Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 124134 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Things are starting to take shape for the next phase of the story...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

20 Slate, Mid-Spring, 212 - by Asob Momuzzokun
=============

It's been a while since I've had a minute to take stock of things.  Let's see how we're doing...

Our population has stabilized at 135.  There don't seem to be too many dwarves throwing tantrums anymore, but our drinks are awfully low.  The military could use a few recruits as well.  Would you look at that, we have idlers!  I give pause to this for now, though.  First, let's finish checking in.

The final mechanisms are being put in place on our triple-drawbridge gatehouse.  Looks good!  Theoretically, we could use the drawbridges to lead our enemies through a line of marksdwarf fire.  To that end, we have the catwalks up above!

Ah-- wait a minute... Yep, Sigun Kekimustuth the Armorer and Kib Kithìnzaneg the Hunter got themselves trapped behind the walls they built.  Silly, why didn't they think of where they needed to go after they were done?  Now we have to deconstruct them to get them out.

Getting out... My thoughts again are turned towards the scrolls left in my care by Unib Tunruthlit.  I didn't get to speak with her on her way out, but when I entered my office, I found her scrolls neatly placed upon my desk.  No note, no instructions, weird stuff.  They seem to be "spells," supposedly from a time when there was "magic."  I dunno, I always thought this stuff was kid's book material.  Then again, I can't deny the effects of that incantation that cracked the pit open.  Heh, and Zon used to tell me I'd teleport everywhere.  That hasn't happened in a long time... but, what if...

...Hm, you know who might know about this?  Someone who deals with exotic beings - and we happen to have an expert in-house!

It's a bit of a long shot, sure... The Dungeon Master specializes in exotic animals.  Still, it seems like something that would be within her wheelhouse.  I seek her out and-- oh, great.

"For the last-- I mean, sire, being a 'Dungeon Master' doesn't mean I maintain a fort's dungeons."  Kikrost is making a plaintive gesture.

"Well why not?"  King Minkot had been ecstatic lately, having made a new friend, so his tantrums are thankfully a thing of the past.  For now.  However, that doesn't change the fact that he's king, so...

Kikrost took a deep breath.  "Well for starters, we don't have a dungeon.  For seconds, that's the Captain of the Guard's duty."

"'Legon' is not getting out of her bed.  Someone needs to build me a dungeon so my guards have something to do.  Ah!  Here is Asob, now."  The King waves me over.  "Hello, Mayor Asob!  Kikrost was just looking for you to commission a new project.  Why don't you two settle the details?"

With a whirl of his x(Pig tail dress)x, Minkot left the meeting hall.  Kikrost turned to me and sighed.

"Ugh.  So, you get all that?"

"I did, but we can deal with that in a minute."  I hesitate - Kikrost's occupation had just been mistaken before my eyes.  Am I about to repeat that very same mistake?

"What are you chiseling?"

"Hm?  Oh!  Sorry, that's just the fortress logs."  I've gotten pretty good at writing in real-time like Zon did.  "I wanted to ask if you'd had any knowledge of... spells?"

"Spells?"  Kikrost's eyes turned wide.  "What kind of spells?"

"You know, like... in kid's stories... nevermind, this is probably a dumb question."

"No, no no!"  Kikrost looked around the room.  "Please, let's speak of this in private.  Such matters are not fit for public eye."  She frowned at the journal.  "And certainly not appropriate to be chiseled into slate."

"I see... I have something I'd like to show you, but it must be kept between us.  Can you do that?"

"All the more reason to retreat to my chambers.  Come, let's grab some wine on the way."

I have agreed not to record our conversation directly, but I will be allowed to summarize if I am very brief.  I'm going to set the journal down now so I may treat with Kikrost.  Let's see where this leads...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 08:55:57 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

25 Slate, Mid-Spring, 212 - by Asob Momuzzokun
=============

Kikrost's information was intriguing.  But first, some updates before I forget:

'Derm' was complaining of not having enough to do.  The prioritized workshops are working a little too well - a lot of Zon's managed declarations go to the workshops nobody is capable of working.  I don't feel like re-prioritizing them, not that it's really necessary.  Instead, I fill the unprioritized workshops with requests for armor to train up our armorers.

We're starting to get some coinage flowing around the fort, so naturally, there needs to be space to spend it!  I commission a market square and let the dwarves take their pick of the stones.  We should see some interesting colors to advertise their wares!

