Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7970 7971 [7972] 7973 7974 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8473792 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119565 on: February 22, 2021, 08:22:36 pm »

Yeah... the pandemic is fucking with relationships all over the place.

I moved to an entirely new city right as the pandemic hit and now a year later I cry myself to sleep from loneliness and it sucks.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119566 on: February 22, 2021, 09:07:52 pm »

I think you can find online players here for virtually any game. Try to join a discord channel of a game you like.

Read books, pm your friends here. Hold on, in less than yoy realise all this shit shall pass too.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119567 on: February 23, 2021, 12:19:09 am »

Thank you, both :)

I passed out on the couch and missed the class I was supposed to teach tonight, which I've never done before in my life. Normally, I show up on time to teach even when I'm sick. I've done all kinds of crazy things to avoid being late.

Paradoxically, I felt ... much better. Emotionally at least. Time to stop beating myself up and be gentle.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #119568 on: February 23, 2021, 10:45:44 am »

There's nothing like a crisis to get one to acknowledge one's own feelings. :/
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #119569 on: February 24, 2021, 07:32:21 am »

Incredible how fast I can go from feeling down but okay to actually wanting to kill myself. I don't even know any more. I'm just tired of taking a million meds a day to just feel bad instead of wanting to gouge my eyes out or tear off my skin or something.

I'm so, so tired of this.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119570 on: February 24, 2021, 07:39:03 am »

I also feel like a dump

Always remember the poem Arx

Do not go gently

Rage, rage, rage
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119571 on: February 24, 2021, 08:14:08 am »

I also feel like a dump

Do not go gently

Rage, rage, rage

RAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGE
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119572 on: February 24, 2021, 11:07:44 am »

I also feel like a dump

Do not go gently

Rage, rage, rage

Don't forget spite! You can survive for quite a while on spite.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #119573 on: February 24, 2021, 01:10:48 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119574 on: February 24, 2021, 09:57:30 pm »

I am really annoyed by industry cybersecurity requirements.  Doesn't really make products more secure, just 10x more difficult to develop and maintain.

I wish I could figure out how to codify my view of true security:  "True security is the situation where when an 'unauthorized person' has full access to data, etc.... they can't do anything dangerous with it."

Also side-sadness:  I think it's sad that "DRM" gets lumped in with the more legitimate uses of security.  For example, preventing remote control of autonomous vehicles is a legitimate use of security.  But forcing application developers to sign images for any change just saps resources that could be used elsewhere.  Requiring security keys for repairs or access to diagnostic data - that's just being a control freak.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #119575 on: February 24, 2021, 10:02:11 pm »

Eh. Access to diagnostic data can give you what you need to break into the dangerous part of security. So can repair access. That's how people keep getting root access to Nintendo consoles, for a mostly-unimportant example.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119576 on: February 24, 2021, 10:08:25 pm »

I am really annoyed by industry cybersecurity requirements.  Doesn't really make products more secure, just 10x more difficult to develop and maintain.

I wish I could figure out how to codify my view of true security:  "True security is the situation where when an 'unauthorized person' has full access to data, etc.... they can't do anything dangerous with it."

Also side-sadness:  I think it's sad that "DRM" gets lumped in with the more legitimate uses of security.  For example, preventing remote control of autonomous vehicles is a legitimate use of security.  But forcing application developers to sign images for any change just saps resources that could be used elsewhere.  Requiring security keys for repairs or access to diagnostic data - that's just being a control freak.

It's why I hate those chip reader things they built into credit cards.  It's secure because even I can't access my money, because it doesn't work.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119577 on: February 25, 2021, 04:03:16 pm »

Full megacorp acquisition is imminent . . . it's reminding me exactly why I left a megacorp 15 years ago to go to a small company.  So much energy spent dealing with issues unrelated to the actual products we're trying to make... ugh.  IT nonsense, too many people not willing to make decisions, putting schedule above quality, politics, etc.

My company with less than 100 employees is being purchased by one with 36000 or so... and a very different general business focus.  It's like you set your life building widgets of type X that happen to use technology Y, and the big company wants technology Y but doesn't care about widgets type X, they build widget type P.  I want to make X, not P....

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119578 on: February 25, 2021, 05:07:44 pm »

Start your own.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119579 on: February 25, 2021, 05:27:59 pm »

When I was 17 she went to live with her new husband and I tumbled between places and family until I was 22 o so, then he bought her a modest apartment and I was invited to live there since she was not using it anyway.

Ohhh I see. I thought you were saying that you were currently 17, which really turned my head considering you have a wife and family.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 7970 7971 [7972] 7973 7974 ... 8153