Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696542 times)

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #4845 on: March 10, 2011, 01:53:54 pm »

[spoiler]

I know I'm repeating myself, but the trees here are very hard to see, especially the willows. There really needs to be more distinction between the trees and the grass.

I'm not whining! I'm providing criticism!  :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:56:47 pm by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: March 10, 2011, 01:56:54 pm »

I completely agree with you, which is why the next release won't have the trees, or the grass.

those won't become official till they look satisfactory.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: March 10, 2011, 02:55:36 pm »

I am thinking of doing my own set of trees as a form of healthy competition  ;)
Well, to be honest, I don't expect myself doing more than two or three before losing interest - but I could use some little things to do to break the monotony of a diploma thesis writing. I'm doing it mostly for myself.

Anyway, here are rough and ugly mock-ups, and I have some questions.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The trees are ugly because I spent like a minute for each, it's just to test the proportions. The big ones are 3x3x3 (massive trees like oaks), the middle 2x2x3 (thin but high trees like birches), the small ones 2x2x2 (smallish but stocky trees like willows). My rough guideline is 1 Z-level for ~10 meters of height.

The question is: is this doable, or even wanted? Japa, I know you've said that even sizes are best but is there anything preventing odd sizes? And is there any specific format to prepare the trees in? I've noticed Dark Tundra's sprites are chopped into many small parts. What's the logic behind that? And is it possible to draw the whole tree first and chop it later?

EDIT: Also, if the forest is thick, not much of the ground would be seen. But I expect that a "hide treetops" command would be very easy to implement.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:59:20 pm by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: March 10, 2011, 06:24:33 pm »

The trees are made of blocks.
Each block must fit in a cube the same as any other stonesense tile.
If the trees were all one picture, intersecting buildings would not be able to "cut off the branches that are in the way", treetops would appear to stick out at odd angles should a floor cover them, and all floor/wall tiles drawn after the tree would be drawn over the top.(I believe stonesense draws top to right, moving towards the bottom left, then stacking levels.)
The trunk is a single tile, all other parts fit around that. Though you can half fill a tile on either side so the tree is only 2 wide/deep, it would actually use 3 wide/deep tiles.
Trees should be in .png arrangement can be defined in xml.

I drew mine and chopped later. It's a lot more work to fill in the parts that are only seen as layers are chopped.

If it helps, here are the trees without leaves, if you want them as a starting point or guide, go for it.
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)

I hope someone can get through all the trees, I focused so much on how they looked on their own that I forgot to check how it looked in stonesense. Now I'll probably have to start over with most of them.

EDIT:Oh, and on the hide treetops thing, I believe the treetops are cut off the same as any constuction once you move the view lower than the top. (another reason why they are sliced up into cube volumes)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 06:26:45 pm by Dark_Tundra »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4849 on: March 10, 2011, 09:00:50 pm »

I completely agree with you, which is why the next release won't have the trees, or the grass.

those won't become official till they look satisfactory.

That's okay...

Except the grass look satisfactory to me. Some people say they don't like the grass, but that's just honestly what it looks like in real-life.
So I don't know what I'm supossed to do now, do people want the multiple options, do people want the grass to be the same sprite over and over, do people just want the old grass?

I can't make 'satisfactory' grass if I can't get proper feedback.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: March 10, 2011, 09:11:02 pm »

I love the grass.  If Stonesense isn't released with the pretty grass, well I... I'll....

Keep using the grass I downloaded off the SVN ;)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: March 10, 2011, 09:15:02 pm »

I love the new grass also! I think the trees stand out fine to me aswell.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: March 10, 2011, 09:48:25 pm »

That's okay...

Except the grass look satisfactory to me. Some people say they don't like the grass, but that's just honestly what it looks like in real-life.
So I don't know what I'm supossed to do now, do people want the multiple options, do people want the grass to be the same sprite over and over, do people just want the old grass?

I can't make 'satisfactory' grass if I can't get proper feedback.

My feedback is that the grass and flowers would look better if each individual sprite was sparser.  They're so dense that they blot out everything else.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: March 10, 2011, 10:29:36 pm »

The problem with the grass right now is that it's the same size as the trees, otherwise it looks great.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: March 11, 2011, 07:38:20 am »

Thanks for the tree explanation, Dark_Tundra.

And here's a question to Japa: I understand the logic behind cutting the trees to cubes. My problem is that drawing it quadruples the work and doesn't sound much fun. I'd rather draw simple 2D sprites first and make cubes only when everything is done. So would it be possible to have the trees as simple 2D posters (ie. in one piece) and have them display in Stonesense - even if it means some glitches? Bear in mind I'm still doing it for fun, not for the official release, and people who wouldn't mind the glitches could download the pack themselves.

Or more specifically - have one 1x1x1 tile as the stump/trunk of the tree, and then everything else as one big (say 3x3x3) sprite on top of the trunk? (This way it would be possible not to show the treetops at ground level).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It doesn't look that bad. The only problem is when there is a floor directly above the tree - see the right rampart. A simple solution would be using a 1x1x1 sprite in these cases (see the left rampart) or simply use the 1x1x1 trunk (not pictured).

I'm not requesting you to code anything more just for myself. I'm trying to make some trees as simply as possible and would like to know what's doable.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: March 11, 2011, 07:43:10 am »

it actually is possible, but requires a little XML trickery.

stonesense can only load 32x32 sprites for the trees, but you can load more than one of them, and each layer can be shifted an arbitrary amount in the X and Y directions.

you see what I'm going at?

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: March 11, 2011, 07:50:19 am »

I guess... I simply cut the 3x3x3 tree to several cubes as needed, not drawing anything new? Sounds much easier than drawing 27 separate cubes and drawing the non-visible parts.

I'll try experimenting with it. I'd still love to have proper 27 cube trees someday but ouch, the work!
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: March 11, 2011, 08:21:30 am »

nah, don't think of it as a block of cubes

think of it as a bunch of squares.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: March 11, 2011, 08:32:49 am »

The internet is a series of tubes....

sorry...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: March 11, 2011, 08:43:10 am »

nah, don't think of it as a block of cubes

think of it as a bunch of squares.

Yes, that's the way I understand it. I just chose wrong words. Thanks, anyway!
Now off to work!
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 379