Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 125308 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 09:11:40 pm »

Good story!
As for the meeting;
If you draft your broker, he will still be on conduct meeting job....
But: You will need to put him off duty to effectively conduct the meeting. When on duty, he will never finish the job.

Actually, drafting the broker (or Outpost leader, if the dwarven Liaison is the one needing a meeting), and putting him off duty is a quick way of getting the meetings done. Make sure there are no other military dwarves off duty, or there will be sparring instead of talking.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 09:45:11 pm »

I like the dialogue you write. Oh, and the fact that you use the ordinary ascii. You may have fanart coming in the future.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 10:15:17 pm »

Doesn't it suck how one almost never gets a fey or secretive weaponsmith when they can actually do something with the mood?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 11:29:51 am »

Yeah, I'm really regretting trashing the starting anvil for more skill points now... especially considering many of those points were pumped into making a good Axedwarf, and that Axedwarf happened to get assigned the role of manager... thanks, Zon XD (then again, if I hadn't done that, Azinodos probably would have annihalated the entire fortress)

I realized something on the way home for lunch that made me laugh... Oddom is camping out in the trade depot because that's where I put my first meeting area.  It's mid-winter, meaning he'll probably snap early- to mid-spring.  And guess who will be visiting the trade depot then?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:31:58 am by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 05:18:42 pm »

Now accepting dwarf claims!  Available dwarves are only the military, guards, and the consorts when they come rollin' in.  First come first serve, one each, but there's not much to claim at the moment.  Zon isn't up for grabs even though she's an axedwarf.  If your dwarf dies you can claim another if you pick a different name, and if there's a line you'd be at the back of it.

The fortress currently has available three marksdwarves and the sheriff, who is a flaildwarf.  There will be more openings soon since my metal industry is getting off the ground and I'll soon have some more weapons and armor to work with.
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 05:46:30 pm »

Dibs on the sheriff: name is Legon.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 02:37:42 pm »

I'd take a Marksdwarf named Tirin, one with a permanent, non-invalid injury if you have one. Military dwarves with missing bits have the best stories.  ;D

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 04:02:01 pm »

None of my military dwarves are injured yet.  If you want, I can reserve the first non-invalid injured marksdwarf I get for you!
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 04:26:44 pm »

19th Opal, 202, Mid-Winter
-------------

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"îton, report!  What is Oddom's status?"

"îton?  I know not this îton!  My name is Legon, sah!"

"What?  When you migrated here, you told me your name was îton!"

"Must've been someone else, sah!"

"...Huh..."  Confused, I struck the name 'îton' from the records and replaced it with 'Legon.'  These silly dwarves must have run out of batmen to name, and now they're renaming each other!  "I'm not familiar with that dialect... Anyhow, your report please!"

"Sah!  I am ecstatic to report that my room was not up to specifications, we need other drinks besides dwarven wine, and we need a well!"

"Too much wine?  A well?  You're telling me you'd rather drink water than dwarven wine??  Are you possessed or something?!"

"The others say it too, sah.  We need more varieties of booze!"

"Fine, fine.  And I'll get a well installed, too.  As for your accomodations, I think those are just about nearly finished!  Just a little more smoothing is all.  You can move in any time you like!"

"Ah, nice!  Excuse me, I'm going to go take a nap."

"No, not yet!  What about Oddom?"

"Who?  Ohh, the weaponsmith!  He's still sulking in the trade depot, sah.  Keeps staring out down the hallway outside, waiting for the traders.  He keeps sayin' 'Elves bring anvils, don't they?  I'll take a wooden anvil if I have to, just get me an anvil!'"

"Has he cut off his beard yet?"

"No, sah.  It's still flowin' in the breeze like always."

"Well, please stand guard beside him.  If he snaps, you know what to do."

Legon saluted.  "Aye, sah!"

Legon left.  Unib, for probably the twentieth time in the day, proffered me her trade documents, and for the twentieth time I've brushed them away and resumed my counting.  Twenty-one, twenty-two, twenty.... twenty?  Wait, that's not right-- ARGH!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 01:21:49 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 05:01:14 pm »

Heh.  That personality has a surprising number of matches to me (only I'm a guy).
I hate roaches.  I do like cats, too.

I got the name Legon by looking through the dwarven language file, looking for something similar to "lego" - it means "wanderer."  It doesn't fall under any of the normal dwarven name 'symbols' (categories of related words), so you probably haven't seen it before.
Just so I remember

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 05:56:50 pm »

9th Obsidian, 202, Late Winter
-------------

((Movie)) Looks like Oddom didn't last long enough to say hello to the elves.

