Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Vote for the next topic for Dwarf Fortress talk - Episode #4!

The Trades:  Blacksmithing, Crafting, Soapmaking and the like
- 0 (0%)
World Gen & History Gen:  Building A Unique World
- 0 (0%)
Listen to Toady get mauled by Scamps for half an hour.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 26, 2009, 09:39:48 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #4: Topic Vote  (Read 38035 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #4: Topic Vote
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 02:06:22 pm »

Oh man, that was a tough choice. I almost went with three, but since it'll happen anyway... I'll go with #2. I've spent more time making the parameters than I've spent playing with several worlds.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 04:31:44 pm »

World gen for me. Scamps is cute, but it's only audio.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 05:17:19 pm »

World gen for me. Scamps is cute, but it's only audio.

If we had video of the event, however...
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 06:57:28 pm »

I'd like to know about trades, only because Toady doesn't talk about it much and there are a lot of questions I've been wondering.

Does he plan to require a carbon source for smelting independent of the heat source? (carbon's necessary for the smelting reaction, it's all on wikipedia)
Just what the heck is "crystal glass" anyway? Best I can figure it's just really high-purity glass because it's made from rock crystals.

You know, stuff like that.

World generation and that stuff is great, and probably more interesting from an objective standpoint, but it seems to get talked about more. On IRC, at least, the questions people have tend to be more about the industries and such in the game.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 06:59:35 pm »

I cannot remember but there is a term for when something that didn't get a lot of votes beats something that got more votes then it once the first option is taken away.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 07:46:56 pm »

I cannot remember but there is a term for when something that didn't get a lot of votes beats something that got more votes then it once the first option is taken away.

This is one possible way for that to happen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote_splitting

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 09:06:35 pm »

This is one possible way for that to happen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote_splitting

I'm almost positive that won't happen here, but we can hope, can't we?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 09:27:39 pm »

Well specifically if World Gen doesn't win. Then we had a Vote split situation.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 11:46:57 pm »

Gah... Mauling, trades, mauling, trades, mauling the trades...

Well, we'll find out about the trades when the release comes out. MAULING!
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 11:50:10 pm »

I wish the mauling was code for the Individual Combat topic from before.  I'd vote for that so hard.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 07:20:37 am »

I've voted world gen, it just seems to me like that would fit in perfectly with the last topic. And I just find it very interesting.

The mauling was a very close second choice though, so I hope we get that as an extra.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

PsychoBuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2009, 11:31:40 am »

Voted for world and history gen. Mainly because I find the variety of behavior in DF history interesting. I also just love history.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2009, 12:27:36 pm »

Man, the entire POINT of DF is the world generation and the history surrounding it. That better win!

Totally.  I probably spend as much time reading Legends as I do actually playing the game.  I also primarily play Adventure Mode (despite it being even more unfinished than the rest of the game) because right now it's the only way to really experience and participate in the world.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2009, 12:31:49 pm »

I'm going for World gen, because it might spread to dwarf personalisation. There is something about the idea of knowing the age and appearance of your dwarves that make it so much more personal.
Also, it could include plans on what different worshippers will do. So there might be a sacraficial cult, there might be a righteous religion, others might be war worship. In other words, Aztec sacrifice, Christian 'holier than thou', and Norse 'Die in battle, not in bed.'

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 08:16:30 am »

I had to go with trades. I want to hear more about what Toady has in mind for custom workshops and expanding the crafting options. Hmm. I'll have to prepare some questions for this.

Ditto... Even though I'm interested in world-gen I think modding possibilities wins out this time  :).

PS - Toady if you mention something, anything about Dig Deeper in the interview you will rock my world  :o.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7