Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698819 times)

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread - New Version Out Now!
« Reply #3150 on: May 11, 2010, 03:41:31 am »

OK, Q&A time.

I want to take world map

No.

"No" as "not doable" or "not intended"?

Thanks for all those answers!
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #3151 on: May 11, 2010, 03:45:37 am »

OK, Q&A time.

I want to take world map

No.

"No" as "not doable" or "not intended"?

Thanks for all those answers!

What is essential to understand here, is that the world does not yet exist. Only general information about each map 'square' is known. The exact layout of each square is generated on embark. SO if you've only embarked once on a 3x3 grid, your entire world is only 9 squares big.

Toady does this, naturally, because it would be impossible to simulate each and every tile, tree, creek etc in the entire world at once.

I understand entirely! lol,  it's not like it's actually important!

I think the fact that 3D visualisers havn't been released for 2010 yet increases the desirability to see the whole map.
Hehe yeah I agree. Of course, the 3D visualizers are really neat for that. Stonesense tries to be more of a live thing. But we will put some work into this, since it's a nice feature to have.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:47:37 am by jonask84 »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: May 11, 2010, 04:11:11 am »

What is essential to understand here, is that the world does not yet exist. Only general information about each map 'square' is known. The exact layout of each square is generated on embark. SO if you've only embarked once on a 3x3 grid, your entire world is only 9 squares big.

Toady does this, naturally, because it would be impossible to simulate each and every tile, tree, creek etc in the entire world at once.

I'm wondering if that's what he was asking the first place. Take a world map and render it as a single-layer map in Stonesense with each isometric tile representing a map tile, just to get a better look at a general representation of the world from a distance. So a 50x50 world (38400x38400 game tiles) would show up as a 50x50 map purely based off of the tile types see in the world map (ie. mountains of various types, lakes, grasslands, hills, marshes, etc).

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: May 11, 2010, 04:48:51 am »

I want to take world map

so, in theory, someone could make an utility that force DF to embark on every tile of world and then take map screenshot, and at the end stick them together, right?

Pheeeew, it would be truely time consuming dwarfy!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: May 11, 2010, 05:27:59 am »

Quote from: jonask84 on Today at 03:45:37 am

Quote from: Petr Ga on Today at 02:32:41 am

I want to take world map

so, in theory, someone could make an utility that force DF to embark on every tile of world and then take map screenshot, and at the end stick them together, right?

Academically, how can that be the case in light of adventure mode? Also, if you embark, don't save and re embark, you get the exact same area each time. Even if you embark in an overlapping area slightly to the left, it seems like the same area. Thus am I missing something or...?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: May 11, 2010, 05:32:35 am »

Dwarf fortress generates the map squares from scratch every time.

thing is, the way it does it, it will always result in the same square for each location.

This is a good explanation for how it works. it's for a different one-man game, but it's still relavent

KernelM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: May 11, 2010, 06:05:21 am »

As for making the rest of the stuff asynch, like I said, I
m a noob programmer that doesn't know how to do mystical threading voodoo ;)

Heh, I thought that too until a few months ago when I found a tutorial about threading. I ended up creating some very simple (and very basic) classes to handle threading in windows in c++. Can't seem to find the tutorial again at the moment.
You can find them here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/blockplanet/files/Tests/ in threads.zip if you're interested. :).
Also included is a simple test program. Written in MS Visual Studio so you might need to change some bits depending on what you use.

Dunno if they'll help.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: May 11, 2010, 06:08:46 am »

Quote from: jonask84 on Today at 03:45:37 am

Quote from: Petr Ga on Today at 02:32:41 am

I want to take world map

Academically, how can that be the case in light of adventure mode? Also, if you embark, don't save and re embark, you get the exact same area each time. Even if you embark in an overlapping area slightly to the left, it seems like the same area. Thus am I missing something or...?

Good point!
Stonesense works in adventure mode. So, if I force make my adventurer travel from stonesense/some tool, i can make world map.

any catch here?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: May 11, 2010, 06:25:07 am »

The heights in World map?

I mean, one tile per region, sooo... dunno. Maybe tall towers of single rock type representing a mountain or something? xP

Go science~!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3159 on: May 11, 2010, 06:27:46 am »

I'll tell you what would really be useful... a filterable stonesense overlay of the world map which lets you search for certain stones/soil/levels of vegetation/terrain etc

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: May 11, 2010, 08:54:28 am »

about revision 791:

ANY/DIRECTX/OPENGL - screenshots are not working.
Normal screenshot makes file like 1,8KB small, black image
Large screenshot gives this: "Failed to take large screenshot. try using software mode"

anyway, great job. it is funny to watch maximalization of ss:  directx stretch image, then correct it , opengl stretch just window and image is the sam with black around.

directx has some issue with font after resizing to max. somewhat unreadable

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: May 11, 2010, 09:08:50 am »

@screenshots: fixed in revision 792;

@large screenshots: that error comes when your videocard does no have the required ram for a large screenshot. try again with software rendering. (don't worry, it'll be reasonably quick);

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: May 11, 2010, 09:30:13 am »

@screenshots: fixed in revision 792;

I'll try

@large screenshots: that error comes when your videocard does no have the required ram for a large screenshot. try again with software rendering. (don't worry, it'll be reasonably quick);

is there other way than edit init.txt? You know, something like ogre3d dialog "choose renderer"

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: May 11, 2010, 09:35:30 am »

it's doable, but it could get annoying quickly.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: May 12, 2010, 10:53:46 am »

latest build 795 flicks when trying to display df map.
it connects to df but when map should appear, i see very shortly blue color and then again "connecting to df" and again blue color and so on

log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 379