Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7984 7985 [7986] 7987 7988 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8474958 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119775 on: March 28, 2021, 05:58:47 am »

Living a life trusting people to find that trust broken every now and then is sad, but living your life trusting no one is worse.

If someone breaks your trust, their loss.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119776 on: March 30, 2021, 07:38:11 am »

Having dropped Ł600 on getting various issues in my car fixed about 2 weeks ago, the windshield wiper motor appears to have gone and died now. This is getting bloody ridiculous.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119777 on: March 30, 2021, 09:40:45 am »

The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119778 on: March 30, 2021, 10:44:40 am »

Having dropped Ł600 on getting various issues in my car fixed about 2 weeks ago, the windshield wiper motor appears to have gone and died now. This is getting bloody ridiculous.
Don't go back to that same mechanic.

Find a friend who can work on their own vehicles; a windshield wiper motor is an easy self-repair item, assuming the attachment bolts aren't rusted.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119779 on: March 30, 2021, 02:18:14 pm »

The dollar broke the 2 million Bolivares barrier. Now a single dollar is worth 2.015.000 Sovereign Bolivares.

Or 201.500.000.000, two hundred and one millions, five hundred thousand Strong Bolivares.

Or 201.500.000.000.000, two hundred and one billions, five hundred million vanilla Bolivares...

You cant buy a dozen eggs with any of them.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #119780 on: March 30, 2021, 02:26:44 pm »

"the bolívar soberano is the lowest valued unit of currency in circulation in the world."

Even monopoly money has more value at this point.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119781 on: March 30, 2021, 02:47:14 pm »

You bet it does. Is no joke, we are poorer by the minute. Our poverty is around 90 something %, 96 if I dont misrecall. With over 70% of that being critical poverty with less than a dollar per day.

Oh we already finished moving to the new old place.

All in all it ended up looking far better than what we expected. Now, rain season started this week and we have some leaks here and there, nothing unmanageable so far.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 02:48:53 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119782 on: March 30, 2021, 03:11:50 pm »

"the bolívar soberano is the lowest valued unit of currency in circulation in the world."

Even monopoly money has more value at this point.

So I looked this up:

A monopoly box comes with 20,580 monop$

You can buy a refill of monopoly money for 12.95 USD

Which I guess would mean one monopoly dollar is worth 0.0000629 USD.  You could buy Boardwalk for about 3 cents.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119783 on: March 30, 2021, 03:18:25 pm »

In comparison a current Bolivar is about 0.0000004963 of a dollar.
0.0000629 monopoly to USD
0.0000004963 Bs to USD

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119784 on: March 30, 2021, 03:28:05 pm »

Out of morbid curiosity - does that just effectively mean you are on an essentially barter economy there?

Like, does it cost 10 million bolivar to buy a sandwich?  Or are things not even really priced in that currency any more?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119785 on: March 30, 2021, 03:33:29 pm »

I think you are even surpassing the hyperinflation that occured in Zimbabwe in the 1990s. At some point, owning money became too expensive, because no one could afford a truck or lorry to be able to transport te bulk of paper money needed to buy a single bread.

You guys really need to overthrow your government.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:37:39 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119786 on: March 30, 2021, 04:03:17 pm »

You guys really need to overthrow your government.

Too expensive to buy the guns.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119787 on: March 30, 2021, 04:23:01 pm »

Some people are definitively doing barter with lots of stuff. But mostly people get by buying dollars and then using dollars as the de facto currency.

So say, you get paid today Bs. 40.000.000, an average monthly salary right now, you run to buy 20 USD as fast as you can and then use those 20 buck as savings or whatever. Or if you need to buy stuff you run to the store and spend those Bolivares fast because in a matter of days our hours they migth depreciate a little or a lot and you migth end up with say 15 dollars worth of currency instead of 20, which means 25% less food, medicine or whatever you need.

People tend to buy dollars in cash as savings and then sell it (at current exchange rate) to buy in stores with debit cards because stores sometimes play smart and put their prices on Bs. and accept dollars bills bellow the current exchange rate or at the "oficial" one which is generally a tad lower than the real one, but sometimes is higher.

Also 10, 5 and specially 1 dollar bills here are very rare, 1 dollar bills golden pokemon rare. To the point people sell 8 one dollar bills for 10 dollars.

Its.. complicated living here.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119788 on: March 30, 2021, 04:35:46 pm »

Money devaluating on a daily / hourly basis, yeah, that's what happened there too.

Zimbabwe eventually got out of the hyperinflation spiral by stopping the printing of, and disbanding their currency alltogether and adopting a foreign currency (USD in this case).

I thought it was in the 1990s but apparently it was not that long ago. Zimbabwe's hyperinflation started somewhere around 2006.
In 2007, inflation was already outrageous, at 1281%.
Mid november 2008 it is estimated to have reached 7.96×10^10%. Estimated, because Zimbabwe stopped publishing inflation figures in july 2007.

You know your economy is broken when the cost of transporting money is higher than the value of the money.

Sadly, I don't see your government admitting they lost it and adopting a foreign currency anytime soon, without regime change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119789 on: March 30, 2021, 04:36:41 pm »

I'm single and sad too if its any consolation
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7984 7985 [7986] 7987 7988 ... 8153