Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]

Author Topic: Severedcoils (40d) - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5)  (Read 95622 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils (40d+5e) - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5)
« Reply #795 on: November 02, 2021, 07:21:20 pm »

3 Malachite (cont.)
-------------

I enter Kikrost's quarters.  The smell of incense wafts through the air - mm, dragonsblood, if I had to guess.  On her table is a pane of crystal glass, about two hands wide square.  Mounted on her walls is an iron two-handed sword recovered from a siege, and a well-crafted steel trumpet studded with exceptionally worked electrum and encircled with bands of exceptionally worked onyx.  It is adorned with hanging rings of exceptionally worked cave crocodile leather.

Steel, electrum, onyx, leather... I study the components of the trumpet carefully, examining each piece and how it was constructed.  I start putting them together in my mind, imagining building other things from the pieces.

"Asob!"  Zon claps her hands.  "Hello, wake up!  You just gonna stand there and stare at the wall?"

"I-- I'm sorry, I was just admiring this fine trumpet.  It fascinates me for some reason."

Kikrost looks at the trumpet and wrinkles her nose.  "It was there the last time you were here.  Been on that wall for some time.  You're only just noticing it now?"

"Ah, she's an Asėnite.  More focused on aesthetics than practicality."

"I do wish you wouldn't trivialize my behavior based on my beliefs," I say gruffly.  We've been on thin ice lately, Zon and I, and it frustrates me that she doesn't seem to be taking that seriously.

"Now now, you two behave.  We have an exciting discovery on our hands!  I've fully translated this scroll here - it's a spell called 'VISION.'  It appears to be a scrying spell of sorts!  We just specify what we want to see, and it will show up in this glass here.  We just need the right components!"

I sigh and offer my strawberry wine.

"Oh, how did you know?"  Kikrost takes the wine and dips a pig tail cloth into it, then wipes the surface of the glass with the wine-soaked rag.  "Now we just need your magic implement."  She holds her hand out to me expectantly.

I already know this isn't going to work, and I know why, but I pull out the finger bone anyway and hand it to her.  She takes the bone, holds it one way, turns it over and holds it another, puts it on the glass... nothing happens.

"Um... Here, maybe it only works for you."  She hands the finger bone back.  I sigh and do the same thing she did, to no effect.

"What's going on?"  Zon asks.  "Is it broken?"

"No..." I reply, hesitant.  "I think... it's run out of power."

"Ran out?  Well how do you recharge it?  Or can we just find another?  Maybe Quietust still has the one she used before."

"You mean the one we used to 'clean' the fort, and ended up opening the demon pit?"

"Yeah, that's the one.  Why don't you go ask her for it?"

Because it won't work.  I won't allow it.

I grit my teeth.  "Because... Look, Zon, Kikrost... We're messing with something really, really dangerous here.  This... magic, if that's what it is, is coming from the demon pit.  I don't know if I'm comfortable dealing with this stuff anymore."

Zon and Kikrost stare at me a while, not saying anything.  At length, Zon replies, "Well, Asob, I understand why you would feel that way.  We're dealing with something unexplained, unknown, and unpredictable.  It's risky!  But, we're dwarves.  We take risks to make progress."

"I have full confidence that the 'ESCAPE' spell is something truly miraculous," said Kikrost.  "There's still much to translate, but I'm getting hints of celestial influence from it.  Maybe whatever it is will rid us of the demons below?"

It won't.

"If we don't do this," Zon continued, "then we just go back to the way things are.  Living our day-to-day lives.  Following orders."  She emphasized that last point.  I know what she means... if Zon abandons her grim mission, Minkot will have her head.  And maybe mine, too.  "Nothing changes, until it's too late to go back.  But this... we might have a chance of breaking this cycle, if we see this through."

She's right.  You know what lies at the end of the path of procrastination.  Take action, or allow action to be taken upon you.

I'm breathing heavily.  I look to Zon, to Kikrost... back to the (≡«-Steel trumpet-»≡) on her wall, and then to the lifeless bone in my hand.

"...If we do nothing..."

Then your fate belongs to King Minkot.

"...our fates belong to King Minkot..."

"Yes, you're getting it!"  Zon exclaims.

Kikrost shifted her weight.  "Uh, you guys are doing that thing again where you're talking about something in front of me that I don't know about and maybe shouldn't.  It sounds like something I don't want to find myself wrapped up in."

"You really don't," Zon said.  She turned again to me.  "But, hey, Asob, if you're really not comfortable with this... I get it, there's demons in the pit, maybe we're biting off more than we can chew here... but, if we don't do something--"

"I get it.  Hold on, I'll be right back."

