Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 125373 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 4!)
« Reply #735 on: November 01, 2012, 12:04:39 am »

Ahhh, nothing like a good tantrum spiral to prove that no matter how bad things get, the nobility make everything worse.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 04, 2012, 01:26:06 pm »

I lend my weighty, years-old forum membership whole heartedly to the vote for SeveredCoils! It deserves inclusion. More focused on narrative than the blood, gore, and chaos that often defines a Dwarf Fortress tale -and yet not lacking that in the slightest.
I'd like to add another vote for Severedcoils, if only because my character in that fortress is the Philosopher.

Votes added! Severedcoils has been inducted into the Hall of Legends! *dadurrr*

WAUGH!!  A BIG Thank You to everyone who voted, and a big thank you to everyone who didn't vote but read or commented anyway!  It means a lot to me that you guys are having as much fun reading as I have writing.  Your feedback has been a great encouragement, and were it not for that I might not have come back to finish this after I got away from it for a while. 

When Severedcoils finishes, I intend to acquaint myself with the latest version and try the same challenge again, but I'm not sure how long of a break I'll take between.  I am still working on a novel aside from this, and it's been sorely lacking attention :P

Again, thanks again everybody!  This is a big deal to me.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #737 on: November 04, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »

This challenge isn't actually possible in version 0.31 or later - the baron/count/duke are appointed from your own population (rather than showing up as migrants), they aren't useless (they continue to do useful work), it's impossible to replace them once they die (due to a bug), and their spouses aren't actually distinct positions (and thus have no room requirements and make no mandates).

Now, if you wanted to try this in version 0.23.130.23a, that would be a challenge, since you'd get 3 new consorts per year (baron/count/duke were distinct nobles and did NOT replace each other) and you'd have to deal with the dozens of other nobles too...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:29:44 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 07, 2012, 02:12:02 pm »

15 Hematite
Zon
-----

The southern group comes closer... fortunately, they're going to walk right past the giant eagle and wolf cage. 

((DFMA 1)) ((DFMA 2)) ((MOVIE)) I hate to use my trump card so early, but considering the size of this force it'll be a big help.

...The lever didn't work!!  What the?!  Oooh, when I find out which mechanic screwed this up they're going to be promoted to a Duke just so they can take the inaugural shower!

'Archibold' smashes a goblin's face in so hard, its body lands well outside the boundaries of our civilization!  With that, it looks like the goblins are fleeing!  The siege is broken!!  With their numbers, I'm shocked... but not complaining.  Their cowardice is our good fortune.  The goblins managed to kill a war dog and Ineth Olinurol... he must have tried to take a shortcut between the ballista fortifications and his new assignment.  Still, this is not nearly as bad as the damage the spirits of fire have caused.

Speaking of... several guards started, then quickly ended tantrums before they could do any real damage.  Minkot, however, I have locked in his room.  I'm well aware that an enraged dwarf could potentially break down his own door if he really wanted, but this should still keep any wandering dwarves from entering and potentially getting hurt.

The masons need to hurry and build some new coffins.  Somehow, our public grave has been emptied - perhaps whatever foul demon was responsible for the cleaning spell demanded our dead as sacrifice... oddly, nobody seems to be particularly upset about it, so we'll just quietly refill the tombs with more dead.  For now, the emptied crypt is the cleanest-smelling room in the entire fort.  That will change very soon.

More dwarves are starting small tantrums... including Minkot, Barduk, and many others.  Much of the populous is unhappy with the loss of several good friends.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now's a good time to refill the mist waterfall, and make sure we have a good supply of lavish foods...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 11:07:59 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 21, 2012, 02:32:11 pm »

21 Hematite
Zon
-----

The dwarves have demanded election of a new mayor in Asob's absence.  I ventured down to her bunker to see whether she would object, but it appears as though she has walled herself in completely.  I consider for a moment whether I should order a miner to dig her out, but decide perhaps it's for the best to leave her there for now.  We're not yet sure that we're safe from the Spirits of Fire... I will see to it she's released as soon as the pit is sealed.  For now, čzum ňnulód has been elected the new mayor.

I hear screaming in the halls... and... laughter... uh oh... i recognize those sounds....... not again...

Tekkod Lenodmeng, the Tax Collector, has gone stark raving mad!
Barduk Bodicecarnal the Blockaded Sweetnesses of Holding has been struck down while tantruming!
Monom Thobamal is stricken by melancholy!
'The Overlord' has gone stark raving mad!

it's happening again... like last time... everybody crazy... killing each other... it's all over again... have to flee again...

.......No.  Not again.

