Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Feedback  (Read 48234 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Feedback
« on: October 15, 2009, 08:48:47 pm »

The third one has been posted.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.

We're still deciding on what to do with the questions thread.  The current situation with a new thread each time might need to be changed, since most questions don't get asked and we might as well carry them over somehow, but that's also unwieldy in its own way.  Setting up an email account would be convenient for it, but for some reason my new server only lets me have a single one.

edit:  There's a transcript up on the page now.  Thanks as always to mallocks!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 02:01:35 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 08:53:03 pm »

You could open a free gmail account specifically for it. I use them for various things because it has a clean web interface and can pop3 to outlook.

Edit: First...!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:28:04 pm »

Woo! Doing things like this really helps bridge the wait time for the next release. I think it fair to say we're all rooting for you.

Also, the gmail could be set to filter out non-DF questions, and forward to your regular email, or whatever. Its quite flexible. I suppose you could also set up gmail for your domain ;P
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 09:31:03 pm »

Someone transcript it!
(I don't understand english, I just know how to read english...)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 09:43:43 pm »

If you can read english, wouldn't you be able to understand whats said as its the same as the words?

Anyways, a transcript would be cool too as I'm hard of hearing. :)

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 10:49:50 pm »

I don't understand, because it sound different as it's written...(In portuguese, "A" sounds like "E", I just know to read english, but I can't understand the talked english, it's hard to a brazilian learn english, and I think that would be hard to a american or english to learn portuguese)

P.S. I hate to be brazilian
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:56:31 pm by wilsonns »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 10:55:44 pm »

True, english has some wierd rules to it (I think), plus there are alot of words added from many other languages.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 12:12:16 am »

Our transcriber asked for us to post it right away.  He's working on it.  Be patient!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 12:14:34 am »

You know that eternal poll thing?

I suggest you do that with the questions.

&
I would love if the next version of DF came with detailed instructions on how to use the raws.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:24:07 am by eerr »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 12:28:51 am »

Our transcriber asked for us to post it right away.  He's working on it.  Be patient!

Kewl. :)

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 06:35:32 am »

Yay!  I love these.
You have struck Microcline!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 07:48:55 am »

If you can read english, wouldn't you be able to understand whats said as its the same as the words?

Anyways, a transcript would be cool too as I'm hard of hearing. :)

I can read english very well, but I can't write at the same level, and though I can understand spoken english, I have to concentrate a lot to do it. If I tried to speak it you would laugh at me.

There is more in learning a language than just knowing the grammatical rules and vocabulary. I myself learnt english mostly by myself, interested in reading some material I could only find in english. Never really practiced conversation in any way.

And besides all this, I'm quite hard at hearing...so I will wait for the trasncript.

Axeforgebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 08:01:48 am »

I don't understand, because it sound different as it's written...(In portuguese, "A" sounds like "E", I just know to read english, but I can't understand the talked english, it's hard to a brazilian learn english, and I think that would be hard to a american or english to learn portuguese)

P.S. I hate to be brazilian
Ha, I understand. I have a Brazilian friend. It's an okay country. And Portuguese actually isn't that hard to learn if you're starting from English- It's a lot simpler. English is an unwieldy, Frankenstein's monster-esque nightmare mash up of like 6 completely different languages.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 08:09:50 am »

Yay! Keep the talks coming, they are great!

And ya, speaking or understanding someone speaking another language is much harder than reading/writing it. When reading or writing it, you at least get the chance to edit or read slowly. When people talk, it is usually much more rapidly than someone who is translating it in their head can handle. When reading it, you have all the time you want.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 08:40:48 am »

English is an unwieldy, Frankenstein's monster-esque nightmare mash up of like 6 completely different languages

Yes that is a pretty accurate Metaphor. There is a reason why Beef isn't called Cow.

Anyhow I can barely remember what I wanted to comment about. It all seems good with nothing to complain about. Excellently done, though I always wish we could get through more questions... but I understand that it cannot be done because you arn't going to do short answers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7