Okay, so spells and such!  I double-checked to make sure this was fine to write, and Kikrost said if I absolutely felt it necessary I could.  She just wasn't comfortable being recorded.  Long story short, Kikrost has reason to believe that the tales are true - that magic once danced in the light, but we chose to close our eyes and pray.  She fervently believes that the scrolls I have could be made to work, with the right components.  And a source of magic.  Hrmph.  As if I could just find something like that lying around.

...Like Quietust did.  Right?  Literally found a bone on the ground and it talked to her?  That's magic, right?  Huh... maybe I'll go--

"Asob!  Look, over the hill!  Migrants!  I count 23 of 'em"

"23??  That's so many!"  I turn and-- oh.  Oh, no...

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 08:41:23 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils (40d) - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5!)
« Reply #783 on: August 01, 2021, 10:05:45 am »

1 Felsite, Late-Spring, 212 - by Asob Momuzzokun
=============

"No, no, not this again!"  Zon wails.  "Asob, why are you doing this?"

"Hang on," I say coyly.  "Just let me place... this brick... right... about... here... just... a little more... to the left... almost..."

"Asob, for Kovest's sake!  Why did you call me to a meeting if you're not going to meet with me?  Now I have to follow you around all day watching you work.  For like... the fifth day in a row."

"You know exactly why."

Zon sighs.  "Rimtar Ingishzuglar, our latest Duchess.  I presume that's why you've leashed me in with your... your red tape, and your... bureaucracy restraints, and..."

"Are you done?"

"C'mon, Asob!  We've done this whole 'beleaguered friendship' bit to death already.  I know you'll get mad at me and probably never speak to me again if I do in the duchess."

"Wha?" Domas Zonamnek, a nearby peasant, overhears!

"I said move in the duchess.  Yes, you.  Are the grand quarters ready?"

"A-- almost!  We just need to put in a door!"

"And the crypts?"

"We just need to put in the crypts!  I mean the caskets!  ...And doors!"

"Ugh, how'd we fall behind this season... Oh, right, I'm not in charge."

"Yeah, Zon, you're not in charge!"  I stamp my foot down.

Domas looks between us.  "Sssooo... what do you guys want me to--"

"Just do everything she said!"

"Yikes!  And awaay--"

Zon snaps her fingers.  "Shoot!  I should've told her to assign Inod Irtirdegël, the new tax collector to her quarters."

"And... where are those exactly?"

"Right where Tekkud's was, in the... in the, um..."

"...Zon, where was Tekkud's office?"

"Uhhh oh!  We stuck him down in that room with the groundhog bone cabinet."

"You mean that room that's on the way to the shower??"

"Uh... Uh, yeah, wait, is that right?  How did he never ask about it?"

"That can't be right!  Where's the dining room and sitting room?"

"...Asob, where did we put our last tax collector??"

"Don't worry about it!  Actually, there's some space down near the offices anyway.  I had some space dug out for a possible prison, but it's just the right size for modest quarters... maybe with a bit of smoothing."

"I thought I wasn't allowed to give orders?"

"Yes-- that's right, we haven't had our meeting yet."

"Aw come on, that wasn't it?"

"Nope.  Not letting you out of my sight.  No noble dunking today."

Zon makes a big production about letting out a big, heavy sigh.  She sticks her toe in my mortar.

"Zon!"

"What?"

"Ugh.  Fine.  Let's have our meeting then.  I wanted to tell you a bit about what Kikrost told me."

"The Dungeon Master?"

"The same.  I showed her... you have to keep this between us--"

"Unib's scrolls?"

"...Yes, how did you--"

"Because I put those scrolls on your desk."

"What!  How did you--"

"She left them behind.  I set them on your desk so you could give them back to her next time she was here, since you're the mayor and all.  You read them?  Nosey!"

"Zon, how could you-- why didn't you leave a note?"

"Why did you assume you could have them?  C'mon, you already went through them, what was on them?"

"Well, many of them seem to contain spells, though we don't know what they are.  Kikrost thinks she can translate them, so I've left them with her for now.  But, Unib also left this..."

"Oh, neat!  A layout of all the civs of the World of Typhoons.  The goblins have really messed things up in the North West, huh?"

