white people, through violence and theft.
-> The entire construct of race was created by white people. It is not natural, as evidenced by the fact that it makes no fucking sense when you examine the ideas and history closely.
-> Regardless of whether a given white person intends to benefit, that person does benefit from our racist and inegalitarian system, often without being aware of it. For example, if someone refuses to rent to a Black family in a nice part of town, you might not know that the realtor was racist. If they're willing to rent to you instead, then you benefited, again, entirely unknowingly, from racism.

We know statistically and through many qualitative studies that housing discrimination is real, just like many other forms of discrimination which I am sure you have read about, because I am certain that you, a thoughtful citizen, have made sure that you are well-informed beyond what your teachers (who are flawed and very human truth-seekers like you, remember) taught you before you put your money where your mouth is.

Please also recall that one of the functions of government is to legislate which facts can and cannot be taught in the public schools.

Now, if every white person in this country put as much effort into antiracist action as their most shameful ancestor put into colonialism, this problem would be finished yesterday.

I dunno about you, but some of my ancestors were pretty shitty people (understatement). No, you aren't living your worst ancestor's life, and you might not be in a position to inherit any of their stuff (I'm certainly not), but you do inherit their legacy. And if there is no such ancestor--and you're certain that there is none--then you probably have a story about the legacy of oppression your own people experienced on their way here--in which case you know what suffering is.

Time to put some ghosts to rest, don't you think?

OK, my sad is that I can't figure out how to set my avatar to be food again. Does anyone know if this can be caused by too many privacy browser extensions FIXED, thanks ChairmanPoo, it was a browser security problem.

Also, is Tiru somewhere around here still? Sorry, darling, I've missed you.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 09:23:35 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 7886 7887 [7888] 7889 7890 ... 8153