Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8026 8027 [8028] 8029 8030 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8472110 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120405 on: December 06, 2021, 11:29:31 pm »

If it makes you feel any better(?), you'd be in pretty solid scriptural company regarding that discomfort. Public prayer in general, and especially as part of a social demonstration, is somethin' Matthew at a minimum was like, "Yo', seriously, don't do that shit, it'll bar the gates of heaven to you dawg." He warned folks about those prayer stairs. Knocks all your heaven stuff out your pockets or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120406 on: December 07, 2021, 08:39:09 am »

I just had a sad realization.
It's so obvious that I wonder
Why it's taken several years
To have this realization.
I am older than Toady.
I may die before Toady.
Therefore I may never see
DF's final form, given the
Assumption that development
Ends when he ends.
 :'(
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #120407 on: December 07, 2021, 08:42:12 am »

I'm not really fond of being prayed for. I'm actually Catholic (surprise) but it's hard to imagine most Christians actually wanting me to be alive, let alone happy.
Fuck 'em.
Live a long and happy life, just to keep fucking with them.

I'm often downright offended when people publicly claim to pray for others, as I feel they do so for their own glory rather than any actual comforting.
A more private offering is fine, as it indicates they care, and that is nice.

Pointing out that "don't pray publicly in such a way that your praying is visible to other people" is pretty much explicit in the Gospels. Frumple beat me to the point.

I am older than Toady.
I may die before Toady.
Ends when he ends.

Sad to think about.

It's interesting that something as mundane as DF's long development cycle forces us to think about mortality and its consequences. I think it's fitting, given that legacy is one of DF's central themes.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 08:44:37 am by Eschar »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #120408 on: December 07, 2021, 09:11:46 am »

I hope I don't die in a car crash or an armed robbery or something and don't get to see DF finally release.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120409 on: December 07, 2021, 03:04:19 pm »

I'm not really fond of being prayed for. I'm actually Catholic (surprise) but it's hard to imagine most Christians actually wanting me to be alive, let alone happy.

Can't doubt for a second there are nasty people out there going after your head, we've all been there, but I certainly don't think most resent you. I bet they want you to be happy, and that's what drives their attitude. It's just your perspectives are at odds, and can't agree on what's good.

Speaking of which, why are you even a Catholic? That is, still a Catholic. It seems to me you've given those beliefs up already. And I'm in no way trying to upset you, I seriously think it would be better for you to stick to the path you've set out for yourself, rather than trying to appease both sides, if you get me.

Be it however it be, I wish you luck. I hope you'll find the right way.

I am older than Toady.
I may die before Toady.
Ends when he ends.

It's not about the destination, but the friends we've made   I mean the updates we played along the way. I'm happy for what we got so far. Seriously, DF is such an incomprehensible masterpiece of limitless potential, stories and art as it is... Oh dear, I've just pictured its FINAL FORM oh yeah I can see your point.

I hope I don't die in a car crash or an armed robbery or something and don't get to see DF finally release.

We all do, that would be a great loss indeed  ;) . But there's enough tragedies on this fallen world, we have to look for the joys of life. I think that's one of the prime goals of one's lifetime, to get to the point, when you reach true contentment, and you kinda don't mind if you die tomorrow or fifty years ahead. You just know, you've had a good run. Hard to get there, but it's a sense of wonder and ultimate peace, pricelessly dear.

It's easy to get overwhelmed by all the evil and destruction you encounter in the world, especially now when you can get news from each and every corner of the world in a blink. I mean, look at me when I joined the Bay, a lil' whiny child, unable to comprehend and process the new harsh realities, coming each and every day... But we all will have to stop worrying about things we can change. We need to get a hold of our lives, fix our homes, bring goodwill and kindness to the little spot we inhabit, the one place we can. We all need to say to ourselves one day, we've had a good run.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120410 on: December 07, 2021, 03:11:24 pm »

Speaking of which, why are you even a Catholic? That is, still a Catholic. It seems to me you've given those beliefs up already. And I'm in no way trying to upset you, I seriously think it would be better for you to stick to the path you've set out for yourself, rather than trying to appease both sides, if you get me.

Great grandma was a nun and the most precious object I own is her rosary.

My baseline beliefs and orientations about the mystery and unknowability of God are still in line with Catholic doctrine (and very incompatible with the more welcoming Protestants). I'm sure that I'd be considered faithless or apostate by the majority of Catholics, but I've never let group opinion stop me before.

I cleared out the last of my late work yesterday. It's stressful ... If I get kicked out of grad school in the next couple of weeks, please don't judge me. I'm really trying hard but it may not be good enough to get off of academic probation.