"It's incomplete.  Look at all the empty areas.  So much space, and nobody living there?"

"Uh, yeah Asob, they're called 'the wilds' for a reason."

"Zon, how much of the world have you seen?"

"Of the world?  ...Not a lot, a few fortresses among Subetrovod, I'm sure the same as you."

"And we've spent the last twelve years out here in the wilderness, cut off from civilization!"

"Well, I wouldn't say we're 'cut off,' I mean, we do get caravans."

"But none of us have ever left!  Kikrost says there are other civilizations out there.  They've only made contact within the last several years, but we've been out here all this time, missing out on current events."

"You're hearing this from somebody who admires satyrs for their woolly legs."

"What's wrong with that?"

"It means she's filling your head with stories!  Besides... we don't need more civilizations poking their heads about.  The less attention Severedcoils gets, the better."

We are interrupted by King Minkot as he's walking beneath the construction site.  "Ho, up there!  You two look awfully busy!  Aren't you forgetting something?"

Zon and I look at each other.  "Nnooo, we were just... coming up with a plan."

The king chuckled, even as his gaze turned dark.  "Well, don't bother, for I have an announcement to make:"

"It would seem the Duchess's faith was lacking.  Oh, and next year, I'd better not have to get my own hands dirty, or it'll be you who's pulling the lever next."
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 10:30:01 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 02, 2021, 12:09:09 pm »

11 Felsite, Late Spring, 212 - by Asob Momuzzokun
=============

3 bronze items, 3 thrones, 2 chests, 2 gauntlets, 1 idol, 1 golden door in Kib's dining room, 1 pitchblende door installed next to Minkot's bed...

The nobles' quarters are expanded to include a new set of rooms for our... next year's guests.  Next, these will be smoothed and engraved, just as soon as we finish construction of...

The guardhouse crenellations!  Which, it looks like we just about have.  Let's get those couple of suspended walls taken care of, and... alright, so we've got some engravers freed up!  Let's put them to use.

"Asob!"  Kikrost requests a meeting with me in the new meeting area, by the artifact well installed next to the barracks.  "C'mere, you're gonna want to hear this!"

I file in with some strawberry wine in a freshly minted bronze goblet.  "Is it about the scrolls?"

"Indeed!  I've had some luck with some of the translation.  As suspected, most if not all of these require additional components in order to cast.  They aren't easy to come by - some of these require the use of rare artifacts from far away lands to properly channel their energy."

"But we don't know how to send an away team!  And even if we did, our military's looking a little thin since the last raid.  I don't think we could spare the dwarfpower."

"One of these spells is called 'ESCAPE.'  It requires the most ingredients, and the hardest to come by.  I need more time to determine what exactly it does, but it seems to be some form of teleportation spell."

"Pfff."  Zon balks.  "What a crock."

"Zon!  Where did you come from?"

"I was standing right here, didn't you see me when you walked in?"

"Ah, ha ha... no, I guess not."

Kikrost continues.  "But before that, I have one reasonably well-translated that we could try with components we have right here in house!  It's called 'FORTUNE.'  All we need is some strawberry wine--"

"Hey!  I have that right here!"  I raise my bronze goblet.

"--and a large gem of high value."  Kikrost procures from her robes her black diamond, a twenty-sided cut crystal the size of her fist.  She drops the diamond into my goblet.

"Hey!  I was drinking that!"

"Now all we need is a focus of arcane power, of course."

"A what?"

"Yes, see, here's the thing... none of this stuff is going to work.  We need something that'll channel arcane energy before any of this starts to move."

I hesitate, then withdraw the human left index finger bone I found in the pits.  "Will this work?"

Zon backs away.  "Uhhh, hey Asob, what's that?"

"Quietust used a bone from the pit to generate the power needed to cast that 'clean up' spell, right?"

"That's what I thought..."

Before she can protest, the bone glows a ghastly blue color.

"Yes, that's perfect!  Hold it right there!"  Kikrost holds up the scroll, and says something in a tongue I've never heard before.  All of a sudden, the diamond starts rotating in the cup, churning the wine as it picks up speed.

"What's happening?!"  Zon looked as though her eyes were about to pop out of her head.

Eventually, the spinning slowed, until the diamond was rotating with one of its sides flat upwards.  Inside the black diamond appears to be a light source, and... my goodness!  An image is appearing inside the gem!  An image of... an apple?

