Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1692070 times)

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread - New version out, 2.1
« Reply #4080 on: September 12, 2010, 07:22:32 am »

I don't really like the current dwarves at the moment. Since the goblins I made turned out fairly ok and I liked those I decided to give a try on dwarves also. Not sure if I will use the automatic hair and skin colours or just use whatever I feel like looks good. Here is a preview of a basic dwarf and how they will probably end up looking. Image is double size and blurred though.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: September 12, 2010, 02:25:03 pm »

Looks human. ???
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: September 12, 2010, 02:38:58 pm »

Yeah he is not short enough. Otherwise he's cool. Good luck separating hair/skin though (since they are colored based on their DF colors) and making all professions in the same quality style.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #4083 on: September 12, 2010, 02:44:35 pm »

Looks pretty good belannaer:) It's cool that people can have alternative graphics sets for Stonesense (as it totally supports it!).

And you don't HAVE to make all the color stuff and the professions, that's just another option :)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: September 12, 2010, 04:30:39 pm »

although, the color stuff is pretty easy to do. take a look at gobbos.xml to get an idea how to do it. (It's the one with the fewest actual sprites)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: September 12, 2010, 06:29:12 pm »

Well I really love the color and profession stuff, it makes it easy to see it on my named dwarves without peeking in everyone's description.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: September 13, 2010, 03:21:11 am »

Well I really love the color and profession stuff, it makes it easy to see it on my named dwarves without peeking in everyone's description.

I like the colors and professions too. It's fairly easy to do them if you use a base body for all of the dwarves. You just need to create a shading overlay for the clothing and then apply it in right colours for all of them. I did this with my goblins and in short time you can have all your dwarves/goblins differentiated by profession colours. This of course makes most of the dwarves look fairly similar but just the clothing colours and other profession related gear makes already wonders. Also Some gear needs a bit adjusting to the base body positions. On the other hand I kinda like that all of them look fairly uniform.

Because I made those goblins earlier I have a lot of useful material already done (not all was used in goblins) that can be applied to the dwarves and it's fairly fast to make them now. I did yesterday 25 professions, with colours and gear, in few hours. You can also double that amount because I made both sexes, although I'm not 100% happy with the female base sprite yet.

Yeah he is not short enough. Otherwise he's cool.

They look quite tall when compared to human sprites for example but size in Stonesense is quite abstract anyways when you compared dwarves to cats and elephants, they are all the same size. Also I'm not overly fond of overstunted dwarves that look like Cartman with beard. I might consider making it a tiny bit (pixel or two) shorter but that also eats those couple of pixel of height that could be used for additional details.

I kinda like the looks of dwarves in the picture below. I have to try clothing that makes their legs look less pants like and thus shorter. (I even made the hats they have!)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And you don't HAVE to make all the color stuff and the professions, that's just another option :)

Yes you (and by you I mean me) have to ;)

although, the color stuff is pretty easy to do. take a look at gobbos.xml to get an idea how to do it. (It's the one with the fewest actual sprites)

I tried taking look at the colour_Dwarves.xml earlier and actually tried with no success for some reason. I'll have to try it again during weekend as it would be great to get those colours automatically. Although I'm not sure whether some colours or any will work with the sprites I have now but it's not that much work to actually separate those skin and hair layers when you have good base models. Then it's just a bit of cut&paste and recoloring to apply them.

I might need to ask some specifics about it from you when I've given some testing on it. Especially on how the shading is done and how the layers work etc.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: September 13, 2010, 05:48:17 am »

I actually wrote a little tutorial here, that shows the various options. it's very slightly outdated now, but still useful.

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: September 13, 2010, 06:24:35 am »

I actually wrote a little tutorial here, that shows the various options. it's very slightly outdated now, but still useful.

It looks nice. I have already some ideas what to do with it, although I'll probably still want to colour a lot of stuff by hand unless I get enough brightness variation and stuff with it.

As a sidenote I just read all 274 pages of the topic for inspiration...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: September 13, 2010, 07:03:24 am »

yeah, in order to have more brightness variation, you need a second layer on top containing the highlights, as the color blending is done by multiplying, which means that white becomes the blend color, black stays black, and everything in between is in between.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: September 13, 2010, 07:06:10 am »

Yeah he is not short enough. Otherwise he's cool.

They look quite tall when compared to human sprites for example but size in Stonesense is quite abstract anyways when you compared dwarves to cats and elephants, they are all the same size. Also I'm not overly fond of overstunted dwarves that look like Cartman with beard. I might consider making it a tiny bit (pixel or two) shorter but that also eats those couple of pixel of height that could be used for additional details.

Forgive this total idiot from pitching in with a most probably inane and useless suggestion, but since size is relative anyways, would it be possible to add a few pixels to their width and achieve the same effect as removing some from their height?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: September 13, 2010, 07:08:59 am »

sprites pretty much have to fit within a 32x32px box. there are ways around it, but it's better not to, as it can cause things to look weird.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: September 13, 2010, 07:39:01 am »

How can you make stonesense show multiple levels instead of just 4?.I wish to view my fortress in all its glory.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: September 13, 2010, 07:42:06 am »

I'm at school so I can't find exactly what it's called, but there is a setting in stonesense's init that lets you change how many tiles are displayed on the x and y axis and another that changes z.  You just change that z to a larger number.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #4094 on: September 13, 2010, 07:50:41 am »

Height of the rendered segment can be adjusted runtime too, with the '1' and '2' keys on your keyboard.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 379