Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696517 times)

Vaugher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread - Now 31.21 compatible
« Reply #5085 on: June 17, 2011, 04:57:05 pm »

I've noticed on various images that the constructed walls look like clean-cut bricks. On my stonesense, however, even walls made out of blocks looks kinda chunky and rough. I'd like to get that clean-cut look. Is there any way to do this?
Also, those pictures that have metal-looking fences. They can't be wall grates since grates don't have corner pieces, so what are they?

Edit: I found the GrimDark pack on the content repository, but I can't seem to get it to work. I follow the instructions, and Stonesense continues to run fine. I don't get any errors. But nothing is changed, I don't get any of the new graphics.

Edit 2: Alright, I got it to work but noticed that a large amount of stones (namely all the stone in the sedimentary layer...) don't seem to be supported by it and still use the old graphics. Is there any way for me to create/modify entries to get these stones to use the new graphics? If there is no simple way to do this, then I guess my question goes back to the original question, "where'd those clean cut bricks come from?"
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 07:32:50 pm by Vaugher »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: June 17, 2011, 07:53:50 pm »

Couldn't tell you why your constructed walls don't look like everyone elses.  Possibly you don't have a current spritepack.  But that's just a shot in the dark.

The metal looking fences are probably vertical bars (different from grates as they are constructed straight from metal bars) all metals are the same color in the default pack I believe because they lack the tag stuff to make them read materiel color.

As for changing a sprite you would go into the terrain folder in the stonesense folder and modify the xml files.  (right click>open with>notepad or word or what have you)  Unfortunately I'm not very good at modifying them at this point, I can do creature sprites (barely, there's a reason why my dracon thing on the content repository doesn't take advantage of skin coloration) and a couple buildings but I haven't messed with terrain.

It looks to me like the Block_walls.xml file would be the one you want to modify, but I couldn't tell you exactly what offhand to get what you want to happen since I'm also not familiar with GrimDark. This might help point you in the right direction of figuring out the xml files, but that's really the best I can do.  Hopefully somebody with more specific knowledge will chime in soon.

EDIT: I keep feeling bad about not being to help more with that when it shouldn't be all that different, but I just keep looking at those terrain xmls and draw a blank.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:03:49 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vaugher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: June 17, 2011, 08:14:11 pm »

Yea, it's all a little beyond me. I have no idea why I don't get the nice bricks, either... Just some more info, I'm using the Lazy Newb Pack. If I try re-downloading a copy of stonesense from this thread, it wont work. Only the one in LNP works, but that says that it is version 2.3 anyway...

Regardless, I have no idea how Grimdark works, and so I have no idea how to convert other stone types to use its graphics. If someone could help out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:00:35 pm by Vaugher »

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: June 17, 2011, 10:12:03 pm »

I'd like to get that clean-cut look. Is there any way to do this?
Boulder walls and block walls are differentiated now.
Have your mason make blocks at the masonry, rather than stacking boulders to make walls.

Also, those pictures that have metal-looking fences. They can't be wall grates since grates don't have corner pieces, so what are they?
Things dont have to have corner pieces in DF to have corners in stonesense.
They are Vertical Bars; constructed with, well, bars.

Edit 2: Alright, I got it to work but noticed that a large amount of stones (namely all the stone in the sedimentary layer...) don't seem to be supported by it and still use the old graphics. Is there any way for me to create/modify entries to get these stones to use the new graphics? If there is no simple way to do this, then I guess my question goes back to the original question, "where'd those clean cut bricks come from?"
If a pack doesn't change something, it is usually because it isn't finished yet.
Otherwise, the xml file that references the spritesheet you want to use, can be modified to encompass more. I think you can simply add the names of stones to one of the lists, assuming the pack has a different sprite for each stone type.

If I try re-downloading a copy of stonesense from this thread, it wont work.
Stonesense uses DFhack so that there doesn't have to be a new release for every of Toady's bugfixes.
In the OP there is a link to an .xml file, I beleive under "If this doesn't work" or somesuch, download that and overwrite the one included with stonesense to update it.