One more report to turn in today and a final to take tomorrow, and I'm done with the quarter.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120411 on: December 07, 2021, 03:40:50 pm »

Eh, even if you get kicked out you'll have made it further than I have, or basically several tens/hundreds of thousands of people in my general area. I can guarantee any judgements will be positive ones :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120412 on: December 07, 2021, 03:55:16 pm »

Great grandma was a nun and the most precious object I own is her rosary.

My baseline beliefs and orientations about the mystery and unknowability of God are still in line with Catholic doctrine (and very incompatible with the more welcoming Protestants). I'm sure that I'd be considered faithless or apostate by the majority of Catholics, but I've never let group opinion stop me before.

I see, that's fair. I'm flattered a bit even  ;) I was just worried a bit, stuff like this might result in lots of confusion and contention. It's not necessarily about being faithless, apostate, perhaps, the problem wirh calling oneself a Catholic, everyone's gonna assume you're in line with all of the doctrine, which might not be the case. If this is how you feel and what you believe, I won't try to convince otherwise, again, I'm not trying to blame you or anything. Just reminding that the world often doesn't care, and yes, that's quite sad as well.

I cleared out the last of my late work yesterday. It's stressful ... If I get kicked out of grad school in the next couple of weeks, please don't judge me. I'm really trying hard but it may not be good enough to get off of academic probation.

One more report to turn in today and a final to take tomorrow, and I'm done with the quarter.

Don't mind schools, I sure don't  :P Doesn't mean you're useless, weak or stupid. While I wasn't ever kicked out of a school, I've missed my chance to get to an university. And for a young man, after years of struggling learning 90% useless trivia that's not even interesting, the rest that's actually worth something one forgets quick, when you finally have a chance to prove yourself and build a fortune for you and others, you know, be a man, it just all shatters in an instant, because of five  or so points not enough on a piece of paper... Yeah that makes you feel quite bad. It's almost as if it's set up to make you feel this way, I hate schools. But alas, once again, the world doesn't care.

Okay now that was my little sad vent  :P the point is, don't feel bad if you fail at school. I hope you'll succeed, that you'll fare further than me in this painful endeavor. Wish you luck again.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120413 on: December 07, 2021, 04:06:46 pm »

Don't worry, no one will mistake me ... when I want to listen to mass, I do it from the narthex. And I usually cry.

Similarly, I don't say I'm a Catholic outside of these kinds of religious discussions. Actually, people usually assume that I'm a Jew ;)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #120414 on: December 07, 2021, 05:44:26 pm »

I wouldn't! Largely because (to my knowledge) I've only met one Jew. And he was a lecturer.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #120415 on: December 07, 2021, 06:05:50 pm »

Hey, people assumed I was a Jew back in high school! It was the hair, mostly, and a vague name relation to South Park.

This, unfortunately, led to relentless bullying, because kids are cruel and don't learn good lessons from South Park.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120416 on: December 07, 2021, 06:47:39 pm »

I have reddish-brown curly hair of the type that, on a white person, makes my own relatives go ". . . is that natural or did u perm it. Is it dyed"

I was actually shocked when I learned that blue and green eyes are so common in England. To me they seem very strange u_u And that many "normal" white people cannot really go out in direct sunlight even for a little walk.

But yes, maybe Jewish people are a lot more common in the US. Or maybe the bits of Yiddish and occasional observances of Jewish holidays make people feel safe? Who knows!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #120417 on: December 07, 2021, 07:24:20 pm »

Oh, yeah, caveat- I'm not at all Jewish. I had to convince teachers that I, as an early teenage boy, did not get my hair permed. My peers just knew that hurting people was fun, so it didn't really matter one way or another. I was also an immature weirdo when I was young, so it's not really surprising that it happened to me in particular.

Good times, fond memories, depression/10.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #120418 on: December 07, 2021, 07:49:26 pm »

My eye colour is possibly blue, possibly green, and there's brown around the pupil. I tend to say 'hazel' though honestly not sure if that's right.

Granted, I'm only 1/2 English.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120419 on: December 07, 2021, 10:08:21 pm »

I do think some degree of jewish phenotype expression actually is fairly common stateside, for what it's worth. Not necessarily folks that consider themselves jewish or would be considered jewish, but has blood relation relatively close back that shows to some extent -- my grandmother's father was jewish, ferex, and having a 1/16th or 1/32nd or something seems pretty common.

Since I started letting my hair grow out, well over a decade ago, I occasionally get folks asking me if I'm an orthodox jew or something along those lines. I'm not (and my hair looks a lot more like it came from the native american side of things about as far back, tbh, especially before it started thinning/receeding), and if you pay much attention I don't really look it, but if you're not paying attention or looking from a distance, I sorta' do. It feels like it's a thing common enough it's not necessarily an oddity, at least in the parts of the US I've been to.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 8026 8027 [8028] 8029 8030 ... 8153