Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frequencies of stone veins.  (Read 7272 times)

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Frequencies of stone veins.
« on: April 03, 2012, 03:18:53 pm »

So I've been having a problem with a minor addition to the stone raws.
I added a handful of marble types to marble that form veins within marble layers. They're worth more, and are different, relatively rare colors. The problem is, is that there is a tendency for there to only be one type on a single map, despite all of the types having the more or less the same raws.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Swedish green was the only green marble that really exists IRL. But the name doesn't fit DF. So I faux-germanized it. I might go ahead and look up the dwarf word for green and use that later but rambleramblerambleblahblahblah.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Frequencies of stone veins.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 03:25:06 pm »

How many different types of stones are on a map depends on the world gen settings. Mineral scarcity.
How many actual stones of that type, in raw number, are on a map, depends on the Frequency in the inorganic raws.

Example:

Low mineral scarcity = 1 marble type, super high mineral scarcity = 5 marble types.
Marble has frequency of 10, you get a few hundret marble stones.
Marble has a frequency of 100, you get a few thousand marble stones.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 03:28:44 pm »

I thought lower scarcity in World Gen increase the number of minerals?
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 03:29:56 pm »

My bad, simple misspelling ;)

High mineral occurance, OR low mineral scarcity. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 03:35:02 pm »

Thanks. Genned a couple more worlds and I finally got a world with multiple types in it and there seems to be an equal amount of each kind that actually shows up. Guess its just luck of the draw. Which is actually more realistic anyway. And prophyry seems to be a 100% chance of showing up, cuz its in small clusters instead of veins I guess. A whopping 500 of the stuff on a 5v5 with about a million marble.

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 05:48:45 pm »

How many different types of stones are on a map depends on the world gen settings. Mineral scarcity.
How many actual stones of that type, in raw number, are on a map, depends on the Frequency in the inorganic raws.

Do you mean to say if we use low frequency numbers in the mineral raws and low mineral scarcity in worldgen, we will get a world with every type of stone on every embark, but in low quantity?

walberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 09:49:20 am »

Do you mean to say if we use low frequency numbers in the mineral raws and low mineral scarcity in worldgen, we will get a world with every type of stone on every embark, but in low quantity?

My understanding is that the mineral raw frequency numbers are relative (i.e. having 4 minerals with a FREQUENCY of 1 and one with a FREQUENCY of 2 is equivalent to having four at 10 and one at 20 - all the FREQENCYs are added up, and the individual entry is divided by the total to determine it's real frequency; obviously it's more complicated due to the constraints on what layers and other environments a particular mineral is allowed to appear in, but I think that's how the FREQUENCY part works).

The mineral scarcity just controls how frequently you will have any mineral on your site - varying from minerals and gems everywhere to layers of nothing but the layer stones. Once the total amount of minerals on your site are determined, then the mix of those minerals is subject to the FREQUENCY settings and layer restrictions.