Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1685498 times)

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 12:31:41 am »

Do you guys know about the remote play application?
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1315

It allowed users to play Dwarf fortress through the application on there computer, and others through the internet or a network. In a sense Multiplayer as long as only one person played it at a time. However you could only control DF using keyboard control, no mouse input (I never use the mouse anyway).

If you guys were to utilize the same system (It's open source) or a similar system, you might be able to allow gameplay through your program.

DF in Isometric view.

Edit:
Also, as with Macro-Writing Programs, I know that commands can be passed back to Dwarf Fortress program as well.

Turns out you do.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:34:53 am by Taal »

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 01:36:54 am »

Can anyone, PLEASE, show screenshots of the following (currently not having enough time to do it myself):

- cave in
- world on fire or fireball or dragons breath
- waterfall

Thank you very much
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 01:50:25 am »

Is it currently possible to add units to these rendered maps? IIRC, this and two of the earlier isometric viewers do not have the feature, but I vaguely remember a 3D viewer that was able to display dwarves in a limited manner.
Edit: This program is awesome. I just wish it could have a larger draw area.

Scenes from SparkGear 6
Magma flood
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The pumps are represented by pairs of trees for some reason.
Power Conduits
The conduits are filled with yellow boxes that represent axles and gears. These conduits pass power from the water wheel generator complex (currently frozen solid) to a pump stack that supplies magma to the magma flooder pictured above, and also to a water pump that seems to go nowhere.
Magma Death Road
The road is partially visible in the previous picture. Enemies enter through a long ramp, and then get trapped when a magma reservoir is emptied on their heads. Ample drainage is provided.
Magma Showers
The magma conduit pictured feeds two separate magma showers. The one on the left is currently flooded. Unseen in this rendering, a donkey is burning to death inside. The three objects inside are steel chains. Animals can be chained to lure enemies into the showers, and the chains can also be defined as a prison, to allow for a simple execution chamber.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 02:40:16 am by AlienChickenPie »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 02:23:07 am »

So...

the name?  Stone sense?

It's kind of...

taken.

Really.  For over a year.

This is the first thing I thought when I looked at the thread name. I thought you re-released your old program :).

Anyway, good work! Pick a suitable name and it's great. I like the design of the visual part.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 03:52:01 am »

Didn't mean to infringe on the name when I proposed it; Stonesense was chosen in reference to the Gold Dwarf Racial Power in D&D, which allowed them to detect nuanced details about Stonework and Carven Halls. I do like the sound of it too. Do you have an issue with sharing the name, since both are already taken by TSR/Forgotten Realms? :P

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 06:38:07 am »

A little suggestion:
Code: [Select]
pointer_x_pos         == 0x05662B4
pointer_y_pos         == 0x05662B8
pointer_z_pos         == 0x05662BC
window_x_pos          == 0x09A060C
window_y_pos          == 0x09CE6B8
window_z_pos          == 0x09CE694
Use these. Unfortunately don't have linux addresses. Now that i think about it, this should go to DFHACK?

Yes, this should go to dfhack. What version is it for?

cooz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2009, 07:25:26 am »

Hey,
this program's just awsome! I'm waiting for menus so we can actually play DF in it ;)

My only concern are objects hidden behind walls, 90 degree rotation will probably fix it somehow, but i had another idea...

I modified objects.pcx so walls have half of its original height and i think it works quite well:
here beds and cupboards are almost fully visible, but I'm aware that sometimes it could look not so right.
Maybe at some point key bind to toggle full/half walls height would be solution for that.

Oh, and here's problem with not visible ground edge - i think black border would do the trick.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2009, 07:49:59 am »

I'm not sure I like what some of you guys are saying. Toady has said several times that he is very uncomfortable with having third party full on interfaces. He doesn't want to have to worry about modifying Dwarf Fortress to meet the demands of the interface, among other things.
!!&!!

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2009, 08:09:07 am »

I do not get that argument - if he does not want to modify game to meet demands of third party interface, then he will not modify it. It is his game after all.

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2009, 10:06:36 am »

now THIS is the way df is supposed to look!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 10:55:03 am »

It actually reminds me a bit of X-COM.

Urist McHunter cancels hunt: interrupted by Ethereal
Urist McHunter has been struck down

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 11:33:43 am »

Oh my god...

You do realize that you have created the concept for one of the most epic crossovers now, do you?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 11:37:41 am »

I'd be surprised if no has made an x-com mod yet, actually.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 12:17:53 pm »

Is there any support planned for texture transparency and colorizing?  Also, this is probably more of a general DFHack question, but what's going to be done in the next version when the basic MATGLOSS types (wood, metal, stone, etc.) no longer exist?  There'll still be helper tags like [WOOD] in the material definitions, but they won't be indexed on a predictable basis.

I'm not sure I like what some of you guys are saying. Toady has said several times that he is very uncomfortable with having third party full on interfaces. He doesn't want to have to worry about modifying Dwarf Fortress to meet the demands of the interface, among other things.
I do not get that argument - if he does not want to modify game to meet demands of third party interface, then he will not modify it. It is his game after all.

What to take away from the above?  As far as I can tell, he's a little uncomfortable with visualizers, he'd be more uncomfortable with a full-on third party interface, and he'd be really uncomfortable with directly providing support for such an interface.  However, he also seems to understand that it's inevitable that people will at least try, and won't resent them doing so.

Personally I think it's somewhat irrelevant since the interface idea is doomed, barring some very major breakthroughs in memhacking menu states etc.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:26:38 pm by Footkerchief »

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2009, 12:57:40 pm »

I have made three simple mockups solving problem with dificult recognition of edges.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 379