Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1692871 times)

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #3795 on: August 16, 2010, 10:10:33 pm »

I think the developers should have this brought to their attention. From the "What turns you off about DF?" thread:

3. The 2D view. If you could play from the Stonesense window it would have been awesome.

I'm starting to get the impression that there may be a large number of people out there who think that Stonesense is made by Toady, or something. That's probably not helped by the Lazy Newb Pack. I'm not saying that this is the dev's fault, or that it's the LNP's fault, or that the LNP is bad or anything - It's just that this is occurring.

This has been a problem of sorts from the start of graphic packs...let alone visualizers....and its not so much a problem as it is misinformation and people not paying attention. For now it will be fine....when money starts getting diverted from toady...then we have an issue

Misinformation is a bit of a concern of mine as well. "king of the underworld" clarified that he knew that stonesense was separate, and I haven't seen anyone else confused about it though. I don't really don't get "large number of people", but I might try tweaking my own pack to clarify things a bit. Still, you can only have so many blinking red bold "READ THIS"s. Putting a disclaimer in utilities themselves might be a good idea though.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: August 16, 2010, 10:24:09 pm »

I think the developers should have this brought to their attention. From the "What turns you off about DF?" thread:

3. The 2D view. If you could play from the Stonesense window it would have been awesome.

I'm starting to get the impression that there may be a large number of people out there who think that Stonesense is made by Toady, or something. That's probably not helped by the Lazy Newb Pack. I'm not saying that this is the dev's fault, or that it's the LNP's fault, or that the LNP is bad or anything - It's just that this is occurring.

This has been a problem of sorts from the start of graphic packs...let alone visualizers....and its not so much a problem as it is misinformation and people not paying attention. For now it will be fine....when money starts getting diverted from toady...then we have an issue

Misinformation is a bit of a concern of mine as well. "king of the underworld" clarified that he knew that stonesense was separate, and I haven't seen anyone else confused about it though. I don't really don't get "large number of people", but I might try tweaking my own pack to clarify things a bit. Still, you can only have so many blinking red bold "READ THIS"s. Putting a disclaimer in utilities themselves might be a good idea though.

Indeed, especially since many new players use LNP or Stonesence right from the start (and will likely continue to do so), a disclaimer of some sort should be placed informing people that a particular add-on or download pack is only possible due to:

1) The super awesome game Toady is making;
2) How awesome Toady is for making DF free for us to partake (on the Fruit of Power);
3) The awesomeness of the add-on developers to keep DF and their add-on seperate (and more power to Toady);
4) The fact that this awesomeness is only possible if Toady doesn't get pressured to keep in pace with add-ons.

<...too much awesome>

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: August 16, 2010, 11:37:13 pm »

I found someone with the same problem as me 50 or so pages back but not a fix, not sure if it is fixable or whether I missed the explanation or what, but when I start up Stonesense a number of the letters are missing in a seemingly random order. Though the same each time it seems.

It's whole letters that are gone, and while I can make sense of a few of the words I can't read all of them which obviously creates a problem, any ideas?

Try a different renderer in the Init file?
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: August 16, 2010, 11:43:49 pm »

A crazy idea. Could Stonesense -send- keyboard and mouse events to Dwarf Fortress? If it could, it could serve as a general graphical wrapper for it.

To summarize about half of this entire thread: 1. yes, it hypothetically could; 2. no, this will not happen.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: August 17, 2010, 01:36:13 am »

I'm currently trying to write my own little utility with DFhack similar to Stonesense and hopefully eventually plug it in, but something that has rather shocked me is that there is practically zero line comments in the Stonesense code! In addition, there is like no documentation on DFhack. Are there any resources/pages I'm missing that can hel pme understand the code framework? Is anyone willing to offer their ear on some programming questions?

Thanks.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: August 17, 2010, 02:00:23 am »

your best bet is studying the DFhack examples. it took me quite a few months be become familiar with the code.

or we could have a chat anytime after 6pm IST

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: August 17, 2010, 02:20:51 am »

your best bet is studying the DFhack examples. it took me quite a few months be become familiar with the code.

or we could have a chat anytime after 6pm IST
Aye I've been browsing over the examples as much as I can, as well as Stonesense. I'm learning, but its as you said, slow. 6pm IST is midnight for me unfortunately. Do you have a preferred email/thread I could ask you specific questions about? I don't think I should be derailing the Stonesense thread with programming talk.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: August 17, 2010, 06:24:53 am »

Ive recently switched from Windows to Ubuntu and managed after some time to get DF work under Wine however Stonesense still refuses to start. Help would be appreciated.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #3803 on: August 17, 2010, 02:02:03 pm »

Stealing money? Please. If anything, you're making DF accessible to people that would never play it otherwise.

Valathil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: August 17, 2010, 03:04:08 pm »

@DJDD Use a IDE with "Go to Definition/Reference" and when you dont know what a function does read its definition that should suffice to get to know the source code in short order.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: August 17, 2010, 04:29:02 pm »

Stealing money? Please. If anything, you're making DF accessible to people that would never play it otherwise.
So you're saying that the distributors of food throughout the world should get all the customers' money whilst the manufacturer gets nothing?

@DJDD Use a IDE with "Go to Definition/Reference" and when you dont know what a function does read its definition that should suffice to get to know the source code in short order.
Aye I use Visual Studio - Its just a real pain trying to understand someone elses code. Luckily Japa has been kind enough to lend a hand outside of the thread to get me started. :)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: August 17, 2010, 05:52:59 pm »

So you're saying that the distributors of food throughout the world should get all the customers' money whilst the manufacturer gets nothing?
That's a terrible analogy.  It's more like distributors are giving away food that they got from Kellogg and telling everyone they give food to: "Kellogg graciously donated this food, please donate to Kellogg."
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: August 17, 2010, 08:05:03 pm »

That's a terrible analogy.  It's more like distributors are giving away food that they got from Kellogg and telling everyone they give food to: "Kellogg graciously donated this food, please donate to Kellogg."
No, thats what Stonesense SHOULD be doing - That message and/or donate button isn't anywhere to be seen on the Stonesense splash screen AFAIK.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: August 17, 2010, 08:16:56 pm »

No, thats what Stonesense SHOULD be doing - That message and/or donate button isn't anywhere to be seen on the Stonesense splash screen AFAIK.

Why should stonesense tell everyone to donate to Kellogg? I'm sure they make enough money already. :P
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: August 17, 2010, 08:31:14 pm »

Good question - I'm all about Weatbix myself.
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 379