Vaugher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: June 17, 2011, 10:26:51 pm »

Boulder walls and block walls are differentiated now.
Have your mason make blocks at the masonry, rather than stacking boulders to make walls.

I understand that they're supposed to be differentiated, but they both seem to use the same sprite model for me. I have the latest Stonesense.

If a pack doesn't change something, it is usually because it isn't finished yet.
Otherwise, the xml file that references the spritesheet you want to use, can be modified to encompass more. I think you can simply add the names of stones to one of the lists, assuming the pack has a different sprite for each stone type.

The pack is not finished, that is true. It hasn't been updated since January, either. However, I have no experience whatsoever and have no idea how to start adding new stones to the pack. From what I can gather, a unique image is used for every kind of wall for every stone type. I do not mind re-using these resources so long as I can figure out how to make new entries to use them.

Stonesense uses DFhack so that there doesn't have to be a new release for every of Toady's bugfixes.
In the OP there is a link to an .xml file, I beleive under "If this doesn't work" or somesuch, download that and overwrite the one included with stonesense to update it.

That explains why a fresh copy wasn't working, but I have the latest copy of Stonesense anyway.

Edit: I seem to have figured out how to apply the graphics to other stones. What I can't figure out is how to use the ramps... The guy who made the pack made all the sprites for ramps but never applied them, so I have nothing to base this off of.

Edit 2: Ah, the whole thing is a bit of a bust. It always ends up kinda messy and only semi-functional. And all I wanted were clean cut bricks...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:36:44 pm by Vaugher »

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: June 17, 2011, 11:06:18 pm »

If I try re-downloading a copy of stonesense from this thread, it wont work.
That explains why a fresh copy wasn't working, but I have the latest copy of Stonesense anyway.
The latest copy of Stonesense right now, as you can see here, is Stonesense Version 2.3, which was uploaded on March 15. That was before DF v0.31.25 was released. In order to be fully updated, Stonesense version 2.3 still needs a Memory.xml file that is more recent than what came in that download. Hence the suggestion to get that file from the link in the OP. (Though, to be honest, the Memory.xml I use is from the DFHack package, since that's always the most recent version.)

It amazes me how many users and would-be users fail to read the OP. With so many players overlooking that and posting here about this problem, and Japa working on a new version, I wonder if the new version will have an of automatic update feature to auto-download Memory.xml from Google Code, similar to what Dwarf Therapist does now? Though, personally, I'd prefer it if Stonesense did not do that. I'd rather install Memory.xml manually to avoid having any more programs on my PC connect to the Internet.

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: June 17, 2011, 11:19:33 pm »

Okay, I've downloaded the pack, and had a look.

If for example you wanted to have sandstone share a tile with Diorite.
In the "Grim Dark" folder, SSGD_igneous_intrusive.xml contains 3 parts that say "<subtype value="DIORITE"/>".
Directly after those you can add "<subtype value="SANDSTONE"/>".

If you turn on Debug Mode for stonesense, by changing "[DEBUGMODE:NO]" to "[DEBUGMODE:YES]" in the init.txt file within the stonesense directory, a tile you select in df, with "k" for example, will have info in the bottom left corner of stonesense. Most of the time, the ID name is the same as ingame, barring being all capitals, otherwise you can see here what you need to add to <subtype value=""> to get it to include this.

I don't have a list of sedementary stones on hand, unfortunately, so you will have to type them all out; unless someone else has them.

---

On block walls, I haven't found any entries describing them in grimdark, you can make your own entry though.

Here are settings for stone block walls pulled from my own inprogress (unreleased) pack.
Code: [Select]
<block sprite="0">
      <terrain value="495"/>
      <terrain value="496"/>
      <terrain value="497"/>
      <terrain value="498"/>
      <terrain value="499"/>
      <terrain value="500"/>
      <terrain value="501"/>
      <terrain value="502"/>
      <terrain value="503"/>
      <terrain value="504"/>
      <terrain value="505"/>
      <terrain value="506"/>
      <terrain value="507"/>
      <terrain value="508"/>
      <terrain value="509"/>
      <terrain value="510"/>
      <terrain value="511"/>
      <terrain value="512"/>
      <terrain value="513"/>
      <terrain value="514"/>
      <form value="block" />
      <material value="Inorganic" />
   </block>
Change the sprite on the first line to the image you want.
If you want different pictures for different stones, make multiple copies with <subtype value=""/>'s.
If you want it tinted to the colour of the stone, use a gray/white stone, and add color="material" next to sprite="".
Numbers for the sprites start at 0 on the first line 20 on the second line and so on, regardless of how wide the spritesheet is.

