Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1685787 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1950 on: December 10, 2009, 08:43:05 pm »

Alright, I tried a slightly smaller resolution and it works fine now.

One oddity I found: I have the default option set to show 50 z-levels, but when I start it up it only shows 30 or so; I can increase the z-levels shown after it starts via the keyboard command, so it's not that important, but I thought it was odd.

It also doesn't appear to be showing as much xy space as it should; this may be because it's extending the viewing distance below the viewing window instead of further out, but I wouldn't know.

Obligatory fortress pics:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: December 10, 2009, 09:00:18 pm »

>_> <_<

I could make something pretty like that... I just don't wanna show you all up is all...  Yea... that's it.

How do all of you people have the patience for this stuff?  I'm perfectly happy if I get a castle that looks reasonably like a castle between all the goblin, orc and megabeast attacks.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

N3X15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: December 10, 2009, 09:38:06 pm »

Fresh compile from SVN crashes on startup.

Code: [Select]
Unable to load image terrain/blocks.png

File simply doesn't exist.  I looked.

Ubuntu Karmic 9.10.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: December 10, 2009, 10:28:27 pm »

I'm perfectly happy if I get a castle that looks reasonably like a castle between all the goblin, orc and megabeast attacks.

Surviving long enough that the goblins run out of goblins helps in that regard. My fortress is more than thirty years old and I don't think I've been attacked at all in the last ten or so. On my fourth page of artifacts, too.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: December 10, 2009, 11:24:26 pm »

Hey, if you're building under linux, why do you care about having to compile your own version for custom sprites? You have to compile your own version anyway...
Consider that I'd need to compile one version per tileset and tell me how this isn't more inconvenient.

Furthermore, if you need to grab/compile a new version for each different tileset type, it makes it far less likely for people to use fringe tilesets.
Only for wacky-sized tilesets. So its one version per tile-shape you want. Since at the moment there are a reasonable amount of tiles for one tile-shape, I dont see an issue.

Code: [Select]
Unable to load image terrain/blocks.png
Sorry. I forgot to commit a file when I merged in the terrain config. Peterix fixed it about an hour back. (thanks, Peterix)

Alright, I tried a slightly smaller resolution and it works fine now.
Yay!
One oddity I found: I have the default option set to show 50 z-levels, but when I start it up it only shows 30 or so; I can increase the z-levels shown after it starts via the keyboard command, so it's not that important, but I thought it was odd.
Yeah it clips the input to 'sensible' values. We forgot to take into account forts not necessarily being sensible 8-)
It also doesn't appear to be showing as much xy space as it should; this may be because it's extending the viewing distance below the viewing window instead of further out, but I wouldn't know.
The next release should have a config option to move the screen back a specified amount rather than just a boolean 'move it back' option. If I can talk Jonask into it, I could even make it on-the-fly changeable...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: December 10, 2009, 11:55:51 pm »

Hey, if you're building under linux, why do you care about having to compile your own version for custom sprites? You have to compile your own version anyway...
Consider that I'd need to compile one version per tileset and tell me how this isn't more inconvenient.

Furthermore, if you need to grab/compile a new version for each different tileset type, it makes it far less likely for people to use fringe tilesets.
Only for wacky-sized tilesets. So its one version per tile-shape you want. Since at the moment there are a reasonable amount of tiles for one tile-shape, I dont see an issue.
Present Stonesense: Thickfloors are a separate tilekind? I really don't understand how the tiles are arranged, t hough I understand that it's treating the "floor" area as one thing 4px deep and the "wall" area as another(like DF construction) 32px deep, with widths of 32px.
Old stonesense: A wall and the floor are in the same cube with no separator. 32x32. Acts like DF viewing in that fashion (a tile can be floor, wall+floor, or neither.)

These strike me as things that should be easily shifted from defines to variables (though you might want to add some checks for robustness). The shape...well, could be either way really. Mayday's would appear to only require a. a different tileset and b. a different alignment of tiles- (and, c. disabling/altering of a few things that are shape-dependent elsewhere- the tile-edgeline for instance, last I looked at the source.)