Kikrost's jaw dropped.  "I think I know what that is.  There was a particular apple mentioned in the components of the 'ESCAPE' spell... I would need to do more research..."

"So, the 'FORTUNE' spell can help us find the rare spell components for the 'ESCAPE' spell, huh?"  I stroke my beard, ruminating.

"Escape to where, though?" Kikrost wondered.

"Who cares?  As long as it's not here!"  Zon finally seemed to be interested in the scrolls.

"But how will we get them?  Like I said, our military is somewhat small for the size of the sieges we've been getting.  Can we afford to send an away team?"

"I have a better idea," said Kikrost.  "With your permission, allow me to send a message via giant eagle to Bujit Quispeptamed, the Human Guild Representative from Pesor Siti, to hire an away team of adventurers to find these artifacts and bring them to us."

"The humans?"  I ask.  "Why them?"

"Because I'd rather not draw Unib Tunruthlit's attention while we're playing with her magic," Kikrost says bluntly.  "Also, not all who respond may be human.  Pesor Siti has recently opened itself to the Free Folk."

"The who?"

"To the north, there are civilizations recently discovered of species we've never encountered.  The Confederacies of Targeting has welcomed them with open arms.  There's a huge variety of 'em, so we just call them the Free Folk since they've been beyond our realm all this time."

"Eesh," said Zon.  "I really don't feel comfortable opening this place up to any random adventurer, especially from civilizations we've never met.  Can you make this request discreet?"

"Sure, I can ask them to put a cap on the number of applicants.  We could have them here by summer."

"I dunno, I still don't like--"

"Do it, Kikrost!"  I say with a nod.  "If we do nothing, then nothing changes.  We could use a little help from outside."
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:50:15 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #785 on: August 02, 2021, 12:26:55 pm »

Eventually, the spinning slowed, until the diamond was rotating with one of its sides flat upwards.  Inside the black diamond appeared to be a light source, and... my goodness!  An image is appearing inside the gem!  An image of... an apple?
So, he managed to invent the Magic 8 Ball?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 12, 2021, 10:52:04 pm »

Is this still in 40d?
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #787 on: August 13, 2021, 07:58:14 am »

Is this still in 40d?
How could it be anything other than 40d? Upgrading to a newer version isn't possible, after all, and it's clearly the same fortress as before.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 16, 2021, 09:42:17 am »

Yes, this is still vanilla 40d.  I'm taking a lot of liberties with the narration as I add a new layer to this challenge - one that will force me onto a guaranteed update pace for the story, and will lead to a long overdue conclusion.  Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:54:18 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils (40d + 5e) - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5)
« Reply #789 on: August 16, 2021, 10:28:23 am »

12 Hematite, Early Summer, 212 - by Asob Momuzzokun
=============

I sat down in the main meeting hall for breakfast this morning, and beneath my table I saw this:

What a lovely way to start the day.  Ugh, I can feel them crawling on me just thinking about those little pests!  Comfy trousers, though.

After breakfast, Zon and I meet with Kikrost again in the barracks well house.

"Look here!" Kikrost wastes no time, obviously excited with her discoveries.  "I found another map in a different scroll case.  This one has the goblin and kobold civilizations removed, so it's easier to see the civilized folk.  But-- look there, north of Pesor Siti!"

"'The Free Folk...' Zon says, "That's the new civilization you mentioned last time we spoke, correct?"

"Indeed.  It's a confederation of multiple races living together under a common set of laws."

"That's fascinating," I say.  "It would be so wonderful to meet such people from another land.  Perhaps some of them will answer your call."

"I have more good news!"  Kikrost shuffles parchment around.  "I have translated another scroll that we could try with components we have right here in house.  It's called 'VISITORS.'  All we need is some strawberry wine--"

"Hey!  I have that right here!"  Once again, I happen to be holding a goblet of strawberry wine right this very moment as I write.  Please do not think too much into this.

"--and some longland grass!  Oh, and a focus of arcane power, of course."

"Yeah, yeah."  I feel the finger bone from the demon pit in my pocket.  "Let's go look for some of that grass."

Zon and I move toward the farms.  It's early in the season, but already a small patch has grown well enough to be harvested.  "Just in time... just like I happened to have the wine on me.  Almost like it can't be coincidence..."

