Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1685542 times)

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1935 on: December 10, 2009, 06:00:31 am »

A4 doesnt handle veins and the like well.

I would recommend trying to get the terrain config branch from a SVN checkout running if you want to try to set up that stuff (or wait for 'granite')

In the new config system I have been working on, you would do something like:

<!-- gems -->
<block sprite= 31 >
   <!-- feat wall -->
   <terrain value= 335 />   
   <!-- vein wall -->
   <terrain value= 440 />
   <material value="Stone">
      <subtype value="ONYX"/>
      <subtype value="MORION"/>
                ... more gem types ...
   </material>
</block>

The easiest way to get an idea of the GameID/terrain values is to have a look through DFTileTypes.h in dfhack, although A4 also has some fake types used at times.

Stone is regular layer stone. Vein is specifically the stringy veins you get with some ores. Anything else is feature stone (The example above would probably only really need the feat stone terrain type). Of course, the same stone can sometimes turn up in layer and feature.

Lavastone is specifically the obsidian you get around volcanoes. This is used to override the type info, so if you have lavastone terrain with a material of Stone and a subtype of TALC, the tile is actually obsidian regardless. So you have to treat it separately from the rest of the terrain types, but in-game it should be identical to other obsidian.

Edit: terrain config just landed on the trunk
Another edit: clarification
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:02:14 am by kaypy »

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: December 10, 2009, 06:11:56 am »

1) When I try to run it in fullscreen, it crashes immediately after I press F9 to continue.
Yeah, fullscreen is FUBARed. And pretty much useless, anyway.
2) When I try to run it in 1280x800 resolution in windowed mode(or anything larger than the default, it seems), I get an "unable to set graphics mode" error.
Hmm. That ought to work... What is your screen resolution?

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: December 10, 2009, 06:28:23 am »

with options to (questions)
  • change tilesize sans recompile?
  • do merely tiles (not thickfloors) sans recompile?
  • change aspects sans recompile?
No, no and no- we might consider implementing something like that as and when theres an alternative tileset to go with it- until then, you can compile your own version for custom tile shapes.
  • change tileset by changing few lines in a config at worst?
This is what we are aiming at right now.

The tileset itself should have graphics files and xml config files. Installing should be a matter of dumping these into the right directories and adding the xml filenames to an index file. I have an example of a swappable building over in the wikia wiki that works with A4, although you have to get the xml from wiki page to file yourself...
I reserve the right to be annoyed if it keeps its ability to take down my linuxbox.
Hmm. I'm surprised it's doing that now... I'm pretty sure A4 had the 'dont kill linux' version of DFHack... Does it still do that if you get the latest version?

Hey, if you're building under linux, why do you care about having to compile your own version for custom sprites? You have to compile your own version anyway...

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #1938 on: December 10, 2009, 06:31:39 am »

This looks great but I got an issue.
Whenever I start the app it slows everything down to a crawl and uses all my cpu. Stuff only gets back to normal when I (eventually) put a window over Stonesense. The rendering seems to be very cpu hungry. I have tried changing the refresh rate to 0 and making the render size smaller but to no avail. Any idea?

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: December 10, 2009, 07:27:14 am »

I have tried changing the refresh rate to 0 and making the render size smaller but to no avail. Any idea?
Wait, so you still have issues when the auto-refresh turns off? (ie- when it stops mentioning "Reloading every x" on the top)

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #1940 on: December 10, 2009, 07:43:35 am »

I have tried changing the refresh rate to 0 and making the render size smaller but to no avail. Any idea?
Wait, so you still have issues when the auto-refresh turns off? (ie- when it stops mentioning "Reloading every x" on the top)

That is correct. I would have thought it would be the auto-reload too. Tried running with no map loaded too and it still slows everything down. o_O

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: December 10, 2009, 08:22:03 am »

Stonesense Granite

Nice! Can't wait for Stonesense Microcline!

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #1942 on: December 10, 2009, 08:25:04 am »

That is correct. I would have thought it would be the auto-reload too. Tried running with no map loaded too and it still slows everything down. o_O

Yes, I think I know what this is. DirectX will only update the active window, hence if you don't want your DirectX application to freeze when losing focus, you have to switch to CPU rendering... At least, that is my understanding of the problem...
Most people don't notice this too much, because they have monster CPUs.

Does it help to set window focus back to Stonesense?

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: December 10, 2009, 08:25:39 am »

Duplicate

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #1944 on: December 10, 2009, 09:01:30 am »

Yes, I think I know what this is. DirectX will only update the active window, hence if you don't want your DirectX application to freeze when losing focus, you have to switch to CPU rendering... At least, that is my understanding of the problem...
Most people don't notice this too much, because they have monster CPUs.

Does it help to set window focus back to Stonesense?

Not really. However I seemed to have made it become somewhat responcive after halving the window size (640*480), tile xy display count (45) and turning off LIFTSEGMENT.

A previouse version of stonesence seemed to run ok. Perhaps a new feature requiring more CPU grunt has been added and is showing the age of mine (AMD Athlon 3200+ XP)

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: December 10, 2009, 09:15:10 am »

To be honest, that bug has come and gone on my system (which is a 3400+ btw, so I know your pain :p). Right now I'm a laptop, so it's hard to reproduce, but I will look into it as best I can.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: December 10, 2009, 12:22:40 pm »

Jonas, the "imagebin" screenshots in the OP aren't showing up.  I suggest using a reliable image host like Tinypic.  I host my avatar there and it's never gone down.

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #1947 on: December 10, 2009, 12:28:44 pm »

To be honest, that bug has come and gone on my system (which is a 3400+ btw, so I know your pain :p). Right now I'm a laptop, so it's hard to reproduce, but I will look into it as best I can.

Cheers man.
I tried running it on my EEE PC and it seems to work ok (after knocking the window size back to 640x480 to fit on the screen).

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: December 10, 2009, 03:04:25 pm »

Your eeepc can run DF and Stonesense? I get 9 FPS with 20 dwarves on mine...not even running stonesense.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: December 10, 2009, 06:18:59 pm »

with options to (questions)
  • change tilesize sans recompile?
  • do merely tiles (not thickfloors) sans recompile?
  • change aspects sans recompile?
No, no and no- we might consider implementing something like that as and when theres an alternative tileset to go with it- until then, you can compile your own version for custom tile shapes.
Well, I'm not so interested in the custom shapes- mine's the usual over-2-up-1 iso, if 16x16- but I know Mayday is working on the  shapes side.

Hmm...how can one implement palettization efficiently...that would really help my endeavour (which is a minimal, appear-like-DF approach).

As for my tilesets? They're presently in actual DF-tileset form. I ran into the boundary of how tiles share graphics though (World tileset is ONE SHARED TILE barring proper render! ONE! And it is actually the elves' fault!), leading me to abandon my mockup-shortcut trick tilesets...for that purpose.
Hey, if you're building under linux, why do you care about having to compile your own version for custom sprites? You have to compile your own version anyway...
Consider that I'd need to compile one version per tileset and tell me how this isn't more inconvenient.

Furthermore, if you need to grab/compile a new version for each different tileset type, it makes it far less likely for people to use fringe tilesets.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 379