Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slow game speed  (Read 2042 times)

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slow game speed
« on: August 29, 2006, 10:51:00 am »

Why does this game take so much processer power?  I think it needs optimizing...

Doctor Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slow game speed
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 10:52:00 am »

Considering it's an alpha.... do ya think?   :roll:

jme

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 01:06:00 pm »

There's a lot of stuff to simulate. This is a really complex game.

Phssthpok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 02:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Zero:
<STRONG>Considering it's an alpha.... do ya think?    :roll:</STRONG>

Alpha doesn't mean we should ignore quality, it means we can help improve the quality. I think features that increase the speed of play would also increase the speed of finding bugs and strategies and emergent behavior. At one point Toady mentioned adding a frame skipper. Any word on this?

I think it would also improve play speed to add some basic mouse support to the graphics layer. If you can click to select an onscreen tile in half a second instead of spending two seconds keying over to it, you could spend more time running the simulation instead of planning.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 03:54:00 pm »

you know.. you could press 2 diagonal keys at the same time to speed up scrolling (or even just 1 diagonal + 1 normal)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 11:58:00 pm »

Any hardcore simulation like Dwarf Fortress is going to bog down any computer, especially one that uses OpenGL as a graphics kludge. =)

Optimisation is not the goal of an alpha.  An alpha test is to allow people to test features as they are implemented.  Beta is the optimisation stage, as beta-testing is intended to improve playability.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 09:24:00 pm »

Judging by some of his comments, it seems like Toady has already worked quite a bit on getting the game to run at a reasonable speed, so I'm not sure how much could reasonably be done. What I WOULD like is an option to configure what events cause the game to pause. Since I can't devote large blocks of time to the game, I would like to be able to give dwarves commands, let the game run, and then come back when the next interesting event occurs that needs my attention; there are alot of repeated tasks that aren't all that interesting to watch after the 100th time, and it would be nice to be able to play the game without having to babysit it.