Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 125351 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 4!) - The Finale
« Reply #765 on: February 21, 2020, 06:13:23 pm »

So, I just binge read all of this, and I have to say, Dwarf Fortress stories are inspiring. Boatmurdered, Headshoots, Syrupleaf, Spearbreakers, and many more are inspiring, they put images in my head that inspire me to create my own fantasy worlds, filled with slightly obscure references to them. But I don't think any has made me want to do that more than this story, I can feel the tightening of my heart in my chest, saying that THIS is truly an amazing work, that this story is one that inspires me to become a better write, to build better worlds, to write bigger stories. You have created something truly special here, and I'm so very happy I've been able to read it.

Wow... Thank you, so very much.  From the bottom of my heart, you have no idea how much I needed to see this.  I feel bad that I've dragged this story out for so long without giving it a proper ending, but it also serves as an example of how life tends to get between us and our passion.

For whatever inexplicable reason, Severedcoils has never left me.  It's more than just a fanfic fort I ran on a whim around a decade ago; It's also, currently, the best public example of what I can do as a writer.  The site I had originally used to get started with the craft no longer exists, and I lost all my precursor work with it.  From here, the bulk of my effort has been going into an unrelated novel, but Severedcoils frequently pops up in my mind as it's a story that happened organically, I really let myself be free to narrate whatever happens, and I can refer back to it to see how my writing has changed over the years.

In fact... I have a surprise.  I had initially stopped by specifically to post this, but your kind words have actually done me a favor and set the stage for...

Severedcoils - The Novel

I'm involved in a writing group, where I've been sharing my sci-fi novel with a small group of people for feedback during my second draft rewrite.  I'm burned out from the novel, I need a break.  Meanwhile, I'm becoming more involved in Dungeons and Dragons (yeah, hey, keep an eye out for an ALL NEW Challenge Fort coming up in the near future, I've been Katamari-balling ideas for a new type of challenge and think I'm pretty close to firm on what I want to do) and watching kruggsmash, and it's giving me ideas.  I'm still working things out, so I don't want to say any more than that - but suffice to say, Dwarf Fortress looks to be making a comeback in my life, so I hope that this means things can finally get moving so I can wrap this story up.

Again, thank you for your kind words.  You have no idea how much it means to me to be able to create an experience that can leave such an impression.  I really needed the encouragement to keep going :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 03:57:59 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 26, 2020, 05:51:49 pm »

1Ms
EWi
Zon
---

That bastard.  That rotten, cheating, manipulative...  Hmph, broke a chisel.

Minkot played me.  During his tantrums leading up to our... encounter, Minkot was seen heading into the maintenance shafts above the pit.  Sure enough, several axles have been destroyed, pulled clean out of their gear assemblies.  He must have premeditated that entire encounter.

I'm not really sure what to do now.  The king knows where I stand well enough to make a mockery of it, and yet I am too deeply implicated in his plot to seek consolation from others.  Thankfully, there's been no further aggression from the king, and he doesn't seem to have many fans around here either, so for now, there's been little but uneasy tension to speak of.

Asob has not spoken to me in months.

Time seems to be standing still.  There is much left to do to see through my designs, but it feels as though there is not much time left for me in this world.  A miasma sweeps through the fort as more and more dwarves turn to riot, and with good reason.  There is little left I can do to affect the outcome but embrace it and accept my part in it.

And even then, she probably couldn't forgive me.  I may be beyond that now.

I watch the days go by, taking idle note of the goings on of the fort's denizens.  The Noble's Shower is repaired, though frankly, I'm not sure we'll be needing it any more.  Maybe once more, depending.  The engravers are carving masterpieces in the crypts.  The soldiers are becoming more experienced.  Bukètleshal, an obsidian Bracelet, is created by the farmer Thob Vabôkshar, bearing the image of Degël Strokedchanneled, the founder of the Swift Arches in 1.  Some migrants have decided to brave this terrifying place, knowing it may be their tomb.

