Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Embark Location Ever?  (Read 1065 times)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
Best Embark Location Ever?
« on: October 09, 2009, 02:08:05 pm »

Seriously, what was your best embark ever?
For me, it was a terrifying scorching desert with not 1 but TWO underground rivers, and a lava pool.
I build a 90% above-ground dwarven desert city, with everyone I didn't like dying to the heat.
the only problems were the harpies and what-not. I had to build battlements all around the city, and it took up half the map, on a 5x5 embark.
My demise came from the inside. When desert humans were raiding, one of my most popular dwarves was committed. The entire tantrum spiral left 5 alive, and with the ensuing migration of 8 ALL NOBLES, I knew that was the end.

HOW BOUT YOU WEAKLINGS?
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Embark Location Ever?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 04:24:55 pm »

My latest embark was pretty crazy... very resource rich. Half a dozen veins of magnentite so far, and as many again of bauxite without even looking. One even had a star sapphire. Lots of gold, too, and heavy forests over most of the nearly-flat map. A brook, an underground pool, a magma pipe. A chasm with GCS reasonably easily trapped for silk.

But to make things interesting it was of course evil... but I've only seen one species of undead. Alligators that seem to come in waves... none for a season then three in a row. The first zombie one wasn't a problem, nor the second - I knew it was an evil embark and had two dwarfs embark with a few points in several military skills. The first skeletal alligator, though? Nearest I've come to losing a fort to wildlife.

(It's actually gotten pretty boring. The orcs took long enough to show up and fully trained dwarfs have had no problem with the 50+ undead alligators since then. As long as I pay attention to the "job canceled" spam to see if it ends in 'zombie/skeletal alligator' I'm fine.)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 05:25:55 pm »

A place with a huge 100-z-level mountain, and a couple of (relatively) smaller mountains. The only noteworthy resources it had were trees, soil, a couple clusters of magnetite, more tin than I know what to do with, and HFS, though.

I've since figured out how to easily get other features on my giant-ass mountains, but I haven't actually played on them yet, so they don't count.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:01:18 pm »

Magma pool, underground pool and river, terrifying biomes.  All pretty standard, and the magma wasn't even renewable.

But the top three ground layers were solid obsidian, next to a wooded grassland.  And the three layers below that were all marble.  Unlimited obsidian goods and blades and rooms, with unlimited flux and smelting magma and (just a little) native iron.  And naturally at war with Elves.  I was living fat and happy there.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:57:59 pm »

Haven't had a chance to play much on it yet, but my current embark is promising;

Chasm, Lake, River, HFS, and Magma, all in a 90 z-level chunk of mountain surrounded by a flat, terrifying jungle with live trees and undead monkeys, all in a 6x6 embark.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 09:03:06 pm »

My latest 5x5 embark was pretty crazy. every tim I dug undergournd I hit a different feature.

I ended up pretty much digging my fortress straight down in an 16squared space I knew was free of stuff - then built the rest aboveground.

it ended up having magma pool and pipe. water river and pool, HFS of the most ungodly sort - the adamant was entirely elsewhere from the stupid stupid ROOM OF CLOWNS - and a bottomless pit just FILLED with damnedflyingthings.

Needless to say, I didn't last long - the orcs, you know. Too crowded for the pacifying dining hall trick.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 09:15:22 pm »

Arn't you people forgetting "Dwarf Heaven" ?
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32682.0

The site that has a:
River,
Bottomless Pit
Magam Pipe
Chasm,
Underground River
HSF.
?

Really you can't beat that!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 09:18:57 pm »

GCS GCS don't forget the GCS!

And the absolutely PERFECT valley.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 09:36:37 pm »

Forgetting? I didn't know it existed! woo! that's my next site f'sure.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 11:24:15 pm »

My current fort is in a heavily forested savage area with a brook, sand, access to all four major stone layer types for maximum variety of metals and gems, flux, bauxite, magma pipe, underground pool, underground river, bottomless pit, chasm, and adamantine. I can't remember if it has a magma pool, so it might even have that too.

None of the underground features are exposed to the surface, so you don't have to worry about pesky fire imps starting brush fires, or batmen ganking lone dwarves, but the magma pipe is only covered by a thin obsidian cap for easy access, and the underground pool is sufficiently close to the surface that its cave spiders are happy to spin webs that you can access.

The only downsides are that it's not an evil biome (although I think they're overrated anyway, since they lack the precious unicorns), I haven't breached the chasm/pit yet so I don't know if it has any GCSs, and the site is slightly bigger than normal (7x8 I think).