NOT. 
AGAIN.

This time is different.  I'm in control.  I've been hardened by these trials.  The things I've witnessed - no, the things I've done here have made me superdwarvenly tough.  Kovest... no, Armok himself has set me on this path for a reason.  I've seen what happens when nobody takes charge.  When everybody panics and nobody wants to be responsible should the rocks start rumbling, it will inevitably crumble.  And this place... it's chipped away at me, gnawed at my soft spots, consumed me in its own way, like a pack of hoary marmots nibbling at a rotten goblin corpse, leaving the toughest parts for last.  Now, only one question remains; do I have what it takes to conquer my biggest fear, or do I let melancholy eat me for dinner?

Not.
Again.

First thing's first, I grab a blubbering 'The Overlord' and scream in his face.

"OH, HA HA, GOOD JOKE ABOUT MY BEARD BUT IT WASN'T THAT FUNNY!"

Everyone within the vicinity drops what they're doing and stares at me as I make fun of a stark raving lunatic.  Well... as a dabbling comedian, I thought it was funny.  Anyway, the point was to get everyone's attention, so even if the joke didn't go over well, my social gaffe did its job.  I wipe away the spittle on my beard - honestly, I'm not sure whether it's my own from screaming, or if it's from 'The Overlord' raspberrying at me in response.

"Ok, look.  We've got a big mess to clean up.  The goblins are gone, the demons are gone--"

"How do you know that??" Someone shouts.

"The demons are gone," I repeat with emphasis.  Little trick I've learned as a leader... if you say something more than once and louder, it becomes true.  "Our first priority is to keep it that way.  Masons!"

"Eh?"

"Somebody floor over those glowing pits, like, now."

"Wha-- AAAAUGH!  Down there?!"

"Yes."

"Really?!  AAAAUUUGGH!!"

"Please?"

"Oh!  Well, I mean, since you said 'please...'"

"Chefs!"

"Macaques!"

"Eh?"

"Macaques outside!"

"Bloody... Military!"

"Woo monkeys!"

"Great.  Chefs!"

"Ok what?"

"Dwarven sugar roasts.  A lot of them.  The best way to fill that void in our hearts is with sweet, sweet delicious treats.  We're dwarves!  We don't let depression kill us!  We find more creative ways to kill ourselves - like dwarven sugar diabetes, and cat tallow-clogged arteries!"

"Hey, yeah!  Bugger depression with a quarry bush!"

"Minkot!"

"YOUR DINING ROOM IS TOO NICE!!"  Minkot flips a table.

"Nevermind.  Quietust!"

"Shh!"

"Go pull the lever labeled 'Happy Thoughts.'  We need to refill the mist generator.  Pull it again before it floods."

"I shall go quietly."

"Engineers!"

"Waaaah?"

"The pump stack to the, erm... 'emergency well' has fallen apart.  Rebuild those."

"Waaaah."

"The rest of you... collect our bodies, give them proper burials.  Gather what you can out of the pits.  Somebody dropped our legendary adamantine buckler down there - the sooner that gets recovered, the better!"

I distinctly decide not to instruct the miners to begin excavating the precious adamantine.  Not until it's perfectly safe.  A greedy leader might immediately take the chance to get what they can, but I've seen enough good dwarves die today.  We have to remember our dwarven priorities, after all!  First we gather refuse and loose items from the dead, then we gather bodies, then we ensure our safety, then we tend to those of broken body and soul... and THEN we get filthy stinking rich.

Hmm... do demons even wear socks??

I take a moment to look outside, where we first parked our wagon eleven years ago.  To think in such little time we've come so far, and we may soon lose it... this might be the last moment of peace I have to enjoy such a sight.

Ahh... littered with goblin and monkey guts.  Just the way I want to remember this place.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 09:26:03 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 21, 2012, 06:29:01 pm »

This update makes me laugh.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 07, 2012, 08:37:50 pm »

28th Hematite, 211, Early Summer
by Zon Rimtarothil Afentumam

Zasit Adillokum, Recruit has gone stark raving mad!
Solon Isonsĺkzul Salirtoral, Marksdwarf has gone stark raving mad!
Ineth Asmelrazes, Wrestler has gone berserk, torn her own baby to pieces, and had to be struck down (fortunately, her husband, Endok Amast, was in the zoo at the time and had so many exotic creatures around that he paid the catastrophe little mind!  It's amazing what a chained raccoon can do when placed beside giant eagles, cougars, wolves, bears... gophers...)