Damn, I was actually kind of hoping he'd strangle a couple on his way out... Legon performed her first task well - she never even left her spot, she just pulled Oddom down and beat his insane skull in, then resumed standing at her post while Stâkud dragged his corpse away...

...And then had a baby to replace the dwarf she'd just beaten to death.  Talk about dedication!  She deserves a medal, but since I don't have any of those I'll give her a statue instead.

I've designated a rather ambitious digging project for the new wells.  I could have simply put one outside (and I may still do that), but knowing there are goblins around we'll need an interior well room for sieges.  Nine wells will be installed... is that too many?  I don't think so.

((Map)) And thus begins a new year.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 01:35:14 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2009, 01:57:14 am »

Enjoying the writing, and still a fan of the premise for this game. Bring on the Barons!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 03:03:35 pm »

17th Granite, 203, Early Spring
-------------

Elves are on their way... I'm half-tempted to move the trade depot outside to keep their filth where it belongs, but it's too much effort and they aren't worth it.

The guard dogs also sniffed out a pair of goblin snatchers.  One got away... the other, not so lucky.

Make that three snatchers, two dead.  I give respective nods to Stâkud Buzatoslan and Nomal Stâkudduthnur, both Farmers, as they carry their prey to the refuse pile.  I decide not to go hard on Edzul Zonkegeth, the Weaver, for letting his get away.  I don't want another incident like what happened to Oddom the weaponsmith, and anyway Edzul put up a pretty decent chase.

Asob pops out of the stairs, drops her pick, and rubs her hands nervously at the elves.

"Well, Asob?  It's showtime."

"Yes, well... Elves are very stingy.  I hope I don't offend them."

"Offend them if you have to!  You need to show them who's boss.  Just don't offer them any wood and you'll be fine."

The elves were already picking through the craft bins brought down, full of stone toys and mugs and instruments.  Asob nervously made her way toward them and began conversing.  Amazing.  She's a totally different person when it's just her and me speaking.  Put her in a crowd, and she shakes more than a purring maggot on a XXpig tail threadXX.

"Good morning," Asob says to the elves.

"Greetings.  My name is Liyìÿi Apasifita.  We are enchanted by your more ethical works.  Let us trade."  One of the elves snorted as he glared at one of our wooden bins.  Another snickered, as if someone had told a joke.

"Yes, well... can I interest you in some mugs?  How about some instruments?"

"Is this not all you had to share last year?" The elf frowned down upon her.

"Well, yes!  You can expect the same quality of craftdwarfship here at Severedcoils, heh heh..."

Both of Liyìÿi's companions snickered, and Asob began to look very worried.  "We come bearing wood that has been cut with care, from trees painstakingly felled by elven +Alder Battleaxes.+  It takes several of these wooden axes to chop down a single tree, and we do it out of respect to our mother forests."

"Well, you should try steel some time!  Takes it right down, and you can use it again for the next!"

Oops.  The three elves glared daggers at poor Asob, who looked like she wanted to shrink away into a puddle.

"We also come bearing multitudes of (Rope reed cloth).  We trust you will buy a lot of it, as it is of high value and we come expecting great profits from you as in the past."

"Well, we don't really need wood or cloth.  We have silk all over the place, and--" Asob stopped herself short, remembering her last mistake.  "Yes, well... Didn't you bring any berries or seeds?  No sunshine or wild strawberry wine?  No exotic animals?"

"Phah," Liyìÿi spat.  "Cheap stuff.  We're businesselves, not petty merchants.  Those items aren't worth the trouble hauling them."

One of the other elves picked up a «+Basalt drum.+»  It is encircled with bands of green zircon.  He let it fall from his hands with a clatter.  "It's just as well, Liyìÿi.  The dwarves want to trade us junk, let us give them junk."

"Now, now, Apasi, we wouldn't want to sell the dwarves short."

The elves are laughing.  Asob is making a plaintive gesture.  By now, other dwarves were starting to gather.  Legon tensed her grip on her flail and on her baby.  Vabôk Lullpaddles, one of the marksdwarves, stood near as well.

And then... Asob's face burned red.  The pressure of all those around her, expecting her next move, must have triggered the same courage that had brought her to single-handedly take down the batman who attacked the human liaison last year.

"Very well," Asob's voice was dark and full of hatred.  "You want to give us cloth and wood?  Fine.  We'll take all of your wood, and two bins of (Rope reed cloth.)"

"Ah, very good," said the elf condescendingly.  "And how many of your rocks do you wish to give us in exchange?"

"You misheard me, Liyìÿi.  I said we'll take them."

