Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698782 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #780 on: November 12, 2009, 11:58:09 pm »

What is it with people and this graphics thing? Just let him do it in his own time.

Has Toady ever failed us before?

You did notice your in a thread ware people are coding their own interface for the game because the default one is useless, if that's not failure then what is?
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 13, 2009, 12:18:50 am »

What is it with people and this graphics thing? Just let him do it in his own time.

Has Toady ever failed us before?

You did notice your in a thread ware people are coding their own interface for the game because the default one is useless, if that's not failure then what is?

People have always and will always mod games. There's nothing wrong with that. That's a good thing.

However the default UI is far from 'useless' as you claim. It has served us well for years now. Let's face it... No-ones here to play Dwarf Fortress because it's the next Crysis. People come for the surprisingly developed game-world. Sure the UI needs work... So do a lot of things... If you haven't noticed Dwarf Fortress is still in alpha...

I am all for people creating a new UI through mods but I think that the kind of 'I am entitled/we are entitled to X' attitude is disgusting, in this case substituting X for a fully decked out UI at this moment in time. Toady has said he will get around to it. Dwarf Fortress is his work and his dream. I'm not going to write a full retort because I'm not trying to start an argument here but I will say:

You did notice your in a thread...

You did notice you are on a forum run by the decency and goodwill of a sole developer who has given this project his life...

My point being, do not stop creating a custom UI, it is attracting people to Dwarf Fortress and therefore helping Toady and helping us all. But I would remind everyone (as I am beginning to detect questionable comments) that Toady owes us nothing, WE owe him everything, every word we type here, every second we spend on Dwarf Fortress, that's Toady's blood, sweat and tears. He isn't charging us to use his program or the forums, both of which take money to maintain. The least you and I can do is support him, even if you don't like his decision/s he still deserves your respect.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: November 13, 2009, 12:36:14 am »

You did notice your in a thread ware people are coding their own interface
Stonesense(isometric visualiser) does not function as an interface to DF...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: November 13, 2009, 12:38:41 am »

Impaler, I understand that you were trying to be funny, but I'm going to ask you to stop. Several times now, you've made bitingly sarcastic comments, and now you've quite openly insulted someone, namely Toady. Complete disrespect aside, I won't tolerate a flame-war here, so let's end the discussion about the default DF interface, and any perceived shortcomings it may have. If you'd like to continue to discuss it, feel free to start another thread on the subject.

And now for something completely different:

A few models for Traps. These are Rune-labeled pressure plates, which mark armed traps, helping dwarves avoid them. It's a suitable stand-in until Multi-Component Traps replace the ones we currently have in a future DF build.

Also, the next Stonesense release will feature floors with actual thickness! Huzzah!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:51:18 am by Solifuge »

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: November 13, 2009, 12:47:49 am »

As unhealthy as I feel this pervasive attitude which precludes any and all criticism of Toady is, I'll send my thoughts to Ronin privately and respect your thread.

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: November 13, 2009, 01:06:38 am »

Also, the next Stonesense release will feature floors with actual thickness! Huzzah!

Huzzah indeed.  That should help a lot.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:08:37 am by Footkerchief »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 13, 2009, 01:38:21 am »

If I may be so bold Solifuge I would suggest that the wood and stone supports could still use a bit of work (they strike me as looking a little thin and odd)... Not that I could do a better job... Just a thought if you wanted to have a crack at making an improvement or alternative...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: November 13, 2009, 01:43:13 am »

If I may be so bold Solifuge I would suggest that the wood and stone supports could still use a bit of work (they strike me as looking a little thin and odd)... Not that I could do a better job... Just a thought if you wanted to have a crack at making an improvement or alternative...

That was actually the idea! Remember, supports are built not as permanent structures, but as temporary struts that can be collapsed remotely.

For rock type graphics I'd recommend they be based on the typical depictions of rocks in geology textbooks (yes I've taken some geology) as these are a made to both match the rocks real appearance and be recognizable.  All of these refer to rough stone surfaces, smoothing and constructions are a separate issues.  The following should provide enough variety to do all the layer stones once a colorizing system is in place.
(...)