We have a terrifying shortage of coffins.  I order them built right away... surely, the combination of seeing our recently departed decay outside in a pile is contributing to our residents' insanity just as much as the disappearance of our previously departed's resting places.  I shudder to think what those hellbeasts want with our dead...

The glowing pits are sealed, and immediately I give the orders to mine adamantine.  A bigger problem has surfaced, though... most of those currently babbling incoherently around the fort are our military.  As of now, we are down to eighteen strong.  We'll need to begin recruiting again, but the last thing we need is a training accident to stoke the flames of the current tantrum spiral.  Perhaps next week, I'll begin selection and training.  Depending on the circumstances... maybe I'll just start breeding bears alongside eagles and wolves?  Wait, do we have two bears?  ...No.  Blast.  Marmots, then...

Apparently, our dedicated food hauler was also doing cleaning, and decided to scrub all the blood from every wall before anything else - so, the fine goat cheese roasts our chefs painstakingly prepared are now rotting.  Wonderful.  That miasma will go great with our current situation.  I do what I should have done years ago and order doors installed all around the kitchens.  While I'm at it, I have them placed around the fisheries too, and assign a potash maker and a wood burner the sole responsibility of hauling food.

Oh, and I FINALLY figured out who's dining room the King's been complaining about all this time.  I have no idea why he wouldn't just tell me directly, but it was pretty easy to figure out after he was heard shouting obscenities at a chair he destroyed after apparently naming it "Reg."  I had the following conversation with Reg Erushtirist, Duchess Consort.

"Reg, a word?"

"Mmmmyes?"

"Look.  I know this won't be easy for you, but you've gotta help me.  The king won't stop throwing temper tantrums.  He thinks your dining room looks as good as his."

"Well, it should!  For a high-class dwarf of my astounding tastes."

"Ok, look.  I know you bureaucratic types love your red tape... so let's play a little game.  See those two walls over there?"

"You mean those two far walls, with all the lovely decorations?"

"Yeah, those.  Those aren't yours anymore."

"What?"

"Yeah, effective immediately those walls are considered public domain."

"How could you?!  What exactly does that mean, anyway?"

"When assessing the value of the room, those walls don't count towards the room's value.  Now, you're free to look at them all you like - just like everybody else - however, they would have to go through your room to do so, and you have every right to forbid them entrance to your quarters."

"So... what you're saying... is they're not my walls... but... they are?"

"Bureaucracy's fun, huh?!"

Reg crossed her arms.  "No, I simply cannot abide.  I demand compensation!"

I stroke my beard, pretending to be thoughtful though I already know what I'm going to do.  "Want a new table?"

"Um.  Sure!  That would do nicely."

"Great."  Immediately, I order a hauler to remove her  ¤Gabbro Table¤ and replace it with a -Gabbro Table-.  Surprisingly, she remains content - as if the simple act of trading material for fake boundary lines drawn through her room is more important than the quality of the table itself.  Whatever, problem finally solved.

It only just occurred to me that along with Asob, three other dwarves are missing.  I've heard nothing of their fates.  Did she seal them in with her?  Or were they claimed by the demons, and their deaths went unreported as their ashen remains failed to be recognized?  I suppose at this point, either of those are equally likely.  Hopefully they won't need to stay in there much longer.

I think the tantrums have actually ceased... even the king has calmed down.  Oh, the magic of bureaucracy... I should try it more often!  If it stays this calm, I'll dig them out at the turn of the next month.

...This month has really dragged.  It feels so slow.  I haven't had anyone to really converse with.  I think... perhaps I owe Asob an apology, if I ever see her again.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 05:55:21 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 08, 2012, 08:10:09 am »

Yeah, the more cats the worse.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 23, 2012, 11:29:02 am »

1st Malachite, 211, Mid-Summer
-------------

The only person in the fort left tantruming is the king, and even he's doing it far less than he was when this all started.  Many of the dwarves are still miserable, but I think we've avoided a catastrophic tantrum spiral.  Even with a miasma coming from the kitchen, those goat cheese roasts sure seem to have done the trick!

It's time to make good on my promise.  I designate an order to mine Asob out of her bunker, along with whomever else she's been harboring.  I'll be honest, I'll miss these last few days with only three consorts blabbering mandates into my ear, but even that is harder to bear without Asob's cheerful respite... provided she's still cheerful with me.  Come to think of it... I might just arrange a party once we've extracted them!

Meanwhile, since we're mining away, I increase the size of our raw adamantine piles near the craftshops and set orders to extract strands on repeat.  It's so tempting to begin work on weaponry and suits of adamantine armor, but I'm afraid our smiths aren't quite skilled enough yet.  It would be a waste for someone to do a sloppy job with such material.