Asob Momuzzokun has been possessed!
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - The Baron Consort Retirement Home

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #796 on: November 03, 2021, 11:41:20 am »

Presumably not the "usual" type of possession, since Asob's already had a strange mood (and made that Garnierite bed).
Then again, I suppose anything is possible when Demons are involved.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 03, 2021, 05:18:04 pm »

Presumably not the "usual" type of possession, since Asob's already had a strange mood (and made that Garnierite bed).
Then again, I suppose anything is possible when Demons are involved.

Wow, you've got a great memory!  I'll be honest, while I was writing that I actually stopped and went "Wait, didn't she make something already?" but couldn't remember what.  And I even recently went through this entire thread and took notes on every page.
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 03, 2021, 05:43:44 pm »

4 mal
===

its done

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Very good.  This shall suffice.

k bed

Don't you want to try it out?

nobody makes two artifacts.  im tired.

I told you I would grant you power unimaginable.  And now, the scales have been balanced.  Your chances of surviving what will come are now about equal to your chances of meeting your demise.

and zon?

Not as good, but better now that you have my help.

k bed

Fine.  I look forward to watching you discover your new abilities.  Until tomorrow.
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 03, 2021, 07:50:35 pm »

5th Malachite, Mid-Summer, 212 by Asob Momuzzokun
-------------

I just woke up and everything looks different.  What

Is this... what the demon meant by 'gifts?'  My whole reality looks different!

Outside... I must see the world under a new sun!

I don't believe this... how can this be?  It's like the whole world just got more detailed!  Everything looks more beautiful than it did yesterday.  I wonder if this is the way Asėn sees the world...

"Good morning, Asob!"  Zon finds me gawking at the ballista towers.  "I heard you commandeered a craft workshop yesterday.  Getting tired of mining?"

I gingerly produce the crystal wand I'd crafted yesterday and show it to her.

"This is a crystal glass wand.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is studded with garnierite and encircled with bands of tin, silver and the leather of Azinodos Kezkķg Zoluth the giant bat.  It is decorated with carnelian, smoky quartz, and human bone.  On the item is an image of The Deified Furnace the Adamantine buckler in raw adamantine.  On the item is an image of a strawberry in red flash opal.  I call it Lushūtmeng - Guiltlashes."

Zon stared at the device with wide eyes.  "You... but you already made that bed."

"Azuzmozib Kebontishak, 'Somberswallows the Odorous Typhoon.'  The king himself sleeps in that bed.  Thank you for remembering."

"You used human bone?!  ...Ohh, that's the finger bone!"

"Of course.  I wouldn't choose to use the bones of a sentient being for any other reason."

"Well, does it work?"

"Let's go find out."

-------------

We find Kikrost in the forges, busy crafting something out of a slab of bismuth bronze.

"Kikrost!"  Zon waves to her.  "Take a break, we want to try that scroll again!"

Kikrost put down the hammer she was using to pound the metal into shape, and wiped the sweat off her brow.  "Zon, what's with this order for 11 bismuth bronze statues?  Where are you planning on putting these?"

I furrow my brow.  "Yeah, Zon, who said you could start giving orders again?"

Zon put her hands up in defense.  "Look, I know I said I'd stop, but... uh... well, you know how Minkot's been with us lately.  If he says to do something, I'm just not even going to question it anymore.  You know he won't take 'no' for an answer."

Kikrost was taken aback.  "Why didn't you say these were for the king?  I would have started this much differently.  Are they supposed to be of him?"

"No!  No no, just stick to the order.  Giant eagles, giant bats, wolves..."

"...And fish and cats?"

"Like I said, I didn't ask him any questions."

"There are already 11 nickel statues of the fortress's champions just sitting in the stockpile, why can't he use those?"

Zon shrugged.  "Again, didn't ask."

I shake my head.  "Well, let's hope he at least plans to install them somewhere we can all see.  Maybe he wants to expand the zoo?"

"Maybe!" said Zon.  "But hey, enough about the statues.  Asob's souped up the bone implement, so let's try activating that scroll again!"

"Alright then," said Kikrost.  "Let us retire to my chambers.  Oh- let's not forget the strawberry wine!"

"I wonder why that keeps coming up as a component in these spells?" wondered Zon.

"Beats me.  At least this magic tastes good!"

-------------

Kikrost's chambers look to be in the same state as two days ago - pane of glass on the table, sword and trumpet on the walls.  Yet, with everything around me looking so different, in so much more detail, the room feels almost foreign to me.

