Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8049 8050 [8051] 8052 8053 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8471270 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120750 on: May 26, 2022, 03:52:59 am »

Yeah, in my experience churches don't seem great at eulogizing. Crushes someone down to one singular aspect.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120751 on: May 27, 2022, 01:20:20 pm »

Curse saturday mornings I wish it caused intense pain akin to lemon and chilli juice in the eyes, to be awake on a saturday before noon, on the whole body up their asshole idgaf.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 05:12:34 am by dragdeler »
let

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120752 on: May 28, 2022, 10:58:01 am »

I have been talking to a lot of people lately who are in full-blown "I don't care to take care of my health, because I'm fine with dying in 20 years" mode.

Even with everything I've been through, I never got there. It makes me sad and worried about the future.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120753 on: May 28, 2022, 11:40:09 am »

Oh... yeah, I've been there since I was like 12, ha. More seriously as I got older -- I haven't expected to live to retirement age for well over a decade, now. I sorta' take care of my health (mostly because I'm caretaking for my grandparents, but once they go *shrugs*), but, like... not nearly well enough, and between likely inherited issues that's probably not far from kicking up and being poor in a poor area in a shit, shit state, I just don't expect to last that long. Nothing about my life or health or family history or environment suggests it's likely.

It's not entirely a bad thing, though? At last part of it comes from just being okay with dying. I've been up mountains, in caves, from one side of the US to the other. Swam in the ocean, in lakes, rivers. Helped build and repair a house or two, all sorts of stuff. For all I've spent a lot of time as what amounts to a techno hermit due to a lot of reasons (mostly just... hating where I live, pretty intensely, heh), for a long while now I've felt like I've done enough, y'know? I've lived a life full enough to be content with kicking the bucket, and there's precious few people likely to outlive me that I give much of a damn about, so no regret-y things on that front. Long as I can manage shelter and food and something to read I'm pretty content with the thought of just mostly just reading a bunch for another decade or two and then getting to have the best nap ever, the one I don't have to wake up from.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120754 on: May 28, 2022, 12:13:59 pm »

I mean, one of the top line-items on my to-do list is to write my will since I think there's a reasonable chance of being killed in some way through the next five years, but to me, that's different ...

It's one thing to say "I think I may die soon," it's another thing to do things purposefully that you know will accelerate the process.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #120755 on: May 28, 2022, 12:15:48 pm »

I'm pretty content with the thought of just mostly just reading a bunch for another decade or two and then getting to have the best nap ever, the one I don't have to wake up from.

That's only how people who take care of their health go. People who don't die slowly, over many years of decades.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120756 on: May 28, 2022, 12:40:07 pm »

Nah, let be pretty clear on this one: I'm not going to have slow, lingering death. I've seen what that looks like, I've been helping take care of it for the last few years. Either something will take me pretty quick when the time comes, or I'll do it myself.

... though the only reason I haven't got a will done up is because I just... don't really have anything to will, and what little I do I care remarkably little about, heh. Literally all I own is about a week's worth of clothes, a laptop and tablet, and what's in my bank account (which is... sorta' okay for someone in my economic situation -- about a year or two's worth of below-poverty-line income -- but not exactly enough to do much of import with). Standard inheritance process is fine, next of kin hasn't quite pissed me off enough to bother with something else. Did enough research to know I don't care enough to do something unusual with it.

But yeah, I've been calling it passively suicidal, though there's probably a better term. Not at the point of purposefully seeking out self-destructive stuff (if mostly just because most of what I'm particularly inclined towards makes me feel physically miserable nowadays, and I'm exhausted, not masochistic), but there's definitely a major "not taking care of myself" pattern of behavior. Don't have the energy for it, and don't really think trying would make much of a difference. There's just not much help for folks in the position I'm in, can't muster the effort or resources to manage without help, and I don't have any reason to expect that to change before something kills me.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120757 on: May 28, 2022, 12:46:47 pm »

TFW when you did everything right to die slowly but faster, licking the tar out of every last cigarette bud, and you still find yourself part of the higher ranks of the cyberdjihad in 2087. Sigh, better luck next time.
let

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120758 on: May 29, 2022, 06:24:28 pm »

I don't have plan. I just don't. The answer to the dillema of "Should I just lie down and die, or try to be something?" is very much beyond me. I have no answers. Both seems reasonable and stupid at the same time.

Everything seems so uncertain. So muddy. Nothing is stable except for a slowly approaching, looming presence of entropy coming to take its due from us.

I know life is inherently unstable. But I also know that this current global situation is not normal, and is relatively chaotic.

But, I guess this is how it is.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #120759 on: May 29, 2022, 07:45:12 pm »

I try to take care of my health, because I generally believe we live as long as we live regardless of our health decisions.
What I'm trying to change is the quality of my life.
I want to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120760 on: May 29, 2022, 09:00:43 pm »

I smoke. I drink. But that's not because I want to die or commit slow suicide, it's because I want to *live*.
I don't need to live a hundred years in good health if I can live 70 having fun and enjoying my freedoms.
Hell, I'll save society tons of money in elderly care, even. I hope it's spent on the future of the younger generations that come after me.
Live life to the max.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 09:04:16 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #120761 on: May 29, 2022, 09:06:09 pm »

I probably shouldn't get too preachy, since I drink like a fish
But smoking means society is going to have to pay for your future poor health. It might take 10 years off your life, but society's gonna pay for your health problems for 10 years leading up to that.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #120762 on: May 29, 2022, 09:06:21 pm »

Mm, life is for living. You can live “properly” by doing all the right things for your body, at the end of the day you’ll end up in the same place as someone who shot up every day of their life.

Do what makes you happy, man.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120763 on: May 29, 2022, 09:10:26 pm »

I probably shouldn't get too preachy, since I drink like a fish
But smoking means society is going to have to pay for your future poor health. It might take 10 years off your life, but society's gonna pay for your health problems for 10 years leading up to that.
Smoking related healthcare takes up a fair amount of healthcare budget, but it is dwarfed by far by elderly care for the 'healthy' elderly.
It's just that the anti-smoking and healthy lifestyle lobby is much more vocal about the costs than the elderly care homes. And they tend to omit the excise taxes collected by the state on tobacco and alcohol. Not to mention the health benefits of stress reduction and entertainment.
My smoking habits are paying for the elderly care.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 09:15:07 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #120764 on: May 29, 2022, 09:21:40 pm »

It's just that the anti-smoking and healthy lifestyle lobby is much more vocal about the costs

Seriously, these folks are one of the main reasons I'm not stopping smoking. Not the only one, mind you, and it ain't that easy quitting, but listening to the anti-smoking blathering directed at addicted smokers makes you just want to smoke even more.

Being addicted sucks health-wise, but it's one of the few enjoyments my poor ass gets, so I won't be dropping it probably until too late.
Pages: 1 ... 8049 8050 [8051] 8052 8053 ... 8153