I've also ordered the reconstruction of the "noble shower" mechanisms.  You know, it's awfully strange that a demon who attacked us and raided our crypts would also destroy a mechanism used primarily for... er, "pruning."  This, as well as recent confirmation that some well-known places where dwarven bones were visible yet unretrievable at the bottoms of ponds are now devoid of our comrades' remains, leads me to believe their real goal was the corpses and bones specifically.  Perhaps destroying our mechanism was a message - that the remains who have fallen into the abyss are truly impossible to retrieve, even by demonkind.  Who knows... maybe they're still alive, still falling forever into nothingness... Hmm...

There's also the matter of the ballista towers.  A few of the remaining fortifications were suspended due to the attacks.  I reorder their completion, and then set to thinking of another project for the masons.  Any distraction at all from the misery around here will be a welcome one.  Briefly, I entertain thoughts of building a mega-statue, but in the end I decide this doesn't appeal to me.  First of all, what we're doing here is supposed to be covert.  A big freaking statue will draw too much attention.  Secondly, it's completely impractical!  What would be its purpose?  No, whatever we build next has to have some kind of function... perhaps we could extend the ballista towers with a full arrangement of castle walls?  I kind of like that, but castles are more of a human thing... though not strictly unheard of.

My musings are interrupted by ézum ňnulód, the recently elected mayor.  "Zon, my friend, how's it going?  You, me, we got a jive to sit through, though it's no big deal.  Nothin' major, not at all, just need a little one-on-one time with the Zonster."  Though appearing cool and collected with a big fake grin plastered under his beard, his sudden intrusion betrays the urgency of his visit.

Like Asob, he is also of the Miner's Union, and with his recent elevation in status along with Asob's disappearance he has taken charge of managing the mining orders.  Truth be told, I've never liked the guy.  He strikes me as a skilled flatterer, a proficient intimidator, and a skilled liar, just to name a few of his impressive personal skills.  In retrospect, I now regret being absent for his inauguration... I wonder what speech he gave to persuade the dwarves into electing him?

"Ah.  ézum.  To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Oh, nothing much!  Not a big deal at all.  Great fort we've got here, and it's an honor to get elected mayor.  New responsibilities as a leader, feels pretty big!  But not too big.  Know what I mean?"

I'm quickly getting a feel for how this dwarf works, so I attempt to give him as little fuel for his swindling as possible.  "Mmhm.  It's good to see that you're up for this challenge."

There's a bit of a pause, as he expects me to say something else.  This, of course, is exactly what I intend.  "Ah, yeah, no doubt about it!  Shouldn't be too big a challenge for me.  Though it is a big deal, but it's not.  Get it?  Yeah, 'course you do.  You wouldn't be the head honcho, the big goat cheese roast, the wedge woman if you didn't."

I nod, silently wondering to myself what the heck 'wedge woman' means.  I'm guessing it's some corny euphemism for being a cornerstone to the fortress's development, but more likely he's intentionally using an unfamiliar phrase to poke some sort of intellectual weakness out of me.  I ignore the statement and make a mental note of this as I proceed.  I carefully prepare a bait to test my theories about his character.  "Of course.  Eleven years in charge does grant a certain wisdom about leadership."

"Yeah, I hear that!  Had to make a lot of mistakes to get to where you're at, right?"  He laughs jovially.  I fake a smile.  Wait for it...  "Azinodos killing all those migrants before you finally took him out, all those unexplained noble disappearances, the big lava trap not working out - heck, what about this demon incursion?  Bet you learned a lot from those recent losses, am I right?"  He laughs again, making it all look like some big joke.

His tactics are perhaps worse than I suspected.  I knew that he might leap for the first vulnerability I gave him, but such a ruthless attack so early?  He even brought up Azinodos!  So, this guy has dirt on me from all the way back when we started.  No doubt he has dirt on every single dwarf who could possibly oppose him as a leader.  It's all starting to become so clear to me how he won this election.  Still, I have already prepared a counter for this.  I nod grimly.  "Indeed, I have learned much of the strength of our kind from the sacrifices of our kin.  Our warriors trained night and day for such a glorious battle, and while it is regrettable that they are no longer among us, I'm proud to have stood beside dwarves brave enough to die in battle against such fierce opponents, and prouder still to stand alongside dwarves who have fought denizens of hell and lived to tell the tale."

He nods, again with the stupid plastered grin, and again pausing.  Precisely as planned - I've dared him to take another jab when the honor of our kind, and specifically our military, is on the line.  He has no honorable choice but to surrender his attack.  "Yes, yes, Armok must be pleased to have such warriors now at his service."

