Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1693191 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stonesense - Official thread - New version out, june 7th
« Reply #3300 on: June 11, 2010, 08:25:07 am »

stonesense doesn't seem to work with .06...
HERP DERP GUYS I DIDN'T READ THE THREAD WHY IT NO WORK DERP

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #3301 on: June 11, 2010, 09:32:41 am »

Not the official release yet. I'm in the process of fixing that tho. But tonight I'm getting hammered, so maybe tomorrow :)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: June 11, 2010, 09:53:58 am »

...and if DF has taught us anything, if you don't meet your self-imposed programming mandate tomorrow, you'll get hammered again. But with a warhammer. The same amount of wobbliness and unconsciousness may ensue, but it'd be due to the ensuing concussion.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3303 on: June 11, 2010, 09:54:53 am »

Of course .07 will probably be out soon so he may as well wait.

toryoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: June 11, 2010, 05:08:24 pm »

I'm sorry if I sound cocky, but I doesnt seem to understand this attitude against the better interface. Come on, we are in the year 2010, i think that graphic design and particulary the design of information has become a such an important thing in gaming and control is one of most crucial things in citybuilding simulations.

I grew up playing pharaoh and ceasar and anyone whos been playing it can say, how much in the terms of immersive gameplay it helps to have a nice looking ui with streamlined information.

I think that DF now spans so many functions that it just cannot be ignored anymore, just remember the "crisis" that happened after the new military system/interface (ive been working as a designer for about 6 years and I never seen such a mess) become relevant, for how many veteran players it was utterly impenetrable.

As to the issue of memory hacking, i dont mean to sound like no heretic, but is it really that big of a deal? You say that "it has nothing to do with making the game more playable in its widest sense." Im sorry, but that seems to be straight wrong with me. I think that one of the strongest points of gaming is control, and i think everyone agrees that the todays system of UI (you have to memorize everything, if you want anything at all, its not intuitive, it doesnt help newcomers to get into the game) isnt the best thing.

I have to say, I completely agree and I've gotten the glint that a lot of others who love the idea of DF but are frustrated with the system do too. ...The "it's in alpha release" argument doesn't hold water forever either ...not with the game's systems getting more and more complex to justify the need for a cleaner, easier to utilize interface. Plus, while I fully understand WHY it is this way --and respect that reason, overall,  this is a game that's going to be in alpha for a hundred years. Let's just not even mince words about that fact.  It's more a "project car" for the joy of tinkering rather than a game that has any hope of a fully functional release anytime soon. ...And with every release making all the details of the game more and more detailed, it gets to a point where it seems as if the putting off of at least cursory organization of the interface systems, in favor of all the 'tinkering mathy' stuff, is a personal preference on Toady's part that --while it's his right as the creator of the game, and no one can or should hassle him about it-- isn't as logical as it appeared to be the million years ago he first made the point.  ...More than that I will not say, because I realize the expansion of this sort of discussion is not for this thread, but I just wanted to give my direct 2¢ to this post.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: June 11, 2010, 07:51:51 pm »

While reorganizing my WIP Graphics folder, I found an old concept. The idea, without regard for what is currently possible with DFHack, was for icons that would display over units (perhaps while holding down a button, or whatnot), that described any status effects they might have:

Row 1: Happiness Icons (Ecstatic, Happy, Quite Content, Fine, Unhappy, Very Unhappy, and Miserable)
Row 2: Thirsty, Hungry, Stunned, Paralyzed, On Fire, Drowning, and Webbed
Row 3: Minor Injury, Major Injury, Asleep, Unconscious, and Moods (Melencholy, Strange, and Berserk)

I also found a few colorized stone tiles, which are redundant now... but the pallets might be worth borrowing for the automatic tile colorization. Also, there were a few alternate Stone textures I want to touch up prior to posting.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3306 on: June 11, 2010, 11:10:11 pm »

Your opinion is noted, even if this is the wrong place to share it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: June 12, 2010, 02:44:30 am »

what are you talking about?

this is the perfect place to share it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3308 on: June 12, 2010, 02:53:05 am »

what are you talking about?

this is the perfect place to share it.
Sorry, I was reponding to toryoom's rant over the alpha status of DF. Stonesense thread isn't the right place to chat about people being dissatisfied with toady's methods.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: June 12, 2010, 04:55:49 am »

Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: June 12, 2010, 05:49:24 am »

While reorganizing my WIP Graphics folder, I found an old concept. The idea, without regard for what is currently possible with DFHack, was for icons that would display over units (perhaps while holding down a button, or whatnot), that described any status effects they might have:

Row 1: Happiness Icons (Ecstatic, Happy, Quite Content, Fine, Unhappy, Very Unhappy, and Miserable)
Row 2: Thirsty, Hungry, Stunned, Paralyzed, On Fire, Drowning, and Webbed
Row 3: Minor Injury, Major Injury, Asleep, Unconscious, and Moods (Melencholy, Strange, and Berserk)

I also found a few colorized stone tiles, which are redundant now... but the pallets might be worth borrowing for the automatic tile colorization. Also, there were a few alternate Stone textures I want to touch up prior to posting.

like this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't show all of them yet, but happiness, sleeping, resting, and moods are doable.
unfortunately, I don't actually know which mood is what, so I can't set specific icons for specific moods till I see em, so if anybody has a save with a mood in progress, that'd be great.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: June 12, 2010, 06:06:19 am »

Oh no, someone on the internet thinks I'm a retard.
Anyway, I have been reading the thread since I found out about stonesense, missed the one page with the fix and then wondered why no one was talking about it on the page I read. Admittedly I could have said more than what you pointed out sounded like herp derp xD.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3312 on: June 12, 2010, 06:08:06 am »

Anyway, I have been reading the thread since I found out about stonesense, missed the one page with the fix and then wondered why no one was talking about it on the page I read. Admittedly I could have said more than what you pointed out sounded like herp derp xD.
I only said that because it was one page back. :P I don't think you're a retard.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: June 12, 2010, 06:19:24 am »

I only said that because it was one page back. :P I don't think you're a retard.
I'm a bit embarrassed I missed it really, I was a bit ticked off that when I redownloaded df.05 to drag and drop my save game to be viewed on stonesense, I couldn't do it, the game kept crashing during worldgen. :S I wasn't in the mood to trawl the thread.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3314 on: June 12, 2010, 06:24:01 am »

I am also highly amused with each release at how many people either:

A. Grab the legacy version and are astounded that it doesn't work with things like DFG's transparent textures.
B. Hit the thread immediately and ask why it won't work/when will it work.
C. HERP DERP

Really, its fascinating... especially when the answer is usually just a few posts back or can be found on the wiki or by doing a teeny bit of searching.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 379