Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8027 8028 [8029] 8030 8031 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8471486 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120420 on: December 08, 2021, 09:28:00 am »

I think it's more that with the stronger Jewish presence in US media these appearances (which while more common in Jewish ethnicities are by no means Jew only things) has become to be galvanised as "Jewish" traits to the Americans even as they pop up in non-jewish European ethnicities. Whereas over on this side of the ditch (or at least in my Swedish experience) they're just considered ordinary if uncommon expressions of our ethnicities.
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120421 on: December 08, 2021, 11:48:55 am »

Jewish is both an ethnicity and a religion. So a jew mitgh not be jewish and a jewish is not necesarily jew?

Say that three times as fast as you can.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120422 on: December 08, 2021, 12:02:29 pm »

I'm a non-jewish dutch jew with high-blonde aryan looks, except for the brown-in-green-in-blue eyes.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120423 on: December 08, 2021, 01:17:29 pm »

I'm a non-jewish dutch jew with high-blonde aryan looks, except for the brown-in-green-in-blue eyes.

Die oorspronklike broer :o

Facial features within nations are interesting. Over here in Bohemia there's not much in common, there are some original Slavic features but we're kind of a crossroad between all different kinds of folks. Perhaps that's why we don't think about it too much, unless you're an obvious foreigner, mostly due to skin tone, you wouldn't stick out here, at least from what I've observed.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120424 on: December 08, 2021, 04:12:46 pm »

Yes, the one time I went to Europe it was like "Well, you're definitely European (not from the colonies) but not from this country. So which one is it?"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #120425 on: December 08, 2021, 05:07:30 pm »

I've been identified as a Jew too in the past but I think it's because part of my last name is also shared with a a representative of a prolific Jewish association (it's not an otherwise "jewish" sounding ie jiddish ie steinberg type name) rather than my looks.

I've done some light research into the name and I can't find any other associations with it than Jewish ones. Which makes it possible that the ancestor who brought it over here (he was from Mecklenburg, Germany) was a Jew who became a swordsmaster and then was nobled for his accomplishments. Or at least descended and name-begotten from Jews. He'd probably have to convert at that point anyway if he (or his ancestors) hadn't before.
Love, scriver~

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120426 on: December 09, 2021, 02:44:39 am »

Someone asked me if I was a Jew once, and it was one of the funniest moments in my life - it was in elementary, whilw I had my rosary on me xD made my day.

Yeah people are pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff over here. But that's quite understandable when you look at the history - first you have the hussites, then the catholic Austrian empire, then Nazi occupation, and at last, a communistic hellscape that banned outright everything. So yeah, when the standards were changing so fast, and the last thing people were told is that religion bad... It makes sense.

Also scriver you're hereby knighted a Sir. Sir Scriver has a nice ring to it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120427 on: December 09, 2021, 05:30:49 am »

I tend to describe myself as a 'Hitler-jew'.
If Hitler hadn't existed, I would most likely not even have known that I am jewish.

But since he did exist, and gassed, shot, and otherwise murdered more than 95% of my family 2 generations up and older, we were made quite aware that our mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother once registered herself as jewish in the Netherlands some 300 years ago. The religious part of being jewish was already abandoned by my great-grandparents.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120428 on: December 09, 2021, 07:42:07 am »

hello insomnia, my old friend

I see you're here to fuck with me again
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #120429 on: December 09, 2021, 10:14:49 pm »

Just as I get to kinda liking the Live-Action Cowboy Bebop, they announced no Season Two.  :'(

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120430 on: December 10, 2021, 01:06:03 pm »

just when they cast someone for my favorite character from the original show >:(

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120431 on: December 10, 2021, 06:03:53 pm »

Just as I get to kinda liking the Live-Action Cowboy Bebop, they announced no Season Two.  :'(

I haven't watched it, but I heard it was a horribly cringey trainwreck. What is it you were liking about it?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120432 on: December 10, 2021, 06:59:24 pm »

Society really must be changing if that is what is now considered a "cringeworthy trainwreck." I mean it wasn't the best thing I've ever seen, but I don't think I'd call it a trainwreck.

Spoiler: opinion (click to show/hide)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120433 on: December 10, 2021, 07:26:36 pm »

Again, I haven't watched it, but the reactions I've seen were highly negative and critical of the changes to the story and the casting decisions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120434 on: December 10, 2021, 08:24:40 pm »

which is mildly interesting, what little chatter I've seen has praised the casting and basically nothing else, heh
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 8027 8028 [8029] 8030 8031 ... 8153