"Oh, please.  You're surprised we had two common ingredients handy?"

"Already handy.  We happened to already be at the farm, and I happened to be thirsty.  It's like the events were set in motion well before they happened."

"Whatever, let's go rub these on your dead finger or whatever and see what happens."

Before it's even fully out of my pocket, the bone glows a ghastly blue color.  The sheaf of grass shrivels and my goblet of wine dries up.

"A human caravan from Pesor Siti has arrived!" A shout from above the wall alerts us to the humans' timely approach.

Zon stammered, "That... that's just lucky timing!  It's early summer, time for the caravan to get here anyway.  Big whup!"

"Hey, you two might want to get out here and see this!"  Kikrost calls us from the meeting room.

We enter, and see Kikrost holding the door open to watch the caravan go by.  I spot them immediately - among the wagons is an unusual group of people dressed like they're ready for adventure.  I see a pair of humans - one is clearly a minstrel by the lute on his back, the other dressed in robes and carrying a tome - oh, wait, there's a third, I almost missed him as he seems to be blending in with the shadows.  But, there are some beastmen among them - a mouseman, a catman, and a ferocious looking lizardman, wielding an axe, a crossbow, and a sword and shield respectively.  Lastly, there is one among them covered head to toe in some interesting looking plate armor - His face is completely obscured by a metal helm, so I cannot tell whether he's human or something else.

"...Visitors!  Welcome to Zursulbalad!"

Spoiler: "OOC" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:01:42 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 16, 2021, 06:50:58 pm »

Is this still in 40d?
How could it be anything other than 40d? Upgrading to a newer version isn't possible, after all, and it's clearly the same fortress as before.
Hey, it’s possible that the original challenge had ended and you were using a newer version, and some convoluted definition of ‘consort’.
The screenshots aren’t loading for me, and there’s no particular clue in the narration, so how am I to tell?
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils (40d+5e) - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5)
« Reply #791 on: August 18, 2021, 01:35:34 pm »

12 Hematite (cont.), Early Summer, 212 - by Asob Momuzzokun
=============

The adventurers step off the wagon as they see me wave to them.  Seven in total, they gather around.

"Thank you so much for coming!"  I see no reason to hide my excitement!  "We don't get visitors such as yourselves around these parts.  Our fortress is so far beyond the borders of our civilization, we don't hear much of current events in the world.  Are you from the Free Folk?"

The lizard man - who, up close, looks an awful lot like a muscular red-scaled dragon - speaks first.  "Aye, we Free Folk made contact with Pesor Siti nigh a few years ago.  We're separated by land bridge, but our borders are currently open to each other.  My name is Sergei Bloodscale.  I come South to look for work, don't mind the travel."

The bard, fair haired and strapped with a lute, drums, and a violin at least from what I'm able to see, chimes in.  "I'm Edward.  Alefgard and I hail from Goodcherishs of Pesor Siti.  We decided it's time to explore and see the world.  Isn't that right?"

He gives his companion Alefgard a nudge - a gray-robed man with a skullet, holding an old tome.  "We're at your service," he says abruptly, shifting uncomfortably under scrutiny of attention.  Seems shy, this one.

Lurking behind the pack, I catch notice of the cloaked man in the back, attempting to blend in with the shadows.  The sun is angled just right so that, even with his hood up, I'm able to see his pointed ears.  It seems I was mistaken about him being human!

"Oh!" I say, "We have an elf, too, I see!"

"Half," the shady man says.  "I'm a half-elf."

"Wha-- they do that??"

"Uh, yeah.  I'm Zumies.  I became a thief because everyone picks on me for being half-elf, and I never really fit in at home.  I spend a lot of time on the road - hasn't been easy finding a home among either the humans or the elves, so this is the only life I know."

"I thought I smelled somethin' seedy."  The small, cute, adorable cat-like creature speaks with a grating drawl.  "Why'd you have to bring your bad half with ya, elf?"

The man dressed head to toe in armor stands placidly in the back.  He reeks.  There are flies buzzing around his head.  No introductions necessary my good sir, please may I introduce you to this lovely pond you may bathe in.

"Wot's all this then?"  Archibold strolls in from the barracks yard and takes a look at our new visitors.  "So, you think you're tough enough to take on work for Severedcoils?  Ha!  Why don't you puny weaklings step into the ring and show us what you got?"

