Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1692040 times)

cooz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2009, 01:00:30 pm »

I have made three simple mockups solving problem with dificult recognition of edges.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Could you add 1px wide black (or dark blue) border to those?

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2009, 01:00:51 pm »

Maybe at some point key bind to toggle full/half walls height would be solution for that.

THIS. Or what I would really love, but is apparently exceedingly hard to do, is a toggle that only makes the foreground walls half height a la The Sims.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2009, 01:03:42 pm »

I have made three simple mockups solving problem with dificult recognition of edges.

Not sure what to border...
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Goinstadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 01:25:22 pm »

This is great.  I'd just like to emphasize some of the requests so far:

Rotation Keys
Larger Rendered Area
Render Map w/ Mouse Functionality

I also like the half wall bit that cooz posted.
Dwarf Fortress is Minesweeper with attitude.  In both games you are uncovering squares and just waiting for it to blow up in your face.  At least in DF you have tiny bearded and smiling avatars to torture on your descent to fun.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 02:19:18 pm »

I love this, I agree with adding the things above, and maybe could you give us the ability to have the screen auto refresh.
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 02:39:09 pm »

I'd just add a subtle border to each tile's top left and top right edges. Just darken the pixels on those edges and it should cause the eye to differentiate a wall tile from an adjacent floor tile. Either that or just darken all floor tiles so they don't 'match' and your eye can tell them apart.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2009, 03:04:17 pm »

Didn't mean to infringe on the name when I proposed it; [...]
I do like the sound of it too. Do you have an issue with sharing the name, since both are already taken by TSR/Forgotten Realms? :P

I can deal with sharing the name, though it does make me a bit uncomfortable.  It's a source of confusion, and means I need to monitor more forum threads that aren't related to my own work.  I'll deal with it.

cooz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 03:24:30 pm »

Not sure what to border...

I meant that 3 pixels wide borders you made are too thick IMHO, and 1px would be more than enough.

Just wanted to see it, without doing it in PS by myself.

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2009, 04:42:31 pm »

Just want to chime in that this is awesome. Whoever's in charge should make a post in DF General discussion with a link to this thread--the other visualizers all have their own threads there.

Also, whoever's in charge should send a non-threatening email to Toady to let him know that this kind of graphics is quite possible, and already works(!!!), with DF. Also let him know that since this is BSD licensed, he does not have to worry at all about any copyright issues. It might convince him to add some helper functions to the main executable so this graphics library could be used as part of an official future release. He seems willing enough to accept graphics help (see DF 40D##).

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2009, 05:18:42 pm »

Ahem.
This one is a bit too good. Please decrease the quality a bit. ;)))

Seriously though, I can't wait till it supports projections other than isometric :) This will be a wonderful testing tool for an actual in-game display.
<3

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2009, 05:40:10 pm »

Is there any support planned for texture transparency and colorizing?  Also, this is probably more of a general DFHack question, but what's going to be done in the next version when the basic MATGLOSS types (wood, metal, stone, etc.) no longer exist?  There'll still be helper tags like [WOOD] in the material definitions, but they won't be indexed on a predictable basis.
Well... what will happen:
I or someone else will have to fire up a debugger/disassembler and find out how things work. I bet there will be some 'materials' vector and a second 'material types' one. Actually, this will make it easier for me, because it will be much more consistent than the current way of doing things (multiple material vectors). Maybe.
Second possibility is that there will be an extra 'custom' material type and all the old ones will remain (almost) the same.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2009, 05:48:45 pm »

And I'll be happy to help out with that process, peterix. The more info we can get out, the better imo.

So, I've been making some upgrades to the user interface today. Trying to listen to the feedback and critique I've made some adjustments and some improvements.

This picture showcases two of the new features. First in an option for filling hidden areas with black to remove some underground clutter. Secondly you can see some gray borders, hopefully making it easier to tell z-levels apart.

Also some other features have been added. It's looking good :)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2009, 05:52:10 pm »

Awesome. Pure awesome!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2009, 06:09:21 pm »

Alright, Windows 7 and Windows Vista will revert to basic display for some programs, has anyone tried this with Vista? I'm gonna do it later with my vista comp.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2009, 06:18:04 pm »

Hmm, looks interesting. I may need to try this out tonight.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 379