Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696439 times)

Seuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1215 on: November 20, 2009, 06:48:29 pm »

a still, almost finished

Pay attention to where your light source is. All sprites so far have there light coming somewhere from the top left.
Other than that its coming along nicely.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 07:29:28 pm by Seuss »
“Reality is that part of the imagination we all agree on”

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: November 20, 2009, 06:50:45 pm »

Oh, other idea I had, what about something like detail textures? A collection of 'markings' that can be randomly chosen from and blended with the tiles to create more variation.

You know the way DF has a VARIED_GROUND_TILES give you a bunch of different floor tiles for a given floor material? They all show up in SS as different floor types. Even if you have VARIED_GROUND_TILES turned off, apparently. Japa has been using this to do a floor that avoids too much by repeating effects (has that been posted here?)

We may have to rig up something ourselves to achieve the same effect for wall tiles- seed a pRNG with x,y,z. (Or x,y,z,time for fluids...)

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: November 20, 2009, 07:03:08 pm »

Doesn't feel that bad for me, and I just ran them through a tester to look at.

try tiling them several tiles in both directions. i agree with the opinion that they need some work to smooth the tiling better, maybe not all of them, but quite a few.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: November 20, 2009, 07:10:02 pm »

dyze: that's just each tile (except the isolated soil tiles) once, blocked in the arrangement they already were in. It would take quite a bit more work to test all 200+ tiles indicated for proper tiling (making a 3x3 of each?) Hmm...

Pay attention to where your light source is. All sprites so far have there light coming somewhere from the top right.
aaaand the walls all have it coming from viewerward-up-left?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

gilrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: November 20, 2009, 07:11:59 pm »

I noticed that those floor tiles are basically a material surface with a filtered texture surface (rough, brick, etc) on top... Is it possible to create a script that applies the texture to the floor tile surface and then render it to a .png file?

The reason why this might be important is, if we are going to make random surfaces to break the tiling effect up a bit, it would be incredibly time consuming to simply render all those different tiles by hand for any given change, forcing us to make fewer changes. Plus this allows us to do other things, like create random textures in addition to the random surfaces, which would increase the number of floor tiles by around 16 times, but with a script the person who implements this won't have to render 16 different sets of floor tiles.

Also, is it possible to get the raw files for those floor tiles? That way other people can work on getting them to tile better. One thing I think they could use would be some more outline, so they fit more with the artistic theme of the rest of the graphics.

edit--upon further inspection, it looks like the method used (take a photo of a material, apply a texture to it) would only really work for the rough, smooth, and engraved aspects. For the block and stone walls and floors, the texture pattern would have to be broken up (this is easy with the block pattern; just rotate and jumble up four squares, but for the stone walls and floors, something more random will be necessary).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 07:18:05 pm by gilrad »

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: November 20, 2009, 07:15:27 pm »

Whether we can use Alpha Transparency vs. Dithering Transparency depends entirely on the resources required by each. I'm not quite a Competent Programmer myself, so I'll leave that to the Experts to answer... for now, Dither transparency is an easy way to implement it with the current engine, especially with a new release pending. :P
Currently we dont have Alpha Transparency, so Dithering Transparency is the best we have...

Also, Dithering transparency has some nice features for water: since the pixels line up perfectly, you have the effect that something is either behind water or its not. Which is less problematic than each individual block of water having its own alpha effect. (Cause different blocks will line up strangely- I should do a mockup to [a] make it obvious what I'm saying and [b] make sure I know what I'm talking about)

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: November 20, 2009, 07:17:52 pm »

CobaltKobold, could you do that again but stack each type at least three tiles deep both ways?
~ T

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: November 20, 2009, 07:18:56 pm »

Here's the next draft of each of the profession types:

Besides for general cleanup, I'm probably going to come up with some more hats/hairstyles before these are totally finished. Also the chisel the stoneworker is holding along with the woodworker's axe need to be more distinct.

Does the miner's left arm look too strange where it is? I couldn't quite get it where I wanted it.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: November 20, 2009, 07:20:26 pm »

also, i heard gem windows were apparently lost somewhere along the line- I KNOW someone made sprites for 'em..
They're back in now

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: November 20, 2009, 07:21:33 pm »

kaypy: Yeah, multiple water blocks(/magma/steam/mist/smoke/dust/etc.) would increasingly occlude. This is realistic to me. Though, I can see much reason to only render the surface.

I noticed that those floor tiles are basically a material surface with a filtered texture surface (rough, brick, etc) on top... Is it possible to create a script that applies the texture to the floor tile surface and then render it to a .png file?
I would be surprised if that were not how it was done.

Also, enables us to use the lready-nice engraved-stone graphics as another overlay.

Jadael: do you mean a 3x3x3 cube? want to make sure what's desired before I tinker too much w/ my scripts

Jarathor: Um....the arm looks fine. The highlight on the right side of the beard is screaming at me though. Also, a little too much outline power. brb with humor.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: November 20, 2009, 07:22:46 pm »

Does the miner's left arm look too strange where it is? I couldn't quite get it where I wanted it.
The miner looks fine to me, but every time I see the jeweler I think someone's tantrummed and given him a black eye...
Also, is it possible to get the raw files for those floor tiles? That way other people can work on getting them to tile better. One thing I think they could use would be some more outline, so they fit more with the artistic theme of the rest of the graphics.
 squares, but for the stone walls and floors, something more random will be necessary).
Note that an edge outline is programatically applied to the top of walls, so that they can merge together side by side
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 07:24:54 pm by kaypy »

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: November 20, 2009, 07:28:30 pm »

dyze: that's just each tile (except the isolated soil tiles) once, blocked in the arrangement they already were in. It would take quite a bit more work to test all 200+ tiles indicated for proper tiling (making a 3x3 of each?) Hmm...

a few of the most obvious ones:

seuss: thanks for pointing that out, i felt there was something that a bit odd ..too tired to pixel :/

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: November 20, 2009, 07:32:11 pm »

a still, almost finished
Yaaaaay!
Let me know when its ready to go 8-)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: November 20, 2009, 07:36:06 pm »

Jeweler's loupe looks fine to me.

dyze: Don't forget vertically tiling. I think I'll make script repeat a tile x*y*z. Easy enough t'do.

Jarathor, your fisherdwarf made me take a few minutes to makeI overdid the monocle, I think.
Tilesets

Seuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 20, 2009, 07:48:48 pm »

aaaand the walls all have it coming from viewerward-up-left?
Fixed. Sometimes my inner child takes over a little too much. :-[

Jadael's tiles are nice but in there current form they don't fit with Stonesence's style. They are to dark and to detailed causing them to demand to much attention for a background environment tile. All current wall tiles have roughly 3 shades to a side keeping them simplistic yet distinguished. However what he has contributed is still very useful.
“Reality is that part of the imagination we all agree on”
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 379