Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends mode... In real life. (err almost)  (Read 1289 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Legends mode... In real life. (err almost)
« on: October 10, 2009, 09:31:32 pm »

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/mccool.html

The names... The story... The awesome.

Its just like looking up legends mode.

AND HIS NAME IS MCCOOL.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:42:57 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Legends mode... In real life. (err almost)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 11:26:05 pm »

Dorfy.

I think I recall Cracked.com doing a Legends Mode -- Bible Edition before.

Here are the articles I'm referring to:
9 Most Badass Bible Verses
5 Superpowers from the Bible that Put Marvel and DC to Shame
The Holy Bible: A Book Review
6 Raunchiest Most Depraved Sex Acts from the Bible (Your read that correctly)

((Caution: Big Religious Tangent; Partially spoilered to fit.))

...I still scratch my head why so few people read this book. It has EVERYTHING!!! It's our history! Well, from way back, but still.

Holy crap! If that doesn't catch anyone's interest in reading it (the Bible, that is)... Meh, I dunno. I just have to say our entire history in there is messed up.

Not to start any flame wars or anything, but I think too many people associate the Bible for the New Testament, and ONLY the New Testament (and zealots, and the twisted views from the media, and all negative news, etc.; I think people just don't want to believe there are powers beyond our control, and kick the "weak" into the ground.) Take a glance in there for some serious badasses.

Even Jesus Christ has to count somewhere along the line. His story MAKES the New Testament. Almost literally.

I mean, the Old Testament is just freaking nuts. The New Testament is reminding us not to repeat history, and not get God mad. See Old Testament for reasons why.

God was essentially Armok in a past life according to that, by comparison. Since the New Testament, He's lightened up big time. But He still knows how to strike, and hard.

Catechism classes really pay off when knowing this kind of stuff. I just tire of the media's constant bastardizing of all religion. If you don't want to believe in something, fine; but you don't have to be such a dick about it. We have enough bullies as is. I'm certain every religion will have gotten tired of saying "I told you so" when the time comes.

Sorry about the rant; but you want the Ultimate Book of Legends for this world; The Bible is the answer. And if you can read the original Latin script, even better. There's still so much more in the Bible that we don't know, due to what has been banned by the Vatican. I can only imagine what must've either shocked, or terrified them.

My freaking goodness, the crap that people don't know, or are even aware of. Take too much lightly, sooner or later...

HORRORS! DEMONS IN THE DEEP!

The world will be riddled with all sorts of Clowns.

The world's reaction: "Well... Carp."

EDIT:
And now my hands are tired.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 11:31:11 pm by Itnetlolor »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 11:51:34 pm »

Oh wow, just wow. And yes I did read all that.

Now we have a dorfy and Uman IRL legends, we need some cutebold and gobbo ones!

Now pointing some very dorfy things on Finn's story:

His last name is McCool: Urist McCool has been happy lately, he tore a giant apart lately.

The King's name is Conn of the Hundred Battles, something DF does alot, to a lesser extent.

Nobles being killed by magma/fire: "...only possible way of resolving this unfortunate situation was to tie the poor girl to a stake and set her on fire until she died from it."

Elves: ...and when the baby was born he had the kid sent off to live with a couple crazy-ass warrior women in the middle of the woods somewhere.

Young Finn McCool (who, by the way, is also known as Fionn Mac Cumhaill – I of course chose this spelling because it is probably one of the most awesome names ever) spend his formative years growing up in a magical forest surrounded by insane man-eating monsters and being trained in the arts of war and hunting by his face-melting Druid priestess aunt and her best friend, the blademistress Liath Luachra.

Crazy artifacts: Another time he helped a wise and powerful sage catch the Salmon of Wisdom, a magical fish that granted the gift of supreme intelligence to the first person that ate it (as a bizarre side note, the Salmon of Wisdom got its interesting powers super-geniusness by eating the Nuts of Wisdom.  There's no mention of where the nuts came from, but I kind of love the fact that there's such a thing as the mythological nuts of wisdom.)

Megabeasts: ...and decided to save the town from a badass monster known as Aillen the Burner.

Aillen was kind of like a 3rd century Irish version of Trogdor the Dragon-Man. 