As a complete Rock Geek, this is something I've been mulling over for a while to try and find a way to do it right. I took some of your suggested textures, as well as a set of others, and added in a few others. Each category will have a generic greyscale stone texture, which we can apply colors to in order to create all the different stone types. Eventually, I'd like to have multiple textures of each category, which will be cycled through to create more natural-looking walls.

1. Flakey Sedimentary (Shale, Mica)
2. Grainy Sedimentary (Sandstone, Siltstone)
3. Clear Crystaline (Ruby, Rock Salt)
4. Opaque Crystaline (Obsidian, Bituminous Coal)
6. Smooth Igneous (Basalt, Rhyolite)
7. Coarse Igneous (Granite, Diorite)
7. Lusterous Metamorphic (Marble, Quartzite)
8. Foliated Metamorphic (Gneiss, Phyllite)
9. Nodular (Bauxite, Conglomerate)
10. Metalic (Hematite, Tetrahedrite)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 13, 2009, 01:51:09 am »

That was actually the idea! Remember, supports are built not as permanent structures, but as temporary struts that can be collapsed remotely.

Yes, you have to remember that supports are narrow enough that you can fill all your space with them and not hinder creatures moving at all. It's a difficult balance to strike lookwise, though, between too-similar-to-walls and too-narrow.

Personally I think they'd look better cylindrical. The wooden one in particular. The stone one is actually fine, but if it was made rounder, it could be suggestive of a nice fluted Greek column.

The wooden one does look a bit box-y or even wicker-y, maybe it should look like it was made from a single log? (In which case, it would be 1/4 the volume of a single tile wall - about the same as it currently is).

Hyptosis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lorestrome
« Reply #789 on: November 13, 2009, 01:53:36 am »

Solifuge, I think you've done a fantastic job, those look damn fine.
"Everyone in time has said, there comes a time to join the dead."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: November 13, 2009, 01:54:50 am »

As a complete Rock Geek, this is something I've been mulling over for a while to try and find a way to do it right. I took some of your suggested textures, as well as a set of others, and added in a few others. Each category will have a generic greyscale stone texture, which we can apply colors to in order to create all the different stone types. Eventually, I'd like to have multiple textures of each category, which will be cycled through to create more natural-looking walls.

1. Flakey Sedimentary (Shale, Mica)
2. Grainy Sedimentary (Sandstone, Siltstone)
4. Opaque Crystaline (Obsidian, Bituminous Coal)
6. Smooth Igneous (Basalt, Rhyolite)
7. Coarse Igneous (Granite, Diorite)
7. Lusterous Metamorphic (Marble, Quartzite)
8. Foliated Metamorphic (Gneiss, Phyllite)
9. Nodular (Bauxite, Conglomerate)
10. Metalic (Hematite, Tetrahedrite)

That will be a very robust system.  Awesome.

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: November 13, 2009, 02:15:02 am »

For anyone ultra eager to try out the new floors, I've compiled the latest win32 binary from the experimental floors SVN branch.  You still need all the data files from the branch, but at least you don't have to fiddle with compiling.

http://sites.google.com/site/shadow516/stonesensewin32experimentalbin.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: November 13, 2009, 02:19:39 am »

That's something I hadn't considered: gems will have to have walls of their own type, even though really in most cases it'd be more of a cluster or scattering of them through the rock. Would it be at all possible to extract the value of the nearest non-gem stone tile, and use that as the base, with scattered coloured points to represent the gems?

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: November 13, 2009, 02:35:58 am »

That gets at the flawed way gems are represented, as both a type of stone and as actual gems rather then gems IN stones.  If transparencies were available in the engine and it were possible to layer images on top of each other then putting a gems on top of the base rock would give the appearance of gems being embedded in the rock.  To get the type of the rock you can probably use the layer-stone data, all veins, gem clusters and large clusters are stored separately from the layer rocks with the former essentially replacing the later, the only issue is separating out the materials that really should be the whole tile like Coal from the ones that are truly foreign inclusions in the rock like gems and veins.

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: November 13, 2009, 04:28:03 am »

Would it be possible to update the googlecode homepage for the project to indicate what the currently available version for download has, in terms of tiles?
I'm seeing great work here on this thread but not so sure what is or isn't integrated in the v3 over at the site.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 379