"Of course.  Now then, ézum, I have a lot of work to do quelling dissent among the populace.  I must apologize, but I fear I don't have the time at present to trade stories.  Was there a particular matter you wished to bring to my attention?"

"Ah!  Yes, that.  Again, not a big deal.  It's about the recent mining designations."

"Are you having trouble digging the adamantine?  I assure you, we've seen the last of the spirits of fire.  The pit is sealed forever."

"Oh, not at all!  My fellow miners are fearless.  In fact, my concern is just the opposite.  You and I both know that stuff is mint.  Pure profit.  A money mine."

"Let's not forget that the strength of that material will protect the lives of our military," I state with a hint of warning.

"Of course, of course.  So, you and I both know that it's incredibly important to mine that stuff!"

"Mmhmm..."

"So, I just wanted to run this past you - see how this feels on ya - how about if you let us mine all the adamantine, without interruptions?  Think you could belay some of those distractions?  It's a win-win, if you ask me."

"Distractions?  I don't follow you, ézum."

"You know, distractions!  Other mining designations.  Anything unrelated to getting our hands on that demon booty."

...Now I'm uncertain whether he's prodding for weaknesses, or he's just plain stupid.  "Well, sure, that seems in line with our priorities, but--"

"Fantastic!  So, I'll just go ahead and cancel any other mining designations."

"Hold on!  I can't have all of the miners work solely on adamantine uninterrupted.  There may be times when, in an emergency, we need something or someone dug out right away.  For instance--"

"Ah, well Zon, baby, that's where YOU come in!  See, so long as nobody makes any mistakes, nobody will get themselves trapped on the west side of a wall they just built.  See, we can just be more vigilant in our other orders so the miners don't need to stop digging."

"Why is this so important to you, ézum?  It seems to me that while you're not saying it outright, there's a particular mining designation you don't wish to complete."

"Nah!  I'm just as excited as you to get all that adamantine out ASAP.  I want to be the mayor who sets the record on fastest profit in the fort, you dig?"

Maybe I imagined it, but I could swear his voice got just a bit louder at the words 'I want to be the mayor.'  Regardless, I think ézum has unintentionally revealed his true intentions to me.  I feel my anger begin to flare up, but I mustn't let him get to me.  "I cannot abide the Miner's Union ignoring my orders for any reason, profitable or otherwise.  There are safety issues to consider, and our safety is more valuable than the adamantine."

"Sure, sure... that's why we opened the demon pit in the first place, right?"

"We did not open it.  We were victims of their sorcery."

ézum lounges back in his chair and inspects his fingernails.  "I gotcha, I gotcha.  Sorcery which caused a pit-shaped slab of rock suspended precariously on a rigged pillar to suddenly fall.  Look, Zon, if we're gonna lead together, you and I have to see eye to eye.  It's no secret you intended to get in there sooner or later.  Whether now was the time... it's not really that important.  What's done is done, and we've got all kinds of sweet loot to gain.  Lives were lost, sure, but - and you said it first - Armok would be proud of our sacrifice."

Fool!  I quit paying attention to what I was saying for one second, and I let him get away with that.  Enough of this farce.  "I simply will not agree to cancel all other mining designations for the duration of the adamantine excavation.  In fact, there is one particular designation which takes higher priority - and if I don't see Asob standing before me within the next five minutes, I'll hold you in contempt before the king!"

"Ha!  Haha... Asob?  The little elf coward is more important than--"

I do not let him finish.  I slap that smug grin right off his damn face, and I stare him down.  "The only coward I see is the one sitting before me.  Are you really so afraid of Asob that you would ensure she remains locked away, out of your sight, until the end of your term?  Until the next term, perhaps?  You only won this election because Asob was unable to attend, and you know this.  I see you, you filty worm, and I see that you intend to keep her indisposed as long as you can, just so you can keep defeating her one election after the next.  You are a disgrace.  Now you get the hell down there, you put that filthy pick in your grubby little hands, and you get digging."

ézum's eyebrow twitches, and then he begins breathing heavily through his nose.  He then lets out a powerful yell. 

"HOW DARE YOU TOUCH MY FACE?!  NOBODY TOUCHES MY FACE!!  I'M NOT DIGGING OUT THAT HALF-RATE EX-MAYOR AND THAT'S FINAL!  I WORKED HARD TO GET WHERE I AM, AND NOBODY'S GOING TO TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME!!"

I sigh.  Of course... we're not quite through the tantrum spiral yet.  I mentally kick myself for giving the wheel another turn as he storms out of my office, in tears and screaming down the hall.