Heh... well, I suppose I couldn't do worse, right?  Let's see, that brings our population up to... up to... err, 135.  Huh.

I sigh as winter falls upon us.  Our food and drink stores are plentiful, as always, so it is not the winter I fear, but rather the closeness to which I must keep to my enemies in the wake of the encroaching cold. 

I can see it on their faces, every one.  They've had enough.  They aren't stupid.  They know what we're doing.  What I've done.  They turn a blind eye, because they can't bear the thought that these walls, wherein barons are murdered and the wheels of intrigue grind blood, were built with their hands.  Each and every one is complicit in the pox created by this fort.

Would that we could be cleansed from this world - to leave the old days behind, to make way for the new, to move on from this outdated game and perhaps be reborn into some new challenge.  But first, how could I possibly remove the blight of this fortress?

...Well... actually, I... no, I couldn't.  But... I would have to be at least four kinds of insane to go through with that.  I dare not commit my plans to page.

...But I begin, nonetheless, in earnest.  For redemption.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 04:03:10 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #767 on: August 28, 2020, 08:54:42 am »

I'm not sure what sort of ending you're planning for this fortress, but I trust that it will be glorious.

Any chance of posting an updated world download before the end? The last one was from Late Spring of year 209 (and was uploaded to DFFD over 10 years ago - wow, how time flies), which was before the HFS got unleashed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 29, 2020, 02:36:24 pm »

12Ms
EWi
Zon
---

I mentioned it before, but the Noble's Shower has been repaired.  I figured I should include a chiseling of the schematic, since it's been updated slightly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I... must admit, I'm not entirely sure how I put this together before, and ended up digging new channels to fit the axels where they need to go.

But... this is too small.  It's what Minkot expects.  I fear he may be plotting my demise, but then, why keep me alive this long?  It's been months since our encounter, and nothing's come of it.  It's bizarre.  It makes my skin crawl, like I know I'm being played.

That's why, if I'm to set things right and undo this mistake, I will have to outplay him.

I've had this plan in mind for a long, long time, but to be frank, I've been afraid to implement it, or even to commit it to page.  But now, as I stand facing what may very well be the brink of my own destruction... I can ignore it no longer.  I know how to set myself - and this world - free of Severedcoils forever.  I just haven't had the nerve - I've even avoided logging updates for quite some time, knowing what had to be done, just never wanting to admit it.  But... it's time.

Step one: We need to find some diamonds.

Currently, the only diamond in our fort is a large, black diamond that belongs to Kikrost Åblelthestar, our Dungeon Master.  Hm, did she bring that with her, or did she find that among our stockpiles...?  Well, no matter.  Nice as it is, it isn't what we're looking for.  Perhaps we can talk her into parting with it and using it as a set piece, though.

Hm, where do we find diamonds?  Asob would know, as head of our mining operations, but communication with her has been... spotty, at best, if at all existent.  Harumph... Well, I can't well run a fort like this, letting personal squabbles stand in the way of progress.  I will need to go talk to her and sort things out.  Not sure how much time I have left to do so, after all...

I head over to Asob's office with a bottle of strawberry wine.  I know I've used this gesture too many times for it to be effective, but to not even try would be even worse.  I take a deep breath, swallow my pride, and enter.

Asob's chamber is barren, except for one corner in which a mismatched set of armor has been placed atop an ashen chest.  An exceptional turtle shell left gauntlet, a well-crafted grizzly bear leather helm, a Steel low boot imported from Pesor Siti, a Pig tail quiver from Subetrovod, an iron shield with a superiorly designed image of many-pointed stars in grizzly bear bone, deer leather armor, and an ashen crossbow.  What an... interesting... assortment of choices.  The office is empty, but I hear noise below.

