Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 125301 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 1)
« Reply #285 on: December 06, 2009, 04:49:06 pm »

Oof... thanks a lot, goblins!!  So, on top of possibly having a long wait for the baron to actually reach the fort, chances are he/she probably hasn't even left yet because of the dwarven caravan being held up.
Actually, it's probably just the goblins, not distance.

You could try having sieges disabled when autumn starts until the caravan arrives.  That'd eliminate the grind from the challenge.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:50:44 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 06, 2009, 07:37:16 pm »

What good is a window if it doesn't look at anything?  I did Sibrek a favor and had somebody drop a hoary marmot skull behind the glass, right next to his bed.  Watching.  Always watching.  While you sleep, Sibrek.  It will never stop watching you...

I, uh. That is awesome.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2009, 12:54:12 pm »

Oof... thanks a lot, goblins!!  So, on top of possibly having a long wait for the baron to actually reach the fort, chances are he/she probably hasn't even left yet because of the dwarven caravan being held up.
Actually, it's probably just the goblins, not distance.

You could try having sieges disabled when autumn starts until the caravan arrives.  That'd eliminate the grind from the challenge.

Well, if no one objects, I'm willing to try it next year.  I'm kind of proud of how this siege turned out so I don't want to revert the save to beginning of season, but then again the challenge kind of depends on it...

Easiest way to do it is call a vote.  Would you, the readers, rather I revert the save to start of autumn with sieges turned off to get the caravan, or play it as it lies?
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 07, 2009, 01:07:05 pm »

I'd keep going, and do it next autumn.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #289 on: December 07, 2009, 02:03:00 pm »

Looking back at an earlier update, I noticed the following quote by Zon:

"Rumors?! I'll tell you the kinds of things that lie behind [the Adamantine]--...".

Is this just a statement about the general horrors that lurk within, or does Zon happen to know exactly which type of clowns are hiding within the funhouse?

Because if she does know, she's not the only one...

Should you find it necessary to dig out more adamantine (in case further moods require it, and they very likely may), I would advise using the trick of smoothing the walls and carving fortifications to reveal the tiles beyond - the fortifications can be mined out to get the stone, and clowns won't path through them (though they may cause a lot of lag nonetheless).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 07, 2009, 05:53:19 pm »

I'd keep going, and do it next autumn.
Ditto.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 07, 2009, 07:52:41 pm »

Looking back at an earlier update, I noticed the following quote by Zon:

"Rumors?! I'll tell you the kinds of things that lie behind [the Adamantine]--...".

Is this just a statement about the general horrors that lurk within, or does Zon happen to know exactly which type of clowns are hiding within the funhouse?

Because if she does know, she's not the only one...

Should you find it necessary to dig out more adamantine (in case further moods require it, and they very likely may), I would advise using the trick of smoothing the walls and carving fortifications to reveal the tiles beyond - the fortifications can be mined out to get the stone, and clowns won't path through them (though they may cause a lot of lag nonetheless).

No, I have no idea what's in there.  Truth be told, this is my first time dealing with HFS, so I'm trying to be extremely careful about it.  I've tried to keep Zon's statements about her HFS experience as generic as possible so they could apply to any flavor.  Why, is there some clue about what's inside that I've missed?

I wouldn't have thought of the fortification trick... and so far, neither has Zon or Asob, so it would be really odd for them to suddenly think of it.  So for an added challenge, I'm going to wait until the Philosopher that you've claimed arrives to tell me to do this ;)  Speaking of which, where is that guy?

((FYI, this is me just now getting home from work, where I arrived at 7:30 AM.  Update unlikely, it takes a couple of hours to get a good story segment posted and I'm likely to pass out before then))
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:54:14 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #292 on: December 07, 2009, 09:33:00 pm »

There are no clues, so there'll be no way for you to know what's in the funhouse until you've cracked it open. The only way I know is because I genned the world (using the parms in the OP), embarked on the location, and dug into the pit. I'm sure it would be totally reasonable to request that anybody else who does this to not share their results.

The Philosopher is claimed to arrive at around 100 population, usually around the time the fortress becomes a County. Chances are, you might not get him/her until you become a Duchy, though even that can take a long time (Rhymestakes didn't become a Duchy until the population was close to 200).