Seeing as ézum is presently out of commission, I hoist my axe and set off down the hall, hoping I won't need it.  I make my way towards the weapon stockpiles in search of a pick - I'll just dig her out myself.

...But it seems I won't need to.  As I journey through the dormitories, I see Asob, along with three other dwarves I haven't seen in just as long a time huddled closely behind.  I smile to myself as I see Asob scribbling away in my journal, recording events in real time - just like I do.  I hadn't been aware she had learned to do that, but I guess she's had a lot of time to practice. 

They appear to have encountered a wild The Overlord.  I actually have no idea how to stop him from engaging them, but I'll go ahead and give it a try.  I might as well stop writing, too, - no need, since I'm sure Asob's getting all this right now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 09:26:53 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 23, 2012, 12:57:40 pm »

Heh, every time I read these updates I laugh.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 12, 2014, 09:11:22 pm »

(Entirely OOC testamonial)

So, I could go on about important life excuses like buying my first house, switching jobs a couple of times, switching girlfriends just as many, etc. about why I never let this play out to its bloody end, but I won't.  The honest truth is I'm in love with this story, especially the characters of Zon Rimtarothil and Asob Momuzzokun.  Sure, it's technically a fan fiction, but when I get into the swing of it, I really pour my heart into it.  Truth be told, Severedcoils is easily the most complete, thought-out story I've written on my own, and it was a heck of a lot of fun to write.

So, why'd I stop?  Simple... I didn't want it to end.

It's clear to me that this fortress is on a collision course to destruction.  More to the point, I think a part of me really can't bear to see either of the main characters die in some horrific way.  I figured this out when I did the trial fight against the SoFs (dubbed 'Asob's Nightmare' earlier in the story); something about watching Zon run bravely into the billowing smoke to confront the most powerful enemies in the game, only to wind up limp on the stone floor of this hell I put her in... somehow, more than anything else I've done with this story, that non-canon moment I intentionally set up to fail "just to see what would happen" still haunts me.  I frequently think back on it, just as I think of Zon saving the fort from the giant bat, as well as taking out an entire goblin ambush on her own with no armor.

It took me some time to realize that it wasn't life getting in the way between me and finishing this story.  I'm stalling because I don't want to see it end.  But you know what?  Zon and Asob can't die as heroes if I don't let them die.

So, for old fans who have been left cold without an ending, to new readers who are probably wondering why a nearly 5-year old thread is suddenly popping up with a new post, and for Zon and Asob... I'm going to finish this.

LET THEM PULL THE LEVER!!
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

15 Malachite 211
Mid-Summer
Zon Rimtarothil Afentumam
---

Each passing day grows grimmer than the last.  The people are restless - unable to cope with the losses of their friends, causing more casualties in turn.  Even the guards, trained and hardened as they are, are not immune to the effects of this malaise. 

My eyes rest upon the note hastily dropped beside my door by... some poor soul, clearly in a hurry not to be seen in the hallway lest they meet the gaze of a madman and end up with their eyes gouged out as their assailant rants about the ≡Dwarven sugar roast≡ who told him his beard smelled nice.  Looking back at my previous entry, I have no earthly idea how I was so confident only two weeks ago.  'Cursed death-trap' indeed... would that I had a choice in setting out upon this journey in the first place.  So many lives have been lost on my command... but then again, many were saved as well, as my plan to crush the majority of the demonic forces spared the majority of this fortress from a terrible fate... but then again again, we never actually needed that adamantine to begin with.

My head hurts.  These days, I find myself becoming anxious quite easily.  I fear I must admit I do not have a contingency plan for the many things that can very easily go wrong.  The gravity of this situation never quite dawned on me until it infected the militia.  Suppose one of our champions goes mad?  'Archibold' still reigns supreme with seventy-seven notable kills, more than triple that of the next leading dwarf.  There would be no stopping him.

My tongue is parched.  I am thirsty, and yet I cannot bring myself to drink.  As I sit here, alone, reveling in my plight...

"Augh, what is this I'm writing?!  Some kind of wimpy elf poem?  Next thing I know, some daft bard somewhere will make it the next big thing, the kids will all be wearing dark clothes and loitering in front of the markets not buying anything..."

I stop to see Kib Therlethzaneg, a Duches Consort, quivering outside my doorway, clutching her ≡Dolomite idol≡ as if her life depended on it.  It only takes a moment to realize what's wrong.

"Oh... by the stones, I haven't gone mad quite yet!  I'm made of stronger stuff than that, you know.  I'm just thinking out loud to myself."