Our once-secret bunkers have, for whatever reason, been commandeered for general use by the public as storage space, despite having to walk through our offices to get there.  Zuglar Sazirzursùl, Tulon Ducimkêshshak, Cog Zocoldomas, ïteb Nicatlitast, and Kosoth Vabôkrodoldeth are all down in Asob's bunker, rummaging about for food or playing around in the furniture stockpile.  None are dwarves who I would expect to have any idea where Asob might be.

Still, I am in a bit of a hurry.  I decide to ask ïteb, a blacksmith, what she knows about diamonds.

"Oh, my, Limul," ïteb wailed to Kosoth, a cook.  "Did you smell that miasma the other day?  What was that?"

"Oh, ha ha," Kosoth laughed as she slipped her fish cleaning knife into her back pocket, "you know, I bet it was that dragon!  When's the last time anybody's cleaned that poor thing?  It just sits behind that wall of metal bars all day, I bet there's something cool we could do with that."

"We should arrange a party and brainstorm for ideas!"

"Yes, yes!  Why, it's sat there so long, I bet Zon doesn't even know what to do with it!  I bet if people just started shouting ideas and one of them was pretty cool enough, something might happen with the dragon!"

"Ahem!"  I clear my throat. 

"Oh!"  Kosoth blushed.  "'Morning, Zon!  How, err, are you this fine day?"

"Wonderful.  Certainly wondering how a dragon might fit into my plans, but I'm all ears."

"O-- oh!  Well... What are your plans?"

"Nevermind that.  ïteb!"

The blacksmith turns to me.  "Like, whaaaa?"

"Surely, you work with metals, so you must know a thing or two about where they come from, yes?  Do you happen to know where we should dig to find diamonds?"

"Huh?  Diamonds?  Like, do those look like metal to you?"

"Well, no, but metals and gems both come from the earth!  I just thought perhaps--"

"Oh, so if it comes from the dirt, it's all the same, right?  Pshh!  Zon, honey, you're killin' me."  ïteb giggled the way one would expect of somebody who actually prefers to consume Sewer brew.

"Check the gabbro layers, specifically wherever you've found kimberlite," Kosoth said.  "I think I've seen some in a few sites around level 13."

"Um... Wow, thank you, Kosoth!  How do you know so much about diamonds?"

"It's like baking," she said with a nod.  "Gems, metals, stone, it all forms under specific heats and pressures.  Like baking.  You only get bread with the right application of heat and pressure, not to mention getting the ingredients right.  Geology and baking are basically exactly one-hundred percent unequivocally the same thing and I will die on this hill, one of them just tastes better that's all."

I... think I probably nodded, or something, I'm not really sure.  I walked out of the room with my head spinning, tracked down the nearest miner, and set them to work.

If Asob has a problem with me delegating her workers... well, then she'll have to come talk to me about it.  Might not be the best way to motivate a conversation, but I can make it work.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 03:30:26 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 29, 2020, 03:03:04 pm »

I'm not sure what sort of ending you're planning for this fortress, but I trust that it will be glorious.

Any chance of posting an updated world download before the end? The last one was from Late Spring of year 209 (and was uploaded to DFFD over 10 years ago - wow, how time flies), which was before the HFS got unleashed.

Got an up-to-date save right here.  Good timing, since I'm about to make some pretty drastic changes.  This is going to evolve into a totally different challenge, and I may not reveal what that challenge is until it's set in place.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 05:27:40 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #770 on: September 01, 2020, 01:25:28 pm »

Got an up-to-date save right here.
I think you went one directory too high - it contains Severedcoils year 211, but it also contains all of the seasonal autosaves going back to the summer of year 201.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 10, 2020, 05:28:22 pm »

Got an up-to-date save right here.
I think you went one directory too high - it contains Severedcoils year 211, but it also contains all of the seasonal autosaves going back to the summer of year 201.

Thanks for the heads up - I reuploaded it and changed the original link to point to the new download.
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 30, 2020, 06:03:30 pm »

13O
MWi
Zon
---

When Minkot - the Engraver, not the king - informed me of sudden job cancellations around the diamond operation, I thought I knew right away what I would find when I went down there.  I was half-right.  Sure enough, standing amongst the kimberlite rubble which she had not ordered to be excavated was Asob, my dearest friend turned nemesis.