"Sergei," the mouse person says to the lizard man.  "Throw me."

Without hesitation, the lizard picks up the mouse and throws him at Archibold!  Archibold raises Kobembetan, the artifact buckler, in time, and the mouse lands on it with two daggers out at Archibold's throat.

"Ready when you are," he says.

Archibold laughs.  "Well!  That was quite an impressive move.  Perhaps you do have what it takes!"  Archibold nods with approval.

"If we're all done fooling around," Kikrost says, "I'd like to get into the details of your first mission.  Let's retire to my chambers - I'll give you a tour on the way down."

As we enter the fort proper, the party looks in awe at the pit of bones in the bridged entryway.  Sergei notices Nelare, the dragon, peering at him through the arrow slits.

"Oi, is that a dragon there?  What's it doing chained up by your gate?"

"Oh, that's Nelare Fedíofi Fonenelare!  She tried to attack our fort once, but Zon got up some cage traps just in time and she walked right in!"

"I tamed her myself," said Kikrost.

"You tamed her?"  Sergei looked distraught.  "This is... unnatural."

"She knows 'paw' and 'roll over!'"

"We don't have time for that right now," I interject. I can tell this... lizard man... is he a dragon man?? is getting uncomfortable.  "Come, let's go."

We stop at each floor briefly, showing the grounds to our new guests.  We hurry past the well room before Minkot notices us.  Once in Kikrost's chambers, she withdraws her black diamond from her cloak, and the scroll for the 'FORTUNE' spell.

"Asob, your wine?"

I sigh.  Some day, I will get to enjoy my wine without it being commandeered as a magical implement.  As before, she drops the diamond into my bronze goblet.  I pull out the finger bone, and it begins glowing the instant it's out of my pocket.  The wine churns as the gem spins, until at last it reveals the image of the apple once again.

"Each year, a pack of goblins show up at the town of Oakhurst selling a magic apple.  Supposedly, the apple has healing properties, but the goblins are fiercely protective of their enterprise.  Each time the seeds are planted, the goblins come and steal the saplings as they're starting to grow.  We need one of those apples, so we want you to get there just ahead of the solstice and take it from those dirty goblins!"

The group just sort of stood around for a while.  "You want us to rob the goblins?" Alefgard looked suspicious.

Zon spoke up.  "They're goblins.  If you saw how often they attacked here, and their numbers, and saw all the dwarves they kill on a yearly basis, you might have a little less empathy for them.  Either way, I doubt this village really enjoys being next to a goblin settlement."

"Hey, you justify it however you want," the cat person says, "we'll go steal your apple or whatever."

"Err, I'm sorry kitty," I say, "I'm not sure I caught your name."

"Space Pants."

"...Come again?"

"I said 'Space Pants,' that's my name."  Space Pants pulls out a handful of catnip and snorts it.  "There, much better.  Anyway I'm a sorcerer, have fun with that."

"I am Bubb."  The fully armored man suddenly speaks, with an odd, grating, buzzing, metallic voice.  "I am cleric.  You are safe with me."

"...'Kay.  Um, Kikrost, where is Oakhurst?"

"To the Northwest, on the south side of the mountain range between The Coastal Kingdoms and The Wayward Twigs.  It'll take about 21 and a half days to get there, but we will provide for your travel expenses."

"Do we get any spending money to prepare with?"  Edward the bard asks.

"Sure," Kikrost says, pulling out a sack of coins.  "Here's 150g for each of you."

What-- "Kikrost, where did you get that?  We've only just started an economy!"

"Right, we just minted all these gold coins!  And now they can go and spend them at the shops."

I forgot that dungeon masters like to work in the forges.  She must have pulled the coins straight out as they were minted.  "F-- fine.  Let me show you to the markets so you can get yourselves prepared."

I lead the band of adventurers upstairs to our freshly built market square.  All of them head towards the general store, where 'Skuorgs' seems to have a collection of healing potions in stock... wait, healing whats?  Is that from some kind of plant extract?  I don't remember having anything like that available...

Sergei takes a liking to our fine dwarven crafts.  He purchases a talc bracelet with hanging rings of grizzly bear leather.

The bard comes up to me and asks, "Where can we get a drink around here?"

