Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1692840 times)

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #3810 on: August 18, 2010, 08:55:08 am »

Stealing money? Please. If anything, you're making DF accessible to people that would never play it otherwise.
So you're saying that the distributors of food throughout the world should get all the customers' money whilst the manufacturer gets nothing?
That's a terrible analogy.  It's more like distributors are giving away food that they got from Kellogg and telling everyone they give food to: "Kellogg graciously donated this food, please donate to Kellogg."
No, thats what Stonesense SHOULD be doing - That message and/or donate button isn't anywhere to be seen on the Stonesense splash screen AFAIK.

I think we've made our stand on this clear many times over, but it doesn't hurt to clear the air :)

We are never going to ask for donations, nor are we going to tell people to "go donate to DF because Toady is awesome ^.^". IMHO such a label would seem a little childish, people who play DF knows perfectly well how and where to donate. And if anyone feels it should be made clearer, then I suggest they direct that request to Toady.

You see, the way it works today, Toady's the one who sets the pace for how hard he wants to push donations. I feel it would be in bad taste if we pressured people or even voiced an opinion on the matter.

The Stonesense splash screen will contain credits to the people who contribute to the project, clean and simple.

Cheers guys :)

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: August 18, 2010, 04:20:30 pm »

Yeah I understand where you are coming from, and agree with that. Personally I have a more active stance on it - I would actively place a donation advertisement. But that's my opinion and this isn't my application so I'll stop pushing it and let us get back to the Stonesensing talk.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: August 18, 2010, 06:48:26 pm »

I'm not a lawyer, but I would say that would be a mistake.

The best thing to do, is nothing lol. You're not affiliated with bay12games.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: August 19, 2010, 12:31:19 am »

Good to see you're still around, jonask, busy or not :D

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: August 19, 2010, 03:33:17 am »

Any way to overwrite water appearance based on tile contents? Even something like the snow/mud min/max could be workable (hopefully)...
To be more precise, rivers have flow directions, and tobias did some brook tiles a number of pages back, and I can't seem to find a way to integrate these.

Also, are animated terrain tiles possible? If so what might I be doing wrong?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: August 19, 2010, 03:41:28 am »

animated frames are also pre-emptive for the new release

as for water, that's going in the release after this one.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 03:43:36 am by Japa »

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: August 19, 2010, 03:45:06 am »

I see, thanks. I was getting further ahead of myself than I thought.

Raziel_Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: August 19, 2010, 08:53:48 pm »

A crazy idea. Could Stonesense -send- keyboard and mouse events to Dwarf Fortress? If it could, it could serve as a general graphical wrapper for it.

To summarize about half of this entire thread: 1. yes, it hypothetically could; 2. no, this will not happen.

mouse input = http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62301.0

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: August 20, 2010, 03:35:05 am »

255 pages... Not sure if this question has been answered, but whenever i start stonesence, the GUI window flickers between the welcomeing page and "Connecting to Dwarf Fortress" very quickly.

I checked the log and all it did was repeat
Code: [Select]
No Dwarf Fortress executable found
DFhack exeption: couldn't find a suitable process

Currently I am running the latest DF release, 0.31.12

I am to assume this is the cause, but the OP says it should support it.
Note: Stonesense Slate is only compatible with the 2010 versions of DF, that is 31.x.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:37:55 am by Zenatsu »

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: August 20, 2010, 03:36:23 am »

Good to see you're still around, jonask, busy or not :D

Thanks Retro :) Yeah I'm here heh, and I keep in regular (almost daily) contact with Japa, he's the one who's doing the active development these days you know. So I like to think we're on top of this hehe
Been pretty busy though, but seems like some details are emerging: If all goes well I might be moving to California by the end of the year for a new job. Pretty happy about that. We'll see :)

I'll keep lurking

Edit:
@Zenatsu: Have you checked you have the latest version of the Memory.xml file? The official release of Stonesens Slate is not compatible with 31.12 yet, but you can just drop in an updated Memory.xml to make it compatible. This will be fixed shortly with the new release.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:38:55 am by jonask84 »

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: August 20, 2010, 04:37:43 am »

No, Nor do I know what or where to find said file to update it with. (I know where it is in the stonesense folder, but not where to find an update :/)

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: August 20, 2010, 05:31:00 am »

No, Nor do I know what or where to find said file to update it with. (I know where it is in the stonesense folder, but not where to find an update :/)

You can grab the latest version right here, this is a direct link to whichever Memory.xml file that is at any time in use in the Stonesense project trunk.

I'm going to update the OP with this link too, hopefully save some people some confusion.

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: August 20, 2010, 06:34:12 am »

Success! thanks a lot for the help Jonask!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: August 20, 2010, 06:43:01 am »

That info was also available... just 4 pages back.  FYI
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: August 20, 2010, 07:41:07 am »

That info was also available... just 4 pages back.  FYI

Sure, but it's really my fault. I should have put this in the OP a long time ago.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 379