Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8019 8020 [8021] 8022 8023 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8473821 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120300 on: October 19, 2021, 08:55:18 am »

Oh, so they did waited for him to be free to release the things. Awful matters this are.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120301 on: October 19, 2021, 04:04:42 pm »

So my hairline has decided to pick up the pace when it comes to receding :V

I knew this was going to come eventually, not many male ancestors that managed to keep theirs past 40, was just hoping it wouldn't hit fully before I was even fucking 30. Still got plenty left, but it's gotten so thin that it's looking fairly sad most of the time and I'm guessing in a year or so it'll recede past the point of pretending I just have a nice widows peak :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120302 on: October 19, 2021, 04:14:07 pm »

Get buffed, grow a dwarfly beard (if not already) and shave your head.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120303 on: October 26, 2021, 05:05:52 am »

My Samsung Galaxy A40 just died. I bought it 2 years and 1 month ago for my birthday. One month overtime for warranty :(((

I don't have money for a new smartphone :(
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #120304 on: October 26, 2021, 06:36:23 am »

Fuck planned ageing. In today's society the should be forbidden. And it should also be forbidden to cease support and warranties on people modifying their electronics to turn of their planned decisting.

I can't remember what the common term is. My memory's warranty expired just a month ago
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120305 on: October 26, 2021, 07:13:28 am »

Migth be just casualty. Have had various Samsung phones, all of them surviving well beyond their warranty but one that had a sudden dead due a defective board a year or so into use.

For phones planned obsolescence is commonly done through software updates that bloat its software or the contrary, deny updates and functionalities to "important" applications like facebook or whatsapp.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 07:17:21 am by LordBaal »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120306 on: October 26, 2021, 07:44:45 am »

It could indeed just be statistical failure rate.  For example, I have only had two smartphones over the past 10 years, purchased in 2010 and 2016 respectively.  The proximal cause of replacement was the original battery finally giving up the ghost. And given the battery replacement cost (either for a shop or for my own time & labor & risk of screwing something up) I opted to replace.  My 2016 model now is approaching that battery limit; I'll often get an unexpected shutdown at 20% (or more!) reported battery if some app or website does something egregiously power-hungry.  Main difference now is that in 2016 the battery cost was about 25% the new phone cost; now a battery replacement is at most 15% a new phone (holy crap phones are getting expensive), unless I can convince a salesman to give me a discount.

Spoiler: Regarding discounts (click to show/hide)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120307 on: October 26, 2021, 07:47:24 am »

My grandma from the maternal side died yesterday. Her funeral namaz and subsequent burial was just today. She now lays besides her beloved, lifelong spouse in a grave of soil and marble, looking over to the city, the gulf, the forests and the mountains. A fitting resting place, only if there was the shade of old pine trees. The graveyard was new, so it will take a while for all the pine saplings to grow and create that classic shape.

She died of multiple bodily issues, liver cancer, lung problems, the wear of old age... It is not important anymore. Those things can't plague her anymore. Nothing can.

In life, she was the most adorable old woman one could ever meet. Happy, patient and compassionate, who always laughed, and gave some in return. A loving and lved mother and wife, who have had plenty of grandchildren, including me. She loved me, was there in my very first days, and took care of me when I was little. Oh, and her cooking... She taught my mother and aunt after all.

We lost my grandfather, her husband, a few years back, so she was mostly alone in her house all that time. My mother, aunt and uncle all cared for her through that time, and were always by her side when she fell ill a few months ago. She declined rather quickly. As if her entire body was in a delicate balance and one small wrong thing knocked over everything else. I wonder if she actually went somewhere?

Her passing was fortunately painless, straightfoward and quick. She was taken to intensive care, and three days after that, she simply slept, and did not wake up. I wonder if her small, ''getting better'' phase was just a case of terminal wellness and lucidity?

Now she sleeps eternal. That was not the thing she believed, though, she was a muslim all her life. She worshipped, she sincerely believed, yet was never zealous or bigoted.

If, by spare chance, there is an afterlife, I know she isn't in a bad place. In fact, she is in a good place, if there is one. She was just an ordinary, innocent old woman who never hurt anyone or anything intentionally in her long life, a pure soul. No deity or some other supernatural force with a quarter of a sanity will ever lay an appendage on her. If they do, then they don't deserve worship, praise, or even an ounce of respect.

I am not even ''sad''. She is gone, and thats that. But I can help but feel a bit of grief.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120308 on: October 26, 2021, 08:12:32 am »

Im sorry for your loss my friend. It seems she was a lovely lady, may the immaterial makes her energy soar.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120309 on: October 26, 2021, 06:47:07 pm »

Fuck planned ageing. In today's society the should be forbidden. And it should also be forbidden to cease support and warranties on people modifying their electronics to turn of their planned decisting.

I can't remember what the common term is. My memory's warranty expired just a month ago

Right to repair. And that's (both things you said) been the law in the US for a while now, but it's not particularly enforced by the FTC.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #120310 on: October 27, 2021, 01:27:38 am »

I don't understand cell phone companies here in the US.  There is an oft-quoted business rule that "new customers cost way more than existing customers" but cell phone companies basically cause this: they offer new customers free phones and/or buying out contracts from other carriers if you switch. But if you are already a customer, there are basically no incentives.  So I'm toying with the idea of seeing if I can convince a salesperson to give me a phone for half off, to keep me around, which is less cost for them than if I was a new customer.
Not only is it rare for there to be real incentives to stay with a company, but (in America at least) the opposite is typically true: If you stay with a company for a long time they slowly jack up your rates cause they know once they have you for over a year you are less likely to switch.

This is why they are willing to pay a bunch to get new people; once they are within their ecosystem inertia means they are unlikely to switch out cause its a big hassle. This goes double for stuff like long term contracts or tying your phone to the contract; it locks you in means they don't have to worry about you leaving during that time at all.

Calling in to threaten to cancel every ~year is indeed a good way to get a discount or remove BS additional charges they add to your bill.
E: Note that this applies to stuff like car insurance, internet, TV and even your gym membership. Worst case scenario is that they say "Lol, go ahead and cancel" but odds are decent they will give you at least a temporary discount.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:31:20 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120311 on: October 27, 2021, 11:59:39 am »

I am not even ''sad''. She is gone, and thats that. But I can help but feel a bit of grief.

My condolences. I felt similarly when we lost my Grandma recently. We all knew she was on her way out, but I miss her all the same. Hope you're doing well.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120312 on: October 27, 2021, 02:02:10 pm »

*googles impostor syndrome but you're actually an impostor*

Fucking grad school.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120313 on: October 27, 2021, 02:38:57 pm »

*googles impostor syndrome but you're actually an impostor*

Fucking grad school.

Yeah, college in general can get that way. Hopefully you've got some time to relax and enjoy yourself as well, although I remember that being in short supply.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #120314 on: October 27, 2021, 02:51:08 pm »

Now that Halloween approaches, we must rebrand impostor syndrome as amogus pocus
Pages: 1 ... 8019 8020 [8021] 8022 8023 ... 8153