---

I think I've covered everything, let me know if i missed anything.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Also @ japa, if you can add so doors are considered walls in border_wall_NOR, border_open_NOR and the like, It would be appreciated(If you have the time).

Vaugher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: June 17, 2011, 11:41:01 pm »

Thank you for the help, Tundra. I got most of it down already, actually. Although I wasn't sure how to tint the rocks, which you just spelled out for me. Managed to convert some stone types. It's all a bit of a mess, though, since the pack was so unfinished to begin with. I tried working in some of the ramps, and they worked, but then other parts stopped working. I'll keep trying, though.

Also, Thunder, the problem is not that stonesense is not working for me. I know all about how to make it work, and have had it working since before I posted. On the latest version, too. The problem was me wanting to change sprites.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:45:46 pm by Vaugher »

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: June 18, 2011, 12:01:47 am »

Things I've learned from mistakes that stopped parts working;
Ramps need to be in <blocks><block></block></blocks> like blocks, floors need to be in <floors><floor></floor></floors>,
All xml tags need to be closed or it will invaliate the whole xml,
All open tags eg.<block> need a closing tag eg.</block>,
All single tags need to be closed at the end eg.<terrain />.

Also, if you didn't already know, you can have subsprites, <subsprite sprite="0" color="none"/> to add another layer, say if you wanted highlights that aren't tinted, or a detail that some tiles have that would otherwise be the same eg. engravings.

Vaugher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: June 18, 2011, 12:06:48 am »

Thanks for the tips Tundra, I'll try it out later. I got a custom XML going that converts stones to the new graphics, but I'm having trouble with the tinting. I have, as an example,
<subtype value="BASALT" color="material"/>
Basalt tiles are using the correct graphic, but are still white. Am I putting the line together incorrectly?

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: June 18, 2011, 12:27:40 am »

Tinting options go in the sprite definition not the material definition.
for example; (from my gems code)
Code: [Select]
<!-- generic stone -->
<block sprite="0" color="layer">
<terrain value="219" />
<terrain value="335" />
<terrain value="440" />
<!-- Gems -->
<subsprite sprite="2" color="material" />
<!-- Gem highlights -->
<subsprite sprite="3"/>
<material value="Stone">
<subtype value="ONYX" />
<!-- there were lots more gem types listed here, I cut them to make it easier to read -->
</material>
</block>
color tag accepts: layer; vein; material; none.
Layer is what the main layer of that depth and biome is made of eg.mudstone
Vein runs on ores and gems.
Material is what DF counts it as being made of.
None is good for highlights, shading, cracks, carvings, etc.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 12:31:34 am by Dark_Tundra »

Vaugher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: June 18, 2011, 04:01:17 am »

Still can't seem to get the damn thing to  tint. The original GrimDark package wasn't actually built for tinting to begin with (I'm simply using sprites for the whitest stone he had made). Is there supposed to be some sort of overlay in place in order for tinting to work?

Also, how do I define which kind of tile the entry is actually editing? For example, say I wanted an entry to define a Fortification tile.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:15:46 am by Vaugher »

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: June 18, 2011, 04:07:22 am »

Post up the offending code in a code box and I'll see what I can spot.

Vaugher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: June 18, 2011, 04:16:11 am »

Success! Sort of. I got it to work with tinting, but in order to do so I had to eliminate a feature of the pack. Normally, the pack would select from one of two sprites to render so that there was some variation between all the tiles. After I removed that part of the tag, tinting worked fine. Furthermore, I even managed to get ramps to function.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:23:25 am by Vaugher »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: June 18, 2011, 04:23:50 am »

wait, that's not right. tinting is supposed to work with variations just fine....
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 379