As she turned to face me, wearing garbs of ☼cave spider silk☼ over a layer of XX(naked mole rat leather)XX and with a look like she'd mistaken me for a chunk of ore to bury her pick into, I soon recognized this was not the same Asob I'd come to know and love.

"Well, well.  Y'know, just this morning I was sitting up in the ramparts of the North tower, sipping a warm prickle berry cider and gazing down over the fort, watching everyone go about their days and living their lives... and I noticed, just beneath me, an unfinished wall that no one had yet bothered to fix.  I looked into it and, surprisingly, there are no tasks assigned for that project."

"But, I see plenty of dwarves running out with loads of stone in hand.  A lot of it.  In fact, the stone piles behind the South Artillery are overfull.  And I wondered... Huh.  My miners and masons sure look busy, but I don't remember telling them to do... what is it you're doing here, Zon?"

"Diamonds."

"Diamonds?"  Her brow furrows.  "Whatever for?  Our economy is already the stuff of legends.  With our expertly cooked dwarven sugar roasts, there's no need even to craft much through the season to get whatever we want."

"Obviously."

Asob snapped, raising her voice.  "What's the matter with you, Zon?  You haven't spoken to me in months!  You just... you just ghosted me, and when you finally do talk to me, you completely refuse me an opening?  Do you even want to be my friend anymore?"

I... I wasn't expecting that.  The facade she'd worn to the occasion dropped almost as soon as she'd put it up.  "You-- I-- you haven't spoken to me!  I thought you hated me after--"

"After you drowned a dwarf with a dumb experiment?"

"No--"

"After you used puppies as goblin bait?"

"No--"

"After you murdered three dukes and a baron to help a king who's clearly going to dispose of you when he's done using you?"

"No--"

"After you stuffed 43 giant eagles into a single cage along with every wolf, bear, and cougar we've ever caught?"

"Okay now that's just funny."

"...Yeah, okay, granted. But."

"But what?  You're the one who decided you were done with me."

"What are you talking about?"

"I found this in the stone dump!"  I hold up the stray slate I'd found under the smashing bridge, written by Asob and dated 'Limestone (basically the whole month.)'  "What, did you up and decide I'm just too much of an inconvenience for you?  You don't even have enough respect left for me to tell me how you feel, so you just threw me in the trash?"

Asob's eyes bugged out.  "Where did you-- Zon, I've been looking everywhere for that!"

"Huh?"

"I was in the middle of writing that, but then it got swept aside somehow and I lost it.  I think somebody knocked it off my table when they were moving it aside to get to the hatch that covers the secret bunker that they're not supposed to know about but became public access anyway.  I'm happy you found it!"

I stare at the slate.  Something in my brain refuses to click into place.  "You wrote... that you thought you'd lost your friend.  I thought you threw this away because you decided you were throwing me away."

She looked like she'd been punched in the gut.  "Zon!  ...No, I couldn't do that!  Like it or not, we're friends.  That means... even if we don't like each other anymore, I'd still stick my neck out for you, because I know you'd still do it for me.  Maybe we just aren't good for each other right now, but that doesn't mean we can't be on good terms again some day."

I hear a foot shuffle.  Minkot - the Engraver, again - still hadn't left, and apparently just now realized he'd been intruding and scurries off.  "I-- I was so sure you hated me, for all the reasons you've said and more.  I didn't think you wanted me to reach out."

"You were wrong, Zon."

"I see that now.  I'm sorry, Asob."

"Yeah."  Asob sighs.  "Heh... funny how much damage a simple miscommunication can cause."

"At least we caught it though, right?  Now you don't have to be mad at me anymore!"