Kib scuttles away before I can finish my rebuttal.  I sigh.

"Kovest... I need a drink."  I pause, thoughtfully.  "And I need a drinking buddy."

I walk outside, under the mildly annoying sun, to go and find Asob.  As expected, I find her mortaring up a slab of basalt onto one of the ballista fortifications.  Attentive to every detail, she carefully smooths the mortar between her slab and the next with the top of her +Copper pick+.  I decide to get her attention by stepping into her mortar trough.

"What--?!"  Asob recoils, and looks up at me with a very... foreign look to her eyes.  A look of uncertainty, without recognition... a look I've never seen used in my direction.  Her grip tightens around her pick.  "Zon, er... wh, what are you doing?"

I had been in a good mood to see her, but now I respond carefully.  "I... wished to see whether you would like to get schlitzed?"

She stares, uncomprehending.  "You've stepped right into my mortar.  How did you not see it?"

"Oh!  I did see it, of course.  I thought it would be funny."

"...You... thought it would be funny?"

Embarassed, I take my foot out of her mortar and wipe it on the grass.  "Sheesh, I know I'm just a dabbling comedian, but I can't be that bad!"

Slowly, Asob's features calm a bit, though not completely.  At least she appears less likely to snap the handle of her pick with a mighty death grip.

"Word's been spreading that you might be losing it, Zon.  I've been worried."

"Worried?  Wait-- losing it??  I mean, sure, it's no secret I don't handle stress well, and this is been a very stressful period, but... I feel as though I'm doing okay!  Don't you?"

"ézum told everyone you struck him, and forced him to step down as mayor."

My face burns.  I had forgotten about that...  "He disrespected the honor of a hard-working dwarf, one who I hold in high regard.  He deserved it.  However, I did not pressure him to step down."

"Kib said she saw you talking to yourself."

"That... wow, that happened, like, practically on my way to see you.  I guess when a consort has nothing better to do but spread gossip, they get really good at it!"

"And nobody's seen you for ages!  It's like you disappeared off the face of the mountain, leaving us to our own devices."

"Asob, it's only been two weeks!  I've been monitoring the situation more closely than you think."

"Really.  Then I suppose you had far more pressing matters to attend to than 'The Overlord's' funeral."

".....What?  When was this??  When did 'The Overlord' die?!  How?!"

"A renowned champion died within your walls, and you really have no idea how or when it happened.  You've... forgotten about us, Zon."

"No!  Never.  I've never forgotten, Asob.  I would never--"

"Zon, please!  Let go..."

I blink, and see that I had somehow taken Asob by the wrists and was now shaking them.  "I-- I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was..."

"Zon..."

I gaze steadily at the grass, plastered to the ground by the mortar that was on my ≡giant cave spider silk sock≡, Left foot.  Kovest be damned, I'm not even wearing shoes!!  For a moment, I sympathize with the smushed and smothered blades of grass.  They must be jealous at their unmolested neighbors as they blow freely in the wind.  I shake these ridiculous thoughts out of my head.

"Asob.  I'm sorry.  I didn't realize how detached I had become.  You are... right, as you often are."

"Often?"

"Always," I say with a smirk.  "I've been trying too hard to take charge all on my own, internalizing every fault and wound the people of this place suffer.  It's time that ends.  I need your help, Asob."

"When haven't you?"  Finally, I've got her smiling again.

"So... where do we go from here?"

Asob hands me an ornately carved blank slate.  "You can start by writing 'The Overlord' his long-overdue obituary."

"Of course."  I take a deep breath to collect my thoughts.  The guilt I feel by missing something so important crushes me inside, but in a way, it is... cleansing.  Like I'm picking myself up off the ground from a missed step.  My heart feels free, and I--

"Eww, what are you writing??  Did you get a part-time job writing sappy sonnets for the elf-kids who hang out at Hot Topiary?"

I give Asob a look, and then set to writing the darn obit.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 09:28:05 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 4!) TO THE DEATH!!
« Reply #747 on: August 30, 2014, 12:43:59 pm »

20th Malachite
Zon
--

The halls reek of death.  Decay, despair, anguish.  My attempts to quell the fury of the dwarves have so far been for naught.  A thick miasma hangs in the air as the stench of rotting fish relentlessly wafts from the fisheries.

The smell goes all the way down those stairs into the lower storerooms, the main stairway interchange, and occasionally down into the metalworks facility.  It appears the miners are more interested in a hematite vein near the nobles' quarters, and nearby are designations for more rooms.  At this stage, I think we can safely say accomodating more unwanted guests is at the bottom of our priorities, so I de-designate those areas... except for that sweet, sweet hematite.  That can come first.  I forgot there are also orders for a new hallway between the main stairs and the metal stockpiles, as well as new chambers for housing new metal wares... I remove these as well to make sure those vents get dug!

