Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1685558 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #3735 on: August 09, 2010, 04:26:33 pm »

If only you could play the game in this mode without the tiresome swapping back and forth,i currently only use this to view my fortress now and then in all its glory.
Do what I do - use two monitors.

FinalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: August 10, 2010, 09:43:15 am »

What's the compatibility with adventurer mode like these days?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: August 10, 2010, 09:45:15 am »

full I believe....Stonesense does not/can not tell the difference from the 2 as far as I know. I know I have played using it as my main window since there are a lot less menus to go through most the time...seemed to work well.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: August 10, 2010, 09:47:47 am »

Seems to work fine when I use it.  Though it does get a little wonky sometimes if you go between sites, but it seems to recover more or less fine most of the time afterward, and you may wanna hit H unless you want stonesense to be limited by what you can actually see.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: August 10, 2010, 09:47:34 pm »

Everytime I try to use Stonesense the screen just keeps flashing after I hit F9. I tried looking for around and can't figure out why it is doing this or how to fix it. I'm running the most recent version of DF and downloaded the most recent version of StoneSense.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: August 10, 2010, 10:03:19 pm »

did you update the memory.xml? if not, you need to do that. or yo can look up the lazy newb pack, which includes it.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: August 10, 2010, 10:14:41 pm »

I think the developers should have this brought to their attention. From the "What turns you off about DF?" thread:

3. The 2D view. If you could play from the Stonesense window it would have been awesome.

I'm starting to get the impression that there may be a large number of people out there who think that Stonesense is made by Toady, or something. That's probably not helped by the Lazy Newb Pack. I'm not saying that this is the dev's fault, or that it's the LNP's fault, or that the LNP is bad or anything - It's just that this is occurring.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: August 10, 2010, 10:40:57 pm »

did you update the memory.xml? if not, you need to do that. or yo can look up the lazy newb pack, which includes it.

Oh. How exactly do you do that?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: August 10, 2010, 11:45:37 pm »

I think the developers should have this brought to their attention. From the "What turns you off about DF?" thread:

3. The 2D view. If you could play from the Stonesense window it would have been awesome.

I'm starting to get the impression that there may be a large number of people out there who think that Stonesense is made by Toady, or something. That's probably not helped by the Lazy Newb Pack. I'm not saying that this is the dev's fault, or that it's the LNP's fault, or that the LNP is bad or anything - It's just that this is occurring.

This has been a problem of sorts from the start of graphic packs...let alone visualizers....and its not so much a problem as it is misinformation and people not paying attention. For now it will be fine....when money starts getting diverted from toady...then we have an issue

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: August 10, 2010, 11:53:10 pm »

Oh. How exactly do you do that?
First you search this thread for memory.xml ... then you read.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: August 11, 2010, 05:09:23 am »

Was studying some old jRPGs, and I decided to broach the subject of water display models. We're currently using model a) (Alpha Blending), but I'm not terribly happy with it, and I've been brainstorming alternatives that don't create weird edge transparency artifacts. I'm partial to model d) myself, but the reflections would require a bit of programming magic to render, including palette-swapping, and a V-shaped skew. Reflected trees and such would look really sharp on a riverbank, but since it only shows what's above the water rather than what's below it, it doesn't work so well for figuring out underwater constructions. Model b) is also pretty sharp, and is close to the existing code, which is a plus.

I suppose that when the camera was above the water surface, it could display as the reflective model d), but when it went under the surface it could switch to a model b) and show the aquatic landscape. Might be more hassle than it's worth, though. I'll need to think some more on this.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: August 11, 2010, 05:47:50 am »

Reflective water looks cool in a way, but I think ultimately it'll just increase the Escher factor and make things look more confusing.

Water transparency is important, IMHO.  One of Stonesense's strengths is that it lets you see multiple Z-levels at once, and that should hold true underwater as well.

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: August 11, 2010, 08:54:38 am »

I like the idea of b) with d) as the Shiney Overlay. Although without the pallette swap for d)

Also d) looks as to make some awesome smooth Ice floors.

EDIT: and I eagerly await the new release
Spoiler: trying out new looks (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:58:42 am by Dark_Tundra »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: August 11, 2010, 11:33:03 am »

The Palette Swap is done instead of doing any layer transparency. You create the illusion of transparency by displaying the submerged sprites over the water with some alpha transparency, but under the terrain, using a blue darker than the water. The same technique can be used to make colored glass or ice appear semi-transparent.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: August 11, 2010, 11:35:24 am »

while pallette swaps are kinda tricky, tinting would probably work just as well.

And Dark_Tundra, that's way cool.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 379