I opened my mouth to protest, but it was already too late.  And, after all, they had insulted our craftdwarfship several times.  The elves looked to each other, startled, then noticed the gathering of dwarves around them.  Legon stared back at them, as Vabôk trained her Oaken crossbow at the elves.

"Take what you wish," Liyìÿi said after a pause.  "We cannot stop you."  With that, the elves drew their muskoxes around and slipped past us, disappearing into the forest.  Asob still stood, burning with rage for a while, then wordlessly retrieved her pick and went back to carving the baron's chambers.

Looks like it's time to build up a military... and hey, since we still have all of our crafts, we're that much closer to purchasing an anvil from the humans next season.  The workers celebrated Asob's courage by giving names to the resident caveswallowmen.

-------------
25th Slate, 203, Mid-Spring
-------------

More migrants, and we propel ever closer to the point of requiring a baron.  It occurs to me that in the midst of day-to-day life, our mission has become something of a dream to me.  As of yet, I still can't imagine myself arranging the death of a fellow dwarf, but if I don't...

"Twenty new migrants, bringing our total population to fifty, sah!  We're officially a village now!"

"Legon," I address the sheriff as she approaches.  "I thought counting was my job?"

"Ha, very good sah, but it is a sad dwarf that can't count a few heads.  Listen, with all these newcomers, crime becomes an ever-increasing concern."

"Crime?  When have we ever had a criminal in our fort?"

"Need I remind you, sah, of the insane weaponsmith?"

"No, you did a very fine job of handling him yourself.  And that wasn't exactly a criminal, it was a strange mood."

"And with more heads come more strange moods, sah!  And with more moods and less capable dwarves to guard them--"

"Alright, Legon, you've made your point.  More guards it is.  But I don't want my dwarves becoming fearful!  You're going to receive equal parts of wrestlers and marksdwarves, alright?"

"Wot?!  You don't intend to give us proper dwarven weapons?"

"I don't want the workers hurt so badly they can't do their jobs!  There will be a military with proper weapons to defend us, and you can keep your flail.  Is that fine?"

"...Yes, sah, that'll do."

Legon left.  I could tell she was annoyed, as she was already appraising the newcomers to see which potential wrestlers had the broadest shoulders.  That wasn't important right now, though.  Twenty newcomers means we need to carve more rooms, make more beds and doors... and get that well project done!

Speaking of the wells, they've been delayed because we've crossed a wealth of material in the path of the water.  Not to mention dolomite, we've dug up more bituminous coal, bloodstone, and - my favorite gem - carnelian!  To make the most of this, we've dug out the walls to access the veins, built an access route to each side of the water ditch, and walled it off so that we don't flood the resources.  It will be worth it, even with the delay to the overall project.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 06:20:31 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2009, 10:06:49 pm »

4th Hematite, 203, Early Summer
-------------

Every day, I grow to love this site a little more.  It has tetrahedrite en masse, plenty of bituminous coal, native copper, native silver that we can see but haven't yet reached... carnelian, of course!  But best of all, we've just discovered native aluminum!  This will be perfect for pleasing those unruly consorts.

To reward the workers, I think it's time to finally get the wells under way.  I order the final stretch of clay to be channeled and wait for the water to fill our reservoir...

...and, done without a hitch!  Wonderful!  Let's get this area smoothed, put some doors on it, and we'll be set.

The human traders from Pesor Siti - or as they call themselves, "The Confederacies of Targeting" - came to trade.  Asob's shell has finally cracked, and she managed to get two anvils, a good lot of black bear and carp leather, and some booze.  She also got several blocks of cheese, and sent them straight to the kitchens for cooking to be turned around and sold for more stuff.  Oh, and it looks like she snagged a flail as well!  Legon will have someone to train with after all.

I heard Fikod shouting something.  "The traps!  The traps have caught something!  Come and see!"

He must mean the dog traps!  Eager to see what we've captured, I head outside to look--

"An ambushes!  Curse thems!"

"Leave it to us," Legon roared.  "Right, volunteers!  Stand at the ready!  Show me wot you've got, so's I can tell which of you are fit for guard duty!"

((DFMA 1)) ((DFMA 2)) ((Movie)) A wrestler is lost to the first conflict... Meanwhile, the guard dogs are lost, and the civilians employ a rather odd, yet effective defense...

I can't believe I didn't already have this set up, but a new crypt has immediately been designated.  This will be filled with the fallen heroes of Severedcoils.  I can't imagine needing a room bigger than this, right?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 06:27:04 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2009, 10:12:50 pm »

I certainly can.

Oh, and what joy!  A flail! (those are better than what I had before, right?)
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54