Actually... on second thought, it's probably best the fisheries be moved entirely.  I halt all fishering for now and designate a new room down by... oh, let's put it near the ballistas, that's not an overly important area.  I'll still put in the vents, but then we could just extend them down south a little ways.  The goblin traps need reloaded as well, so I set the animal husbandriers to that.  Now we just need to wait for someone to get around to it...

So many residents are either stricken by melancholy or crawling around babbling.  Most of these are guards or royal guards, including champions.  Of particular note are čzum ňnulód the new mayor (Again, great job fort... seriously, good pick, 10/10, gold star, wow.) and Tekkud Lenodmeng the tax collector, who... somehow has broken both his left and right upper arms and suffered a spinal injury, is completely naked other than a fine layer of vomit and dwarf blood covering absolutely every inch of his body, and probably can't feed himself either.

My writing is interrupted as Kumil Oslanudiz, Royal Guard is throwing a tantrum.  This reminds me that our guard quotas have been dropping steadily... and we don't need the nobles getting in on the free-for-all-in-the-halls.  I fill out the remaining guard and royal guard slots with a Peasant, a Dyer, and a Potash maker.  I don't bother taking names, but the one holding the baby gets to be the royal guard.

To keep the workers busy (at least, the ones who aren't supposed to be digging my fishery vents), I set up new orders for more of the ballista fortifications and walls.

...Aaand Quietust the philosopher is helping Kumil Oslanudiz the Royal Guard break ropes and free some vicious zoo animals.  Fortunately, they're all very tame, so a wandering grizzly bear loose among the main meeting area does not appear to be a cause for immediate concern.  Quietust, not quite fully satisfied with her escapades, then decides to pick a fist fight, wanders to the barracks to see how the pros do it, and promptly falls asleep on a cot.  I'm not sure what philosophy books she's been reading... probably the preachings of Professor Macaque Dung.

Zuglar Melbiltinoth is found dead in the zoo (no, there were no grizzly bear marks found on his body), King Minkot is still throwing tantrums and breaking things, some kid jumped on a bed and broke it... our graveyard is filling up, so of course, many of the melancholy dwarves are getting that way because they're seeing their friends decaying.  Well, if they didn't have friends, they wouldn't have a problem!  I designate many more coffins and start filling in the tomb of the fire demons... after all, all this mess can be attributed to them.

Oh, good, the memorial ghost can't even spell 'greed' right.  Fine... whatever, I'm not going to correct her.  I'm wondering what's going on with those empty tombs though... they're for children, artisans, and workers.  Did Asob just dump all of those into the larger tomb as a general bucket, and then we designated it for the spirits of fire?  I didn't think we had that many casualties yet from that demon attack... Oh well.  One more thing I can't do right, what's new?

"Nuh-uh!  I bet I can shoot, like... 50 dwarves in less than a second!  Watch, I'ma do it!"

...Oh, good.  That would be the sound of Tulun Olonisden, a Marksdwarf, going berserk.  I follow the sound of his voice and the terrified shrieks of innocent lives to see... sweet Armok, he's right in the middle of the main quarters.

I grab the nearest non-insane militiadwarf available.  "Ilral!  Detain him immediately before he hurts somebody!!"

Ilral Zozmonom Zocuktharith rushes in to comply.  Out of the corner of my eye, I see Dumat Amudthob, an accomplished Axedwarf, rushing toward the scene as well.  I think she's coming to help... until I see her swing wildly at Ilral, who thankfully heard her coming and dodges the attack.

"Dumat!!  What are you doing?!"

"bAKed hAm And sAUsAge Ale!!  fOr cAve LIzArds!!"

Dumat Amudthob, Axedwarf, has gone berserk, also right in the middle of the freaking quarters. 

((DFMA)) ((MOVIE)) The commotion attracts the attention of the military (thankfully...)

In the end, Lorbam Murderedcloisters the Construct (a new title claimed by taking the life of a fellow dwarf...) kills Tulon, and Edzul Flagrough the Circumstantial Peaks takes the life of Dumat.  Onlookers are understandably upset and miserable... Things are only going to get worse from here.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 11:08:17 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 30, 2014, 01:02:23 pm »

This is still going?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 30, 2014, 01:33:29 pm »

Thankfully. Though more off than on. Still, great work! It's fun to read something about the older versions.
left eye
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54