"Oh, yes, I can be and most certainly still am.  But if everybody turns their back on you, there would be no one left to stop you and find out why you're hurting.  That's why I, as your friend who is extremely pissed off at you, haven't yet packed my things and wished you a nice life."

I grind my teeth, trying to come up with a reply, and fail.  Her words are a relief, but a cold one.  Even though I've won one more chance I don't deserve, it comes with the sobering realization of just how close to the edge of this friendship I've come.  I may be a dubious worshipper of Kovest at best, but you bet I'm thanking her right now.

"Now, then.  Why don't you put down the tablet and tell me what you need diamonds for?"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:06:38 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 02, 2020, 09:49:26 pm »

14 Opal, 211 - by Asob Momuzzokun
=============

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaohmygod.  Oh, Asën, you were so right!  Had I not swallowed my pride and set up that confrontation, and if Zon had gone through with that... Thank you for guiding me to catch her!

Ahem.  I've sworn an oath to Zon not to repeat her original intentions, especially not in print.  We've discussed her plan - and us - at length, and decided on the following:

1. Zon is relieved of command, effective immediately.
2. Zon will retain her duties as Clerk, but as of this writing has willingly forfeit authority to make demands of the fort or its denizens.
3. Zon will retain her title and honors due to her current position, and will continue to serve the fortress in this reduced capacity until such time that we agree her judgement can be trusted again.

I won't harp on this.  Suffice to say, I will be making the next few updates, while Zon takes some time to cool off.  While her covert plans were indeed dwarfy, they were, shall we say... overly ambitious?  Sure, good enough.  We'll go with that, so I don't have to choose between "psychopathic" and "genocidal."

Still, I must admit... I do like the idea, but it can and should be scaled down quite significantly.  Maybe instead of killing everybody, it kills just one?  And it fits your stated mission, too.  We'll keep the diamond operation going.  I'm curious to see what else we find, anyway.

Not to mention, it gives me an opportunity to try out some new spells... I've kept those scrolls hidden since the last visit of Unib Tunrithlut, liaison to the old Mountain Home.  I knew Zon wouldn't approve because she doesn't trust Unib, but blast it all, Zon's done plenty herself without a care about who gets hurt. 

Besides, I'm the mayor; I've outranked her all this time already.  Why haven't I exerted that control sooner?  Ah, well.  With Zon taking a breather, now's the perfect time to do some catching-up.

The forges are getting dusty, so I commissioned a few bars of several kinds of metal to be smelted.  That should give us some freedom to craft a few novelty items.  A new golden throne for his majesty, perhaps?  Or maybe a bucket?

Thob Mörulmafol, Guard, becomes a champion!  Nice.  Seems he's, um, real good at wrestling.  Hum... oh, well that's interesting.  While I was searching for something interesting to say about Thob, I noticed we have an extremely strong, superdwarvenly tough peasant who knows how to wield a spear and already has six kills to his name.  I put Kib Oslantashem Oshotdatan on duty... maybe back on duty?  This is either a speardwarf that Zon took off duty during peacetime, or a migrant who never spoke up about his real talent and resigned himself to the comfortable life of a peasant.

...And, how odd... there's a bit of commotion in the zoo, and I look to find both the fox and the cougar we'd tied up for show have died of old age, almost at the same time.  Ominous.  We replaced the fox with a grizzly bear, and the cougar with one of its four cubs.  Yes, the cougar had a litter.  Interesting...

Speaking of fun things to put in cages... is that another sasquatch??

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 03:37:53 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 11, 2020, 06:33:15 pm »

1 Obsidian, 211 - by Asob Momuzzokun
=============

Unib Dodókimsal, Gem setter, kills a snatcher.  The increase in goblin activity is causing me to worry.  Years ago, I'd used that rune to ward this place from trouble, but I don't know... there's a chill in the air, one that cuts a bit deeper than the late winter air.  The winds are changing.