"Oh!  The meeting hall is right upstairs, in the room with all the levers.  Please, don't touch the levers."

As the party leaves the market, I see Skuorgs frantically counting his money, and then counting his health potions.  He seems to be missing one, or miscounted his money during his transactions.  Hmm...

Up in the meeting hall, Edward and Alefgard seem to have gotten themselves into the Sewer Whiskey, of all things.

"C'mon, Alef!  Don't be a baby, you can do it."

"It smells awful!" Alefgard complains.  "And it looks like greywater.  People drink this?"

"If they're not cowards!" Edward slaps his friend on the back.  "Bottoms up!"

Alefgard sighs, and raises his mug.  No sooner does the Sewer Whiskey touch his lips does he spew it all over the table.

"Mmm.  Let me get that for you."  Bubb sits down next to Alefgard, picks up the rest of the Sewer Whiskey, and dumps it over his head.  He then proceeds to smear Alefgard's vomit all over his face.  More flies appear, buzzing happily around the smelly mess he's made of himself.

Space Pants buys a drink for Zumies.  Space Pants spills the drink onto Zumies's lap.  Space Pants does catnip.

Almost as soon as they arrived, they're on their way again, off to find us a magic apple that might lead us to a way out.  I'm just glad they didn't ask too many questions, or stick around long enough to suspect anything funny going on around the fort.  I'm sure Zon will feel better knowing these people are only interested in making a profit, and don't seem to be in any danger of sticking their noses where they don't belong.  For now, at least.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 10:10:22 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 20, 2021, 07:30:53 pm »

26th Hematite, Early Summer, 212 - By Asob Momuzzokun
=============

It will be some time before our adventurers return.  By this time next month, I'd wager.  They really didn't stick around long, so eager were they for the chance at treasure.  That's for the best, though.  As Zon says, the less attention we get, the better.  Still, it wouldn't hurt to expand our markets a bit - they seemed to enjoy spending their time and money there the most.  I wonder what the 'ESCAPE' spell does... if it gets us away from this cursed place and out of Minkot's reach, all the better.

The gatehouse is finally, totally compl-- oh, what's that??

A thief sneaks around the upper levels of the gatehouse!  There's no one around to stop him.  Fortunately, he is spooked by a groundhog and runs away harmlessly.  Anyway, the gatehouse is done!

I'm looking for things to trade with Pesor Siti and... Where are all of our sugar roasts?  We must have forgotten to restock since last year.  Well... We still have pages upon pages of narrow equipment left from previous raids, so it matters little.  I take every metal bar they have available (which is quite a lot, and a wide variety too - perfect for keeping those needy nobles at bay), bags of dye and seeds, and a bronze whip.  Not sure if anybody will use it, but might be fun to have around.

I dedicate resources to building barrels and brewing drinks.  Our drink stocks start to rise - good, we were getting scary low for a bit there.  Meanwhile, the next duke consort's chambers are coming along well - two rooms smoothed, engraving started, and most of the furniture put in place.  We should be all set for next year.  Assuming we'll be here to see another duke...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 05:34:44 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 28, 2021, 03:42:14 pm »

2 Malachite, Mid Summer, 212 by Asob Momuzzokun
-------------

I treat with Kikrost Åblelthestar for an update on our adventuring party.  We've learned that the 'FORTUNE' spell has been tuned to our quest, so now whenever we cast it, we can get a peek at what the party is doing!  As before, we drop her black diamond into a goblet of strawberry wine, and with a light from within, an image forms inside the diamond.  Here is what it's showing us now:

By now, they should almost be to Oakhurst, and from there just another day or two away from retrieving that apple.  It looks like they were stopped along the road by some goblins, who made a makeshift fort out of an overturned wagon.  It seems our heroes had no trouble infiltrating the base and clearing the den.  Hm, looks like not everyone was there, though...

Zon bursts in halfway to a rampage.  "Asob!  I can't find my journal anywhere.  Have you-- oh, of course, you have it."

"Zon, you haven't held this journal in months!  I take it you're not adjusting well to giving up command..."

"Ugh, no, it's not that!  I don't care about running the place.  I'm kinda glad that's off my back, to be honest.  But I feel... empty... without being in charge of some kind of project.  You know what I mean?"

"I do."  I take a look around.  With the guardhouse complete, I count around a dozen idlers milling about, threatening to throw parties and get chummy with one another.

