Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8020 8021 [8022] 8023 8024 ... 8056

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 7034328 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120315 on: October 26, 2021, 08:12:32 am »

Im sorry for your loss my friend. It seems she was a lovely lady, may the immaterial makes her energy soar.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120316 on: October 26, 2021, 06:47:07 pm »

Fuck planned ageing. In today's society the should be forbidden. And it should also be forbidden to cease support and warranties on people modifying their electronics to turn of their planned decisting.

I can't remember what the common term is. My memory's warranty expired just a month ago

Right to repair. And that's (both things you said) been the law in the US for a while now, but it's not particularly enforced by the FTC.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #120317 on: October 27, 2021, 01:27:38 am »

I don't understand cell phone companies here in the US.  There is an oft-quoted business rule that "new customers cost way more than existing customers" but cell phone companies basically cause this: they offer new customers free phones and/or buying out contracts from other carriers if you switch. But if you are already a customer, there are basically no incentives.  So I'm toying with the idea of seeing if I can convince a salesperson to give me a phone for half off, to keep me around, which is less cost for them than if I was a new customer.
Not only is it rare for there to be real incentives to stay with a company, but (in America at least) the opposite is typically true: If you stay with a company for a long time they slowly jack up your rates cause they know once they have you for over a year you are less likely to switch.

This is why they are willing to pay a bunch to get new people; once they are within their ecosystem inertia means they are unlikely to switch out cause its a big hassle. This goes double for stuff like long term contracts or tying your phone to the contract; it locks you in means they don't have to worry about you leaving during that time at all.

Calling in to threaten to cancel every ~year is indeed a good way to get a discount or remove BS additional charges they add to your bill.
E: Note that this applies to stuff like car insurance, internet, TV and even your gym membership. Worst case scenario is that they say "Lol, go ahead and cancel" but odds are decent they will give you at least a temporary discount.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:31:20 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120318 on: October 27, 2021, 11:59:39 am »

I am not even ''sad''. She is gone, and thats that. But I can help but feel a bit of grief.

My condolences. I felt similarly when we lost my Grandma recently. We all knew she was on her way out, but I miss her all the same. Hope you're doing well.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120319 on: October 27, 2021, 02:02:10 pm »

*googles impostor syndrome but you're actually an impostor*

Fucking grad school.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120320 on: October 27, 2021, 02:38:57 pm »

*googles impostor syndrome but you're actually an impostor*

Fucking grad school.

Yeah, college in general can get that way. Hopefully you've got some time to relax and enjoy yourself as well, although I remember that being in short supply.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #120321 on: October 27, 2021, 02:51:08 pm »

Now that Halloween approaches, we must rebrand impostor syndrome as amogus pocus

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120322 on: October 27, 2021, 03:46:14 pm »

Now that Halloween approaches, we must rebrand impostor syndrome as amogus pocus

"Sorry sir, but your diagnosis is not for the weak-hearted."

"Tell me, I can handle it!"

"You have contracted the Amogus Pocus, my dear sir. You will die in 69 seconds."

"NOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Goddamit, you made me laugh at the sad thread.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • frick u america
    • View Profile
« Reply #120323 on: October 27, 2021, 11:53:21 pm »

If someone told me that I was going to die in 69 seconds, or any other time unit for that matter, the only thing I'd say would be "nice."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120324 on: October 28, 2021, 03:03:18 am »

You are going to die 2000 years from now
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

Enjoy the freedom to explore the limits of your constraints

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120325 on: October 28, 2021, 03:06:38 am »

These assholes saying "Live each day as if it's your last" have- had, no idea what they were saying.
They/them
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #120326 on: October 28, 2021, 07:55:59 am »

These assholes saying "Live each day as if it's your last" have- had, no idea what they were saying.
tearfully calls all of my friends everyday to tell them to live on without me

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #120327 on: October 28, 2021, 08:25:59 am »

Yea, definitely don't live each day as though it's your last. Better to appreciate each day fully.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120328 on: October 28, 2021, 08:42:12 am »

Another relative of my wife just died of covid. He was the main bread winner on his family that included his grandsons left orphaned many years ago in an accident...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120329 on: October 31, 2021, 07:44:32 am »

Found out from my father that my cat died the other day. She was on the side of the road, but we don't know how it happened because she didn't look injured at all.

It hurts more because I haven't seen her in weeks.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 8020 8021 [8022] 8023 8024 ... 8056