I don't just mean that in a macabre sense, either.  There are other things mentioned in Unib's scrolls that confound me.  Mention of guilds, of temples, opening ourselves up with something of a public tavern, mention of great libraries filled with tomes, some of which concerning the secrets of life and death... My heart flutters as I try to comprehend.  It seems that... the world outside of Severedcoils has been growing without us.  New advancements to social activities, workshops, military tactics, architecture, and even faith itself are being discovered all over the world.  But we, here at Severedcoils... we are, it seems, fated to be kept in the dark of such advancements.  All the better... Our grim task here, feeding a bottomless chasm the blood of nobles, is probably best left forgotten to the annals of history, and yet here we remain, our task yet incomplete. 

But... what task, exactly?  Are we still doing this whole 'noble dunking' thing?  Is this how we are to spend eternity?  No... Damn it, Zon, your idea was crazy, but you're right.  We either die a secret to all of history, or we find a way to escape this place.  And I think I know how...

But first... Mmm... Was there a duration on that ward, or not?  I'm getting worried by the fact that I'm worrying so much about it all of a sudden.  All the same, whether I'm worrying too much or not, it would be nice to be able to carry out our business without so many interruptions from thieves and ambushers.

The idea here is to route a 3-urist wide road between our ponds, which will be converted to defensive terrain.  The three furthest out will be merged together to form a moat, while the one closest to the gate will be sealed in so we can fish while under siege.  Perhaps we'll line the inner hall with bars to leave them vulnerable to our crossbow fire, or build a catwalk overhead...

Oh, let's see, what else... oh!  It looks like a solid 80% of our crossbow bolts have been sitting in a stockpile on top of the tower way, way up on the southern peaks.  And we don't have many marksmen, either... Let's divvy up this stockpile, and while we're at it, send some crossbows to each of our battlements.  We might have to throw random Recruits up there, but if there's a crossbow ready, they can be put to work immediately.

Speaking of stockpiles... Sorry, Zon, but I'm sick of walking through refuse and dead bodies every time I step outside the north face of our gate.  I've moved those waste piles down by the southern towers where they'll be out of our way... oh, but there's a lot of space underneath the front bridge!  What if we stash all our bones and other such things there?  That'll add a certain intimidating ambience to our entrance... maybe that'll help me negotiate some better prices!

Wait, what?  What's going on?

Ohh.  Right.  I also asked for more ramps to be dug out around the ponds, covering others that posed a strategic vulnerability.  Looks like they took the orders to make a new bone pile a little too seriously and are diving into the pond after some kobold bones.  I think about forbidding them, but... y'know, those ramps are working really well, and everyone going after that bone is getting valuable swimming experience - not to mention, they're finally washing off some of that blood, mud, and vom that's been caked on for how many years.

Speaking of underwater treasure... That stuff in the ponds out further west?  PRICELESS.  It seems some poor macedwarf fell in and drowned here many years ago, but no traces remain that could be used to identify this warrior.  Among the remains are a (≡«Steel helm»≡), X(giant cave spider silk dress)X (my word, what a loss deteriorating down there, all the more reason to get it out), (*«-Steel plate mail-»*), and... oh my, that's +giant bat leather armor+, from none other than Azinodos itself.  Looks like Zon's already started construction above on some sort of contraption for fishing it out of there...

I notice the mandates slipping a bit.  Apart from the two beds I commissioned, Kib Therlethzaneg wanted an idol, and Reg Erushtirist ordered three gold items and two shields.  Geez, why are all these orders stacking up--

Oh, no you don't!  "Zon!!"

"Hang on, gonna bring his head back real quick!  Right after I attend this meeting."

"Wait-- okay, yeah, yes, go right ahead, Clerk-turned-Axedwarf Zon, find this meeting first.  Then you can go kill the sasquatch."

"My meeting is with you, Mayor Asob."

"Mmm... I'm pretty sure I don't have any meetings scheduled with an Axedwarf named Zon.  I'm expecting a Clerk named Zon."