As a possible explanation as to why a Philosopher would be able to solve practical problems (as opposed to stuff like "What is beauty?"), perhaps (s)he realized that it would be more useful to broaden one's horizons. Perhaps said knowledge was gained at a previous (abandoned) fortress where the technique had been used.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:38:27 am by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 08, 2009, 05:25:20 pm »

Dwarf philosophy: if a kitten is dropped in magma and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 08, 2009, 08:53:06 pm »

More importantly: do I get to drop the kitten, and if so, do I have to wear earplugs?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 08, 2009, 09:40:30 pm »

28th Limestone, 207, Early Autumn
-------------

Oh, so much blood!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A testament to our almost flawless victory over the goblins.  If only we could paint the entire mountainside red!

It's a shame we've embarked on red sand.  It makes it hard to see the blood.

During the siege, I had the miners dig out a few more square rooms near the craft shops and the forges.  These will become stockpiles for armor, clothing, metal ores, and such.  Purely administrative work, nothing interesting going on here...

Huh, for some reason a bunch of war dogs and a puppy have gathered around Nomal Ibelurist to watch him gather sand.  There are six war dogs, one is standing on top of the other, and both are standing on top of Nomal.  I... I think I'm going to walk away and find something else to look at.

After I'm done vomiting over the scene, I assign the stray work dogs to owners.  I hadn't realized we had so many war dogs just wandering around unowned!

It's apparently puppy season, since three war dogs simultaneously gave birth to puppies!  Weird, I didn't know dogs could synchronize like that... must be the whole 'breeding through spores' thing.  It also must be wolf season, because somehow we've managed to catch three wolves using the same cage trap this season.  Alternating between leaving it sit in a good spot and stationing military to scare the wolves away seems to be yielding high results!

Asob requests even more Tin items.  Seriously!  I don't even know where she's been all this time.  I've seen her hauling animals around all season, but she hasn't stopped by to visit in a while.  Maybe she's just really busy... making demands.  Really, I'll be happy when somebody else gets elected.  No offense, but getting demands from her of all people really gets on my nerves.

There's some exploratory mining going on.  I'm still in search of that underground river.

But first... a final testament to our dwarves.  ((Movie)) Let us honor their might with the fire of our greatest victory, the captured dragon Nelare.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:02:59 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 08, 2009, 10:05:51 pm »

Ha, Zon had better get used to those mandates and demands... that's kind of the idea of the challenge, hmmm?

I would like to suggest that the next megaproject have something to do with glass. Lots of glass.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 08, 2009, 11:00:13 pm »

Wait till you meet the Baroness Consort with a fetish for Crystal Glass and Adamantine, and constantly demands [Item in Room].
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #298 on: December 08, 2009, 11:53:26 pm »

Wait till you meet the Baroness Consort with a fetish for Crystal Glass and Adamantine, and constantly demands [Item in Room].

I had one of those in my last fort, though it was the Baron, not the Consort. Especially annoying because Rhymestakes was in the middle of a tropical forest, nowhere near mountains, and there were no rock crystals. I built a very special execution chamber for him and his wife.

[edit] Out of curiosity, what do you plan to do when a Consort issues an impossible mandate (crystal glass, or perhaps exotic animal leather items) and Zon gets sentenced to be hammered? With the number of Consorts you intend to collect, it's not a question of if, but when...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:51:40 pm by Quietust »

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 10, 2009, 01:03:06 pm »

[edit] Out of curiosity, what do you plan to do when a Consort issues an impossible mandate (crystal glass, or perhaps exotic animal leather items) and Zon gets sentenced to be hammered? With the number of Consorts you intend to collect, it's not a question of if, but when...

That's already taken care of.  Zon is Superdwarvenly Tough as a result of being in combat several times and counting inventory.  The pump room is essential for working my dwarves up in toughness so they can survive the hammerblows.  Asob, her backup, is up to Extremely Tough now, so she could use little more time exercising.  The pump room still only has two pumps because I don't want to delay production any more than necessary, but I'll install more later.

Now that you have me thinking of it again, I may forge a silver war hammer, forbid the Hammerer's hammer and all other hammers in the fort, and force her to pick up the silver one.  Better yet, I'll probably take a wooden hammer from the elves - same damage output, but it's more fun to think of the hammerer running around the fort with a wooden paddle.
Do it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 54