Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Feedback  (Read 48224 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #3: Feedback
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 08:50:06 am »

I don't understand, because it sound different as it's written...(In portuguese, "A" sounds like "E", I just know to read english, but I can't understand the talked english, it's hard to a brazilian learn english, and I think that would be hard to a american or english to learn portuguese)

P.S. I hate to be brazilian
Ha, I understand. I have a Brazilian friend. It's an okay country. And Portuguese actually isn't that hard to learn if you're starting from English- It's a lot simpler. English is an unwieldy, Frankenstein's monster-esque nightmare mash up of like 6 completely different languages.

More if you count those picked up from Native American languages (alot of place names and states origionate from Native American languages) and the occasional word from other non-european languages. English pretty much reflects the multi-cultural entity that the US is, and the fact that several European powers were colonizing the Americas during the colonial period.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 08:52:30 am »

If you can read english, wouldn't you be able to understand whats said as its the same as the words?

It's easier to read than to listen because you can do it at your own pace. I can read perfectly in French, but Parisians speak so fast that I have trouble following movies and TV shows.

Belgians speak slowly enough that it's not a problem. I guess they're just more laid-back.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 09:28:11 am »

The third one has been posted.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.

We're still deciding on what to do with the questions thread.  The current situation with a new thread each time might need to be changed, since most questions don't get asked and we might as well carry them over somehow, but that's also unwieldy in its own way.  Setting up an email account would be convenient for it, but for some reason my new server only lets me have a single one.

I'm always a big fan of repurposing existing code.... In this case, the suggestions voting :)

It has the advantage of separating the questions from the discussions about the questions, plus you can see what people like most without needing to vote on a 'topic'.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 10:15:01 am »

Heheh... I think English was invented in England, not America

More if you count those picked up from Native American languages (alot of place names and states origionate from Native American languages) and the occasional word from other non-european languages. English pretty much reflects the multi-cultural entity that the US is, and the fact that several European powers were colonizing the Americas during the colonial period.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 10:26:45 am »

Heheh... I think English was invented in England, not America

I was referring to American English, not British English. Also, English actually has its roots in germanic languages. Given how large the british empire was, I'm sure they picked up some words from other languages.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 11:33:40 am »

Saying English is Germanic is still a bit oversimplistic, considering how many roots it has pretty much everywhere.

At any rate, though, reading a foreign language often IS easier than hearing it. I know that if I look at Dutch (which I've never really studied), a lot of it is pretty intelligible to me, but if I listen to it I can hardly understand anything.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 11:43:06 am »

Toady should finish up dwarvish, then we wont need regionalizations!

Learning curve be damned.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 12:06:02 pm »

All non-english people who have trouble, do what i do: get your most favorite series or movies and just watch them without subtitles.

You will learn quite fast.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 12:14:16 pm »

Ah, fun. Made my day :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 01:00:07 pm »

Holy crap awesome. Hearing toady get attacked by scamps while talking about future features aways makes my day. I myself can't wait to head into a good area and meet a purple haired giant shrimp of love, then peel its shell off with an axe.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

mallocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 01:47:29 pm »

Working on the transcript guys, will try to have it off to Toady by Monday.

Just a quick query for those who read it as they find listening to it hard to understand; are contractions (I'm, they're, and so on) ok, or are they confusing? It would be simple enough for me to expand them out as I type it up, so if they are a problem, or even an annoyance, just let me know please.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 01:49:50 pm »

Soap:  Soap can use vegetable oils instead of animal fats.

Tunnels:  This scares me... Hopefully we'll be getting more than 15 levels now!  If 50% of what used to be your ore sources are now open caves...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 01:54:10 pm »

I don't use the transcripts myself, but I wanted to note that you are awesome for doing that. It's got to be a lot of work!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 02:06:26 pm »

Hell yeah!  New DF talk!

Also, I tend to think of languages as more like 4 separate (but interrelated) skills rather than 1.  The skills being reading, writing, speaking, and listening.

Also, go mallocks! 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2009, 02:11:20 pm »

Just a quick query for those who read it as they find listening to it hard to understand; are contractions (I'm, they're, and so on) ok, or are they confusing? It would be simple enough for me to expand them out as I type it up, so if they are a problem, or even an annoyance, just let me know please.

Bieng a native english speaker, I don't have a problem with that. Could be a problem for speakers of other languages though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7