Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1691959 times)

ctharvey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1980 on: December 13, 2009, 06:00:03 pm »

I would really, REALLY, -R-E-A-L-L-Y- like to try Stonesense...

...but I use a mac.   :'(

Is there any hope for me?
get a cheap copy of xp throw it on bootcamp

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: December 13, 2009, 07:23:49 pm »

I would really, REALLY, -R-E-A-L-L-Y- like to try Stonesense...

...but I use a mac.   :'(

Is there any hope for me?
The primary reason for the lack of mac support is a lack of mac developers, especially on the DFHack side. If you have some time, maybe you could help get it working? It needs a bit of programming and a lot of memory hacking to hunt down the mac memory offsets.

DFHack information: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41916.0

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #1982 on: December 13, 2009, 07:45:13 pm »

I'd like to add that dfhack should work with the Windows version of DF running in wine. Wine also runs on OSX. This would still require some programming (finding the DF + wine process on OSX, memory reading/writing) but almost no actual memory hacking.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #1983 on: December 14, 2009, 06:29:02 am »

I decided to make a gravity defying leap from the original ASCII graphics to this... But after i hit F9 (on Stonesense) i get a the message "could not find DF process". Im running the latest version of DF, on windows 7. Just to clarify: 'Dwarf Fortress is running when i run stonesense'.
I would love to get this working

I can't see any obvious reason why it won't work...
I run XP myself, so I'm not sure about this, but maybe you can try compatibility mode?
Does it help to try an older version of DF?

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: December 14, 2009, 10:05:22 am »

Concerning the discussion on "dwarf facing ...", could somehow the direction in which they are walking be extracted? And when stationary, they face the last way they walked.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: December 14, 2009, 06:01:56 pm »

Mraedis: Originally I thought yes to this (since trader wagons are creatures and can face four ways; the initial embark wagon is a building and always faces opening-side south) but based on some info someone found in a toady interview, I'm not so sure anymore; i think creatures don't have a set direction unless engaged in battle. I don't know this for sure though; the flags for direction MIGHT be in there somewhere. But if they do exist they might not be used. Only Toady knows.

LN
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:50:17 am by Lord Nightmare »
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: December 14, 2009, 06:58:40 pm »

I really tried searching but all I could find out is that there are instructions out there for this but how do I make this work on Linux? I'm a bit of a newbie at Linux.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: December 14, 2009, 07:51:03 pm »

I really tried searching but all I could find out is that there are instructions out there for this but how do I make this work on Linux? I'm a bit of a newbie at Linux.
The instructions I put together are here
http://code.google.com/p/stonesense/source/browse/trunk/ON%20COMPILING.txt
(down the bottom) but I'm just going on what other folks say, not having set it up under linux myself

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: December 15, 2009, 04:02:45 am »

Save all your work before you do, though.
[wall of text]
Ok, heres how it looks it will work in granite (unless we have some last minute change)

* there are index files and xml files
* xml files configure how the graphics work
* index files are a list of additional files to load (can be more xml files or more index files)
* it all starts with one master index.txt file in the main stonesense directory
* all xml files can define the pngs they work with, and well as the sprites within these png files
* file loading is done in a way similar to web links: "dir/file.xml" is relative to the file you find it in, while "/dir/file.xml" is relative to the stonesense root
* the order of sprite definitions (as listed in the index files) determines which takes precedence- first definition (depth first) wins

thus you can add a directory with its own pngs, xmls, and indexes to the stonesense dir, and then add the index file to the top of the master index file, and everything will work from there if the contents have been set up right.
Um...I think last definition taking precedence makes more sense. That's how DF does it, I think. (Dwarf graphic. Then, professions, then positions, etc?) I'd need to ask someone who actually made a graphics pack.

So here's Asciso, inspired by Cobalt Kobold's stuff. The display is supposed to work exactly as in vanilla DF: the tiles used are the normal curses font. The only things that would work different:
Walls - cubes with skewed and flattened tiles drawn on them
Floors (could use flattened material tile)
Stairs and ramps would be normal graphical tiles
Creatures lying on the floor could be displayed as flattened (as seen on the mockup, the left dwarf)
All objects would get automatically created edges to make them stand out on the background.
Nicely accomplished. Does it respect BGcolors for stones? Also, I'd recommend rotating rather than squashing, though that would require more work...obsidian/granite'll look weird else.