Tilesize and floor thickness at least- whether the alternate/separate floor tile exists may require more intrusion than those two variables.

My tileset concept is 16x16 nofloorthick, anyway. Its present form works all right for mockups, if you manage to avoid the hundreds of things that won't work well with same tile.
Spoiler: I've been busy. (click to show/hide)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

tobias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: December 11, 2009, 03:25:37 am »

Been lurking this thread for a looong time now, finally decided to post a suggestion.

For interchangeable tilesets (probably more easily added sooner than later; less to change), I'd suggest a tilesets folder with subfolders for each configuration. Each folder can name images however it pleases, and then the xml files will either have standardized names, or maybe stonesense just loads all files ending in xml; I'll leave that up to your discretion. These files state which image files they're referring to for their image indexing and index the objects, like in the current xml files.

For making mini-mods to tilesets feasible, I'd suggest making a setting in the config that gives an interface for loading multiple tilesets. It starts by loading the first in the list, then loads the next one, overwriting anything previously defined by old tilesets with ones in the new set, that way any images not specified in the new set won't be displayed as blanks in the viewer, and it's easier to change, say, only the trap graphics, and have them usable without inserting the trap graphic into a dozen other tilesets, so everyone can have them with the tileset they prefer.

As an example of how stonesense would load the tilesets...

Sorry for the long-windedness. :-X

EDIT: Oh, and I failed to specify, tilesets would be referred to in the configuration file by their folder name.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:23:44 am by tobias »

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #1957 on: December 11, 2009, 06:54:12 am »

Been lurking this thread for a looong time now, finally decided to post a suggestion.

For interchangeable tilesets (probably more easily added sooner than later; less to change), I'd suggest a tilesets folder with subfolders for each configuration. Each folder can name images however it pleases, and then the xml files will either have standardized names, or maybe stonesense just loads all files ending in xml; I'll leave that up to your discretion. These files state which image files they're referring to for their image indexing and index the objects, like in the current xml files.

For making mini-mods to tilesets feasible, I'd suggest making a setting in the config that gives an interface for loading multiple tilesets. It starts by loading the first in the list, then loads the next one, overwriting anything previously defined by old tilesets with ones in the new set, that way any images not specified in the new set won't be displayed as blanks in the viewer, and it's easier to change, say, only the trap graphics, and have them usable without inserting the trap graphic into a dozen other tilesets, so everyone can have them with the tileset they prefer.

As an example of how stonesense would load the tilesets...

Sorry for the long-windedness. :-X

EDIT: Oh, and I failed to specify, tilesets would be referred to in the configuration file by their folder name.

Hey tobias! thanks for the input!

We're working on a system just like that (or at least very similar), but you raise some very valid points in there we're gonna make sure works okay.

We're gonna be using index files, so the user can specify the load order (folder names would be alphabetically) which prevents the situation where for instance the kitten mini-mod is loaded first, and then replaced by a more generic mod later. An index file let's the user customize load orders.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:58:19 pm by jonask84 »

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: December 11, 2009, 07:39:40 pm »

Stonesense Granite.
because our wishes are granite?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:43:35 pm by winner »
The great game of Warlocks!

Ixoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: December 12, 2009, 02:06:21 am »

Puns, The highest for of humor... hehe

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: December 12, 2009, 02:26:36 am »

Gneiss one.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: December 12, 2009, 02:35:20 am »

Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: December 12, 2009, 03:56:23 am »

I really like this. It's awesome to not have 3D, but isometric tiles as an alternative to symbols.

Also:
Sig'd.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: December 12, 2009, 04:11:50 am »

There's too much off-topic talc in here.  I chalk it up to a lack of updates.

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: December 12, 2009, 04:40:54 am »

There's too much off-topic talc in here.  I chalk it up to a lack of updates.
But of quartzite's gonna get off-topic. Too much gabbro. Needs to be more to-the-point, even at the risk of being chert.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 379