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:07:51 am by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Godwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.slaythedwarves.org
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 03:27:03 am »

Dorfy.

I think I recall Cracked.com doing a Legends Mode -- Bible Edition before.

Here are the articles I'm referring to:
9 Most Badass Bible Verses
5 Superpowers from the Bible that Put Marvel and DC to Shame
The Holy Bible: A Book Review
6 Raunchiest Most Depraved Sex Acts from the Bible (Your read that correctly)

((Caution: Big Religious Tangent; Partially spoilered to fit.))

...I still scratch my head why so few people read this book. It has EVERYTHING!!! It's our history! Well, from way back, but still.

Holy crap! If that doesn't catch anyone's interest in reading it (the Bible, that is)... Meh, I dunno. I just have to say our entire history in there is messed up.

Not to start any flame wars or anything, but I think too many people associate the Bible for the New Testament, and ONLY the New Testament (and zealots, and the twisted views from the media, and all negative news, etc.; I think people just don't want to believe there are powers beyond our control, and kick the "weak" into the ground.) Take a glance in there for some serious badasses.

Even Jesus Christ has to count somewhere along the line. His story MAKES the New Testament. Almost literally.

I mean, the Old Testament is just freaking nuts. The New Testament is reminding us not to repeat history, and not get God mad. See Old Testament for reasons why.

God was essentially Armok in a past life according to that, by comparison. Since the New Testament, He's lightened up big time. But He still knows how to strike, and hard.

Catechism classes really pay off when knowing this kind of stuff. I just tire of the media's constant bastardizing of all religion. If you don't want to believe in something, fine; but you don't have to be such a dick about it. We have enough bullies as is. I'm certain every religion will have gotten tired of saying "I told you so" when the time comes.

Sorry about the rant; but you want the Ultimate Book of Legends for this world; The Bible is the answer. And if you can read the original Latin script, even better. There's still so much more in the Bible that we don't know, due to what has been banned by the Vatican. I can only imagine what must've either shocked, or terrified them.

My freaking goodness, the crap that people don't know, or are even aware of. Take too much lightly, sooner or later...

HORRORS! DEMONS IN THE DEEP!

The world will be riddled with all sorts of Clowns.

The world's reaction: "Well... Carp."

EDIT:
And now my hands are tired.

That's great, but to say that the only reason people don't believe in God is because they don't want to think there's something stronger than them seems a bit paranoid. Regardless of your beliefs, it's a relatively interesting book at times, if you have the patience to decipher the bloody thing.

I'll just stick with the Eddur, if it's all the same.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 12:03:23 am »

People also tend to leave out Jesus' exaggerative sense of humor. To prove how dumb something was he would take it to its extreme (most often in the cases of the religious institutions of the day). (If you want examples, read it and determine them for yourself. Dammit Jim, I'm a forum poster, not a preacher!)

I agree with Godwin's point on that not being the reason people don't want to believe in (a) God. At least, not for everyone, or maybe even the majority. Anger and fear are certainly motivators, but its an awfully broad brush to paint everyone with.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 05:14:32 am »

I think people just don't want to believe there are powers beyond our control, and kick the "weak" into the ground.

I warn you now; that statement is about as well-informed as saying that people don't believe in Santa Claus because they're too cynical to think someone so generous could exist. I'll make no further comment there.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 06:33:00 am »

I'm glad that this forum stays so level headed when the topic of belief comes up - some other forums just degenerate into poorly spelled ragestorms that gets out of hand quickly.

Which is ironic in a way, since it's a board dedicated to fortresses of beings that go absolutely mental if their cat falls down a mineshaft and they haven't had enough sleep.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 07:14:07 am »

Not to demean McCool, but Cuchulainn was way more badass.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 11:00:02 am »

I'm glad that this forum stays so level headed when the topic of belief comes up - some other forums just degenerate into poorly spelled ragestorms that gets out of hand quickly.

Which is ironic in a way, since it's a board dedicated to fortresses of beings that go absolutely mental if their cat falls down a mineshaft and they haven't had enough sleep.

That's probably what balances it out.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 03:00:55 pm »

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/voytek.html
Voytek the soldier bear. Something like that would never fly today.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 03:01:30 pm »

Ha. That's one of the stories I decided to read.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.