Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696564 times)

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1380 on: November 24, 2009, 08:38:11 pm »

edit: just got an idea. how about som regional variety to some of the nature sprites? like the water would be more dark blue in a cold region. or the grass, like in a desert region, make the sprite have slightly 'less straws', and a bit more yellowish color.

DF has 'dry grass', which Stonesense already has a graphic for. And once all the stone types have their own graphic, every area will have a distinct look to it.

Already, just the different soil types (soil, clay, and sand, at the moment) and varying tree/plant growth in different areas gives all my forts a pretty unique feel.
~ T

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: November 24, 2009, 08:43:40 pm »

@jarathor: Something that was done in a few graphics sets and I think would help here... Military dwarves were usually depicted as facing the opposite direction of civilian dwarves, likewise for humans and elves. It helps when creatures are small to differentiate them at a split second's glance.

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: November 24, 2009, 09:15:26 pm »

@jarathor: Something that was done in a few graphics sets and I think would help here... Military dwarves were usually depicted as facing the opposite direction of civilian dwarves, likewise for humans and elves. It helps when creatures are small to differentiate them at a split second's glance.
This is a good idea - I'll make sure and do that.

While I like it, I've always personally thought that there should be a slower visual build from recruit to champion - the full-face helm is so intimidating that it seems like overkill on a soldier / hero. Maybe: Recruits helm-less, soldiers with a hat-like helmet, heroes with a half-full face mask and elites keep that no-face mask?

And royal guards looking like something different altogether.

You're right - the full helm is a little drastic for just a plain soldier - I like your peogression, and it won't be too hard to do - just make a couple new helmets.

Also, I've finished female versions for all of the professions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's as far as I'm getting tonight.

Xandrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: November 24, 2009, 09:19:03 pm »

Speaking of the military, here's a first draft of some dwarves sans weapons:

I'm thinking that no-helmet should be a recruit, steel-without-horns the soldiers, steel-with-horns legendaries, and the gold-with-horns for champions (maybe with an added cape). While the adamantine-clad dwarves are cool, I'm not sure how they'll mesh with everything else. What do you guys think?

I'm with Retro on this.  I would opt for a "full-helm"-less military.  I prefer looking at a face than a pair of eye slits.

That being said...the recruit looks spot on.  The standard fare soldier dwarf should have a metal cap or similar with armor that's a bit more metallic than shown above.  Elites should get some nice epaulets (shoulder armor) and a horned, openface helm to make them look like the impassable half-height walls that they are.  Champions can be a recolour of elites like you have above, gold might look snazzy or garish, hard to tell.

Don't forget fortress guards and king's guards, you'll need a variant for those too.  Likely these will look more polished.  Your King's guards will be in shiny ceremonial armour rather than something battle-tested.

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: November 24, 2009, 10:34:47 pm »

So, wow - Stonesense just crashed and took DF down with it - I think. I got the runtime error for DF right before I got the runtime error for Stonesense. There's nothing in the DF log except the usual, but I'll post it here anyway:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Does Stonesense have an errorlog I can post?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: November 24, 2009, 10:57:10 pm »

Removed due to my stupidity and didnt look carefully the end of his post...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: November 24, 2009, 11:16:24 pm »

I'd think like Recruit = what you got. Legendary = Helmet. Champion = Horned helmet. And Fortress Gaurd = Horned Helmet with Cape. I mean, the nobles want their own gaurd to stand out, so make them look as gaudy as possible. :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: November 24, 2009, 11:27:48 pm »

And don't forget royal guards. I am thinking about bright colors (bright cyan/blue? red?) for fortress/royal guard, think about british royal guards with those huge hats and red outfits. They'd definitely be easy to be sniped in battlefield, but on streets they look cool.

And "policemen" approach for fortress guards would be nice too. Usually they are not heavily armored (I give all my best armor to military) and never use lethar weapons (I try to arm them with wooden ones or without weapons at all) to avoid casualties between civillians, thus they seem to be pretty close to policemen policedwarves to me. They even have a sheriff.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:30:38 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: November 24, 2009, 11:48:15 pm »

So, hmm... Because nobody has commented on my elves I thought they were not good enough. So I started to rework their model.

Old:

New:

I need some feedback because I don't want to be unapproved AFTER I make all sprites :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: November 24, 2009, 11:50:50 pm »

They can't have boots!

They're hippies! D:

But good otherwise! :D

Xandrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: November 25, 2009, 12:19:40 am »

So, hmm... Because nobody has commented on my elves I thought they were not good enough. So I started to rework their model.

Old:

New:

I need some feedback because I don't want to be unapproved AFTER I make all sprites :).

I'm a fan of the new body styles.  Much improved over the old ones.  The current Human sprites have their hands a bit better defined than your elves, although it helps to portray them as slight, stick-like things...so its a stylistic choice of yours.

Their clothes seem garish though.  The bright cyan against their orangey-red hair is too much for me.  If you tone it down to a light blue/purple or even a light green I think it'd be better.

But yes, for what it's worth, the bodies get my stamp of approval.

In regards to boots...when you "loo(k)" at an elf, what is it wearing for footwear if not leather boots? cloth boots maybe?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: November 25, 2009, 12:25:30 am »

Hmmm, you know i didnt like elf that much at all, but with your new sprite, the look, well sexy? i feel like capturing some just to make a showcase of elf in cage for dirty dwarf or noble with lever and locker room :D

edit**

Urist McUseless Cancel Life: Being slapped by angry elf.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #1392 on: November 25, 2009, 01:06:06 am »

I would try a couple alternate clothes colors for the elves as Xandrin suggests. My personal inclination would be a nice light green as a very Elfy color.

Besides, the Dwarves are the only ones who know how to make blue dye in the base DF.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: November 25, 2009, 01:19:59 am »

Well, it's cyan because it was supposed to be "peasant", which are cyan in the game. I will find a better color then.
At first people say that my images are desaturated, and now opposite. I should find a balance then :D.

Also
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS:COMMON]
'Nuff said

The current Human sprites have their hands a bit better defined than your elves, although it helps to portray them as slight, stick-like things...so its a stylistic choice of yours.
Yeah, if I make arms at least 2 pixels wide, they are not slender anymore. Sometimes you have to drop details to define a correct shape.

Also, progress report:

I didn't touch the peasant yet, so skip it. Also I think that I gave too muscular thighs to the female wrestler, however I am OK with it, I hope you don't mind. Once I had a female elf adventurer who broke necks of bears with her legs, so I don't see too much of a problem here.

P.S.
Urist McUseless Cancel Life: Being slapped by angry elf.
Urist McUseless Cancel Pull Lever: Being slapped by angry elf.
Urist McUseless has died in the heat.

Fixed.
What?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:27:48 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: November 25, 2009, 01:38:36 am »

I was thinking of doing elves in a different flavor, hunched over and more "animalistic" according to Toady&Threetoe's style of elves, but I couldn't find the specific story that mentioned how elves looked.

I do like how you did the elves' heads in particular contrast to the humans.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 379