Kikrost procures the scroll.  "Ah, here it is - VISION.  Let us see what this does!"

"You shouldn't be proud of that," said Zon flatly.

Wait... it's a scroll of 'VISION?'  Did we actually activate this on me?  Or is this some bizarre coincidence?

There are no coincidences.

"Not now."

"Huh?"  Kikrost cocked her head.  "What's the matter this time?"

"Oh, no, sorry!  Not you.  Yes, let's see what happens..."

I draw Guiltlashes from the leather holster I made for it to wear on my belt.  As I hold it up, the bone set in the center of the device glows bright blue, illuminating the crystal rod up and down its length.  Even the gems embedded and lashed to it turns bright as the light radiates through them.

"Oooo, now that's a magic implement!"  Kikrost was grinning wide.  "Look at that!  You not only used components that are rumored to conduct magical energy, but you attuned the wand to this fortress by including relevant pieces of our history.  The garnierite is a reference to your previous artifact, yes?  How did you know to put all these things together in such a way?"

"I just... followed my intuition, I guess."

"Enough stalling," Zon exclaimed, "do the thing already!"

I hold up the wand and point it at the glass.  Kikrost reads some strange words from the scroll.  I feel the need to repeat the incantation after her.  It's apparently good enough - a beam of blue light shoots out from the smoky quartz affixed to the end of the wand and envelopes the crystal pane.

"Look!"  Kikrost almost knocked over her chair in her excitement.  "I see shapes moving on the glass!"

"Isn't this the same as what the FORTUNE spell was doing?" I ask.

"No, this is better!  That spell just gave us a still image.  Look, this image is moving in real time!"

We gaze into the glass, and from a bird's eye view, we see our band of adventurers leaving the town of Oakhurst in search of the magic apple we need for the 'ESCAPE' spell.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:28:31 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils (40d) - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5)
« Reply #800 on: November 08, 2021, 10:37:08 pm »

OOC: Just wanted to comment on some weird/cool stuff I've experienced messing around with this world.  The link in the previous post leads to 'The Sunken Citadel,' which was created on a copied saved in which I abandoned Severedcoils and started a new fort in the same world (Likewise with the Hearth of Wrath, which we'll get to later) (Don't worry, the original Severedcoils save is still active and will be used for future updates).

-Nelare, the tamed dragon, invaded the Hearth of Wrath, but arrived on site pre-tamed.  She just ran straight for the meeting hall and chilled there.
-Every fort I create, no matter where in the world or what civilization I use, is obsessed with The Deified Furnace.  That freaking adamantine buckler shows up *everywhere* - engravings, artifacts, and decorated goods frequently get an image of this buckler on it.  It's apparently world-famous.

While I'm here, I might as well talk a little about what's going on with the story and how it will affect pacing.  If it's not clear by now, I'm running a DnD campaign with some friends, using Severedcoils as their base of operations.  Their actions are canon to the story, and in time they will play a hand in deciding how this story ends.  As such, I'm trying to keep progress of this thread in step with progress in the campaign with respect to game time.  This means while the party is out exploring the dungeon, nothing's happening here, because it only takes a day or two in game time (but potentially months real-time) to get through a dungeon, while a typical update for this story spans several weeks.  To compensate, I'm narrating the party's progress in a separate thread (linked in the post above), which should be updated roughly every two weeks after we've played.  This means Severedcoils itself will end up going long periods without an update (no news there), but you can keep up with the story in the other thread until they've completed the dungeon - at which point Severedcoils should see a few updates until the party moves out to the next dungeon.

We are on track to eventually see an ending to this story!  It's waited long enough - and I think this new challenge of bringing DnD players into the story is what this thread needed, a breath of fresh air before the grand finale.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:18:50 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils (40d) - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5)
« Reply #801 on: January 14, 2022, 09:22:53 pm »

OOC Update: Did you miss the video replays?  Me too!  I've re-mastered every video in this thread and uploaded them to Youtube.  I've cut out excess camera movement and pauses, resulting in more fluid, action-oriented replays.  Each video link in the thread has been updated with a Youtube link, but the old DFMA links are still there for archival's sake.

Plus, while editing I've uncovered three videos that somehow went unused.  I've linked them here:

Oddom Goes Insane - ((Movie))

Dragon Execution 207 - ((Movie))

Fire Imped - ((Movie))

Obsidian Generator Improved - ((Movie))

The party is about 50% of the way done with the first dungeon, so it'll be another month or two before the next update here.  Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: Today at 01:36:53 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]