Zon stared at me, as still as if she'd died standing.  "Asob.  It's me.  We don't have to do this--"

"Sorry, Zon, I have important Clerk matters to discuss, which need not be made privy to standing military."

"Fine.  I'm a Clerk again."

"Mmmmnope.  You agreed, you no longer hold that authority!  You can't simply change your job at will."

"Okay, then I never made myself an Axedwarf!"

"You did, when you went and put on all that armor.  Now, go kill the sasquatch."

"But I have a meeting with you!"

"Yes, you don't!  Guess you'll just have to follow me until I decide you're a Clerk again."

"Whhat... Asob, come on!  This isn't funny.  It could turn out like Azinodos, the Connection of Combating!  Besides, I'd really like a sasquatch on my kill list."

"Relax, Zon!  Back then, we didn't have a military to deal with that giant bat.  This thing should be no match for us!  Besides... I've already got a plan."

With Zon in tow seeking a meeting I won't grant her, I whirl into action.  I set up two new puppy cage traps, and I call for the nearest marksdwarf.  'Tirin' is first to respond.

"Oi, wot?"

"Tirin!  Perfect.  Here, stand in front of this dog and shoot at that sasquatch.  Just once to get its attention, then get ready to run!"

Zon raised an eyebrow.  "I thought you were mad at me for getting someone killed!"

"I said just once!  Cease fire!"

"...It'll live, right?  Can someone hurry and go build a cage next to it?  See if it maybe rolls over into it?

"Oi!  'At's a 'squatch for my kill list 'ere, 'i'nt it?"

"Yeah, Tirin.  It is.  Good for you."  Zon drops her axe and goes back to being a Clerk.
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #775 on: October 11, 2020, 09:49:16 pm »

There are other things mentioned in Unib's scrolls that confound me.  Mention of guilds, of temples, opening ourselves up with something of a public tavern, mention of great libraries filled with tomes, some of which concerning the secrets of life and death... My heart flutters as I try to comprehend.  It seems that... the world outside of Severedcoils has been growing without us.  New advancements to social activities, workshops, military tactics, architecture, and even faith itself are being discovered all over the world.  But we, here at Severedcoils... we are, it seems, fated to be kept in the dark of such advancements.  All the better... Our grim task here, feeding a bottomless chasm the blood of nobles, is probably best left forgotten to the annals of history, and yet here we remain, our task yet incomplete. 

But... what task, exactly?  Are we still doing this whole 'noble dunking' thing?  Is this how we are to spend eternity?  No... Damn it, Zon, your idea was crazy, but you're right.  We either die a secret to all of history, or we find a way to escape this place.  And I think I know how...

Oh, I'm definitely curious to see which direction this goes...

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

18 Obsidian, 211 - by Asob Momuzzokun
=============

This year's winter feels a mite more bitter than last.  Something's in the wind, but I can't quite put my nose on it.  Well... that's probably because of all the goblin corpses from all those ambushes we had earlier this winter.

The workers have been busy re-organizing; As stated, bones and similar non-rotting waste are being tossed under the bridge for ambience, and our new refuse stockpiles are down by the southern ballista battery.  Speaking of, I see our sasquatch currently being hauled off to be butchered-- wait a sec.

...Hang on, just one second.  Down to Zon's office we go.

"Zon?"

"Yes, Asob?"

"What, pray tell, are all these designations doing around the front of the fort?"

"Defenses."  Zon says coolly, her thumb rubbing a *rhesus macaque bone idol.*  "I followed 'Archibold' around all winter trying to arrange a meeting with her, and when she was finally tired of beating the snot out of our guards, we came up with this design for a gatehouse.  Three entries, independently controlled so we can set our level of security to match our comfort level.  That lower-left entry sees the most activity, but obviously we should only use that one when we're feeling our safest."

"What- No, that's the gatehouse I started!  I'm talking about that contraption on top of the wall, on the second story."

"What contraption?"

