Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Feedback  (Read 48454 times)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Feedback
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2009, 06:38:09 pm »

I just want to see a titan carp.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2009, 06:39:49 pm »

How about a Kraken? :)

Although we need to put some cephalopod body definitions in to get something like that.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2009, 06:57:39 pm »

Oh man did I laugh when Toady was talking about not being able to control scamps and the sad music began to play.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2009, 07:17:02 pm »

I compiled a list of the highlights/new info we learned during this chat. It's definitely not 100% comprehensive like the transcript will be, but this should provide some info for those who haven't listened yet or didn't catch anything

http://dwarffortress.com/2009/10/16/highlights-from-the-dwarf-fortress-talk-3/

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2009, 08:23:48 pm »

So, either we can dig deeper down (pun and reference to the mod not really intended) or the world(s) that DF is in have a crust that is less than a mile thick.

About how deep would 15 z levels from the lowest 'ground' level be? I'm pretty sure it would be less than half a mile and considering the size of the new stuff.

Also, the FOW (Fog of War) is standard stuff for RTS games.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2009, 11:55:52 pm »

I just wanted to informally announce here that a new Dorf Shorts is about to release as well.

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2009, 12:52:42 am »

AWESOME.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2009, 01:33:49 am »

This is less FoW and more 'explored territory'- it doesn't re-disappear.

Alas, only once can you really get dozens of dwarfs cheering a word to be amusing.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2009, 02:12:35 am »

This is less FoW and more 'explored territory'- it doesn't re-disappear.

Alas, only once can you really get dozens of dwarfs cheering a word to be amusing.

Are you referring to my next episode?  It's not about soap this time.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2009, 05:21:28 am »

For some reason, the point about Elves being an immortal civilization caught my attention. So, here I go:

I read in a book on biology that hunters-gatherers used to live very happily and leisurely, comparing to us, except they had a very pressing question of population regulation because there is only so much you can hunt/gather from a strip of land you're living on, and only so many people you can feed. So, times were harsh, and people had to have measures: like killing unfit babies after birth. And so Elves could have ever slowing rate of population increase because they have birth control. And because of it Elves could have quite a stressful society and speech ethics connected to the population control. I assume, Elves are pretty much hunters-gatherers, and they don't have the leisure of cultivating land and fitting the world to their needs.
And also, they could have the initiation ritual, in which young elves have to prove their worth to the society. So, elven rangers-not-yet-initiates could stumble on your fortress in search of wisdom and new lands.
But then, after a war of Silmarillionesque scale, some elves could forget about their code. Why can't we have industrialist elves along with hippy elves?

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2009, 05:51:48 am »

Really fun to listen to. Can wait for the next one.

PsychoBuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2009, 08:21:43 am »

Toady, "Its always one of my greatest kicks. Looking at the forum and someone's like, ""It said someone has pulled a lever!"" (Both laughing), ""Then my fortress was flooded"" or whatever and I enjoy that kind of thing. I enjoy it when it happens because it is not a bug, it is just something horrible that happens."
Rainseeker, "So do you enjoy it when people lose tragically?"
Toady, "Yeah! Yeah, its good straight fun."

Oh, how sweet. Toady truly cares about his fans.  :D

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2009, 08:42:22 am »

I loved when I was listening to the questions and there was some guy who was like "The game should scale and adjust itself to the player, like, if I am a warrior, bandits should appear!" and Toady completely denied him.

I'm really glad to see that Toady is sticking with the original "This is the world it is the way that random numbers made it" philosophy that made me love DF so much.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2009, 01:16:23 pm »

The new underground stuff sounds so awesome... it's what I've felt was missing from the 3d version since it first came out - genuine underground terrain. I've longed for something to explore and discover down there besides the occasional pool, magma, or HFS. Add the new problem of reoccuring underground invaders, plus aboveground invaders, plus the new burrow system to try to keep your dwarves contained and safe... its' everything I wanted.

Well, not quite everything. I'm really looking forward to improved sieges. Imagine goblins that can bring catapults and break down your fortifications! Or build rafts/bridges over moats, or break down doors, or disable traps. Imagine never, ever, ever being safe, no matter how hard you try to make your fortress impregnable. Imagine, if you will, a totally secluded underwater fortress finally secure against goblins... only to be sieged by merfolk. BooYEAH! (OK, I don't think that's happening, but if it's possible to mod it in I will).

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2009, 03:08:28 pm »

Did I hear Toady imply that there would be randomly generated clowns? I am so excited for this.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7