"If I were to give you a project--"

"A tavern!"  Zon doesn't let me finish.  "I want to build a tavern.  Outside the walls.  When those adventurers were in our meeting hall drinking Sewer Whiskey - why, of all things - each of them were but a few paces away from ALL of the fort's levers.  What if they had turned on the magma trap?  Or flooded the mist generator?  I'm astonished none of them took an interest - especially that cat thing!"

"It's called a Felis," Kikrost interjects.  "One of many races that live among the Free Folk.  I spoke with the caravan, and they said many of them have been coming south looking for work in Pesor Siti.  I'm pretty sure that's where the mousefolk was from, too."

"What about that weird metal man?" Zon asks.

"He didn't say.  Are we sure that's armor, or is there something else going on with that guy?"

"Regardless!"  Zon gets excited - I know that look, that passion now that she's got a project to chew on.  "Look, if we move the refuse stockpile south next to the stone piles, we've got plenty of space right here!"

"How'd you draw that so fast?  Wait, what did you even draw it on, who gave you that slate?"

"Look, we don't need these outsiders snooping around our fort.  I say, the more we're able to keep them outside and out of our business, the better!  So let's bring the booze outside to them, so we don't have to worry about them pulling something or seeing something they're not supposed to."

"What would they see that they're not supposed to?" asks Kikrost.

Zon and I fall silent.  At length, Zon responds, "I don't trust Minkot around them.  Who knows what kind of meddling he'll get up to if he gets his hands on them?"

Kikrost nods understandingly.  "Ah.  A fair point.  Speaking of, next time you see him, would you please let him know I've constructed the jails as he wished?"

"So close to the tax collector!  Wouldn't she be the first in danger if there were a jailbreak?"

"She's a tax collector, would you miss her?"

"Now you're speakin' my language!"  Zon says too excitedly.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:48:54 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: November 02, 2021, 06:31:36 pm »

3 Malachite, Mid Summer, 212 by Asob Momuzzokun
-------------

Asob.

"...Um, my hand is chiseling by itself.  What--"

Asob it is time.  You found me and now it is time to claim your power.

"What is this??  What's happening?!  I'm not writing--"

Honor me.  Honor me and I shall grant unto you unimaginable power.

"Power...?  But I don't... Sorry, whatever you are, that doesn't interest me."

Then you will soon find yourself sorely unequipped for the trial that is to come.

"Trial?  What trial?"

The trial that will determine your fate.  Minkot's fate.  Zon's fate.

"Minkot?  Zon?  Wait, what are you talking about?"

If you think you can save her yourself, so be it.  I will revoke my gifts and wish you the best of luck.

"Gifts... Wait a second."

I reach into my pocket and pull out the finger bone I found near the demon pit.  Sure enough, the bone is glowing blue, pulsating slowly.

You are on the path to salvation, but you will need my help to see it through.  If there is any hope of saving your souls, it will be through my guidance.

"And... wh-who are you, exactly?"

Look down.

I am currently standing in the hall between the front gate bridges and the trade depot, where engravings of our history tell our tale to visitors.  I am currently standing on--

"...No."

Very well.  I suggest you set your affairs in order.  You have little time left.

The light from the bone fades.  Something else, too... It's hard to explain, but the bone feels different now.  Not a change in texture, or weight, or anything physical, but before... It almost felt like it was humming.  Now, it's just an inert finger bone.

I'm shaking.  I don't understand what just happened, what it means, what the demon was saying to me.  It spoke as though it knows we're going to die.  How could it... no.  It's a demon.  It was just trying to scare me.

"Asob!"  I hear Kikrost call out to me.  I see her and Zon beckoning to me from the main stairwell.  "Come quick!  I've deciphered another of the scrolls.  Grab some strawberry wine and meet us in my chambers!"

"Don't keep us waiting!"  Zon waves as she follows Kikrost down the stairs.

Do I tell them?  For that matter, should I have written it down??  Oh, right... my hand was chiseling by itself.  It must want to be recorded.  What is this thing's endgame??  Regardless... I head to the stockpiles, fetch myself a mug of wine, down the whole thing in two gulps, then pour myself another, knowing that most likely Kikrost is going to throw her diamond in there and mess it all up.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 12:02:08 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54