*CRUNCH*

"Zon!  What did you--"

"Ah-ah!  No, see, I started that project before we made that deal, so this one was grandfathered in!"

"What.  Did.  You--"

"Shut up and look!  And be amazed."

Zon lead me into the barracks, to the room just north of it, and just south of the newly founded guardhouse.  This had always been an empty space, but now, a neatly punctured hole ran from the ceiling through the floor.  Beneath the floor was a pit 8 urists deep, quickly filling with water from the ponds outside.

Before I could reply, Zon was already giving orders to the nearest mason: "Use that big block of Jet we've been saving, and the *giant cave spider silk* rope... We have an artifact milk quartz bucket?  'Bukithborik' the bucket?  'Turmoiltrenches,' eh?  Yeah, use that, and throw in a statue and a *cave spider silk* restraint, too.  Let's make a small zoo out of this spot!  Might be better to have the workers gather up here than way down underground, anyway."

I glared at Zon.  But... what can I even say?  It feels... it feels right, somehow.  Like something we're definitely going to be needing soon.

"I don't know what you're up to, Zon," I say at last.

She waits for me to say more.  I don't.  Finally, she responds, "Me neither, Asob.  It just felt like a good idea at the time."

I nod slowly.  "Well.  Run those good ideas by me first, will you?"

"Fine, whatever."  Zon throws up a hand in farewell and walks away.

Hm... We'll just have to see how this pans out, then.  Meanwhile, I see some Engravers looking for something to do.  Can't hurt to smooth out the main entry halls, might as well keep everyone busy until spring.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 04:56:08 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

2nd Granite, 212, Early Spring
Severedcoils 2:
The 2eckoning

by Unib 2nruthlit

Hoo hoo!  Today is a wonderful day for Severedcoils, for Spring has arrived.

My spy reports that the Asënite has taken command.  'Twould explain her uncanny timing, getting those defensive structures in place.  Just like with that dragon, getting those cage traps up just in time - it's almost as if she already knows there's a siege coming.  How peculiar.

Speaking of peculiar... Nelare Fedíofe Fonenelare, "Flickersizzles the Glowing Silvers."  My, what a name!  And yet, here lies this magnificent waste of a beast, biding its time behind bars and beneath bedsores... Hoo, I should become a writer!  Perhaps I could inspire our good little mayor to do something interesting with the thing.

Anyhoo.  These maps arrived just in time for me to cram them into the archives, before the Flashstones are decommissioned next month.  Now, let's see here... Why would Asob have commissioned this new gatehouse... Surely, she has no supernatural ability to predict calamity, and is instead preparing because... she has something to hide?  Hm, that new well runs... 5, 6, 7, 8 levels deep, not bad--

Wait.  Down here, what is that...

Kimberlite... Bone opal... those purple marks, that could only be pitchblende... and Zon wants diamonds?

...It can't be.  These are all the necessary ingredients.  But how could she know to do this?  This is... this is all coincidence, right?  It all adds up, though.  But-- How can this be?

...Ah, yes.  The Asënite.  Of course.  I did not expect Zon to give up her post so easily, though to be fair, she never really wanted to command in the first place.  That was the good Mayor Obok's handiwork.  So, with Asob now in charge, that probably means she isn't going to follow through with the fort's mission.  I don't trust this one to keep her mouth shut.  That's good for me...

Sooo... I think it's high time we call in a few favors.  I can't slow Asob down with propaganda, and she's already preparing for sieges... There's only one thing left to throw at Severedcoils, something that will bring them to their knees...

YES.

Hoo hoo hooo!  Good luck with that, Asob.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 01:58:32 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

Oh, you could certainly do worse than that - you could've set [ZERO_RENT:NO] as well...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 07:18:51 am by Quietust »

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, you could certainly do worse than that - you could've set [ZERO_RENT:NO] as well...

Thought about it, but even those 1x2 rooms are mostly masterwork-engraved.  That's endgame material right there
Do it.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54