Kinda busy now so I can't crank out my own version atm.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: December 15, 2009, 04:33:29 am »

Last position taking precedence is also how all id engines work, and I think most other mainstream engines too.
~ T

lemonpieman

• Bay Watcher
  • Maario
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: December 15, 2009, 04:46:33 am »

Lo, and behold. In my triumphant return to these lands I am led to tears. My dream of seeing this mastery of pixels in action has been fulfilled. Jonask, Solifuge, and Kaypy, If you are ever in need of wealth, consumables, or a thatch roof shielding yourself from the harsh sky, merely send me a telegram and I shall ride.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: December 15, 2009, 04:58:51 am »

Lo, and behold. In my triumphant return to these lands I am led to tears. My dream of seeing this mastery of pixels in action has been fulfilled. Jonask, Solifuge, and Kaypy, If you are ever in need of wealth, consumables, or a thatch roof shielding yourself from the harsh sky, merely send me a telegram and I shall ride.

Thank you sir, that is very kind :)
We do our best, and so does the entire community.
So a beer next time we're in town sounds about right  8)

Khalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: December 15, 2009, 08:52:59 am »

Stopped lurking to say thanks very much for this tool, it's made DF much more enjoyable, especially having dual widescreen monitors.  This combined with Mike Mayday's DFG or RantingRodent's Graphics set have really lowered the barrier to entry.  Love the pixel art style, the SpriteAttack dream is coming true!

This has come a long way very quickly, up to release 4.1 already in only 3 months!

I actually read through all 134 pages of this thread, it's quite interesting watching the pixel art and engine progress.  So I'm sorry for asking questions that have been asked before, but it's hard to remember all the answers :)

As the program has moved so quickly, can we expect another release before the new year? (Not rushing you, just hopeful)
And will objects be supported in the future?  I honestly can't think of any other feature that Stonesense needs to be complete, for me at least (other than the few missing sprites).  Animations would be nice, but at the moment the movement style fits nicely with DF itself.

I decided to make a gravity defying leap from the original ASCII graphics to this... But after i hit F9 (on Stonesense) i get a the message "could not find DF process". Im running the latest version of DF, on windows 7. Just to clarify: 'Dwarf Fortress is running when i run stonesense'.
I would love to get this working
Just guessing here, but if you have either Stonesense or DF installed in the Program Files directory, it's possible they may be running as a protected process, and therefore possibly inaccessable.  You could try installing in a different directory if you haven't already.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: December 15, 2009, 09:03:40 am »

As the program has moved so quickly, can we expect another release before the new year? (Not rushing you, just hopeful)
And will objects be supported in the future?  I honestly can't think of any other feature that Stonesense needs to be complete, for me at least (other than the few missing sprites).  Animations would be nice, but at the moment the movement style fits nicely with DF itself.

Glad to hear you liked it :)
To address a few of your questions:
  • Yes. Kaypy and I've been talking all day, and it looks like we're gonna launch a release candidate of Stonesense 1.0 (codenamed Granite) tonight. There will only be a few new on-the-surface features, since the BIG improvement here has been easier Custom Content management.
  • I agree, objects are the one last remaining thing. Right now it's something on our wish list, and it's something to work towards in a 2.0 release... The main problem is the share number of objects of course (Please, guys, don't flooded the thread with theoretical discussions of how it could be done unless you seriously know what you're talking about ;) )
  • Animations is a thing I personally am a bit on the fence about... Subtle animations, sure. They work.
    Having things bounce and skate about, try to hack in improvised movement... Not so much. See what I'm getting at here?

gilrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: December 15, 2009, 10:19:53 am »

Any chance shadows and depth shading will be in Granite? It would really add a lot to complex fortress designs I think :)

Also, this was brought up during that huge debate about isometric facing sprites, but I think it could be useful even now. Is it possible to have each sprite compare it's last position to its current one with each refresh, so that they can face different directions based on the direction they're traveling? Naturally nobody's made and back-facing sprites yet, but it would still look